Playing technique sounds strange after recording it

Hello,

Some notes of the viola staccato or accent don’t play properly and the sound is like Tenuto.

I recorded a cello part in real-time with a midi keyboard without articulation
and copy and paste it to the viola part and add articulations.

Reset playback override fixed it but it would be nice to not have to do this workaround,

CleanShot 2022-07-07 at 11.46.36

It’s not a workaround. If you record music in real time, Dorico preserves the durations you played. If you don’t want them, then you can either switch off the option to record them in the first place, or you can remove them after the fact.

Thank you Daniel for your reply.

It’s nice that Dorico preserves the duration played during real-time recording.
(I just found that MIDI input latency compensation. 20 ms helped to be more accurate on my computer)

On the screenshot, the midi note is on the grid but the playing technique is a little off.
I would like Dorico’s plays properly Playing techniques even if not recorded at the perfect time.

A real-time record quantization option to get quantized playback would be great.
Going to the Play menu and then going to the Reset playback override each time is time-consuming.

Also, In Play Mode, it would be nice to be able to zoom in and out with the keyboard and the trackpad

Maybe it’s another problem but for staccato, when notes are before the beat they are not played as staccato. (see screenshot)
I had input notes manually also and get the same result.
CleanShot 2022-07-08 at 10.10.00

You will find some discussion of this very thing in another recent thread, here:

Daniel,
Despite of the whole discussion about staccato playback, notation rules and how Dorico follows them to the letter I still find the actual solution having a hiccup at best. Just bear with me: I write my tune playing sus dotted crotched followed by regular crotchet, but I don’t like it and think, perhaps staccato would sound better. To try my idea I simply add staccato and we are back to the problem, one note triggers staccato samples, the second turns into tied quavers and is played 75% sus. To make my experiment happen I will now need minimum 3 clicks to shorten the note and make it staccato or 5 clicks to turn tied quavers into a staccato crotched and only then my library will trigger staccato sample. That is tiresome and if there is a faster and smarter way to do such a simple experiment I would love to learn it ASAP.
Please, don’t think that I rise this problem to simply defend my point. All of us working with sampled libraries, even from the highest shelves, quite often face situations when a given instrument does not sound the way we want it, so we experiment. I do it often and this particular problem hit me quite a few times. Leaving the need for literally following the rules aside I would suggest that Dorico gives us the choice between using fast (a "Sibelius bad"one, as someone pointed out) notation where articulations are played as notated and the actual, “correct” one, or better, the “working” notation and “publishing” notation. I’d really prefer to use my time for music than for unnecessary clicks. I hope you’d agree.
Witold

I’m sympathetic to the view that it would be helpful to have an option for this behaviour, i.e. that a staccato on a tied note should be treated the same as a staccato on a non-tied note, but I’m not sure when we would be able to implement it.