Playing Techniques For Use With VSL

Not with D. atm, but my impression is that PTs must be assigned to notes, but that their playback timing can be adjusted as mentioned above…(ctrl-alt-<-)

Okay, I have attached some screenshots below and in the next post that demonstrate what I am running into.

As an example I am trying to introduce a custom Playing Technique Portato to the Winds category and assigned both a Playback Playing Technique and an Expression Map entry. I have made the assignment twice to notes in WRITE mode for a Piccolo. I have entered a “nat” prior to these assignments and nudged them to the left of the PT change. So far as I can tell I have done so using the steps as outlined.

But when you look at the Playing Techniques Lane in PLAY for this instrument, there is no indication of any of my entries, and playback is not affected.

Here are the rest…
Dorico VEP Setup 1.0 - Copy Playing Techniques.zip (1.56 MB)

Ah, thanks. I did not know about Ctrl-Alt. Much obliged.

I do not presume you have all day to educate me…

I have made the nudges but the only difference is in the visual in WRITE mode where I can see Nat. nudged a little to the left so as to be before the Portato. But the Playing Techniques Lane in PLAY looks the same as in my attachment above. No change there.

:slight_smile: By the way, I fully realize Portato is not an appropriate playing technique for the notes affected in this example. This is for illustrative purposes only.

Well, I was wrong, and as Dan already mentioned, you can indeed enter PTs with the caret active anywhere, so if you enter nat. before the new articulation, it will also show correctly in Play mode. The nudging (on the same midi event) still works, and will play back correctly even if it doesn’t appear correctly in the PT lane in Play mode.

Ah, somehow missed your post. Thanks.

I’m back at it, having taken what steps I can discern from everyone’s help. While I have learned some valuable things in this process, the same end result remains. In my sample project the playing technique-playback playing technique-expression map system works for staccato as indicated in my Piccolo staff. I can look at VE Pro and see the matrix cell changes between staccato and natural. But when I introduce portato, which I have I believe set up properly, playing technique does not show up in Play Mode and no matrix cell change happens in VE Pro. I have added cancelling Nats tied to the staff right before each of the two portatos. Still the expected results don’t show.

I am attaching new versions of the appropriate screenshots and a zipped copy of the Dorico file.

More attachments:

And the zipped Dorico file:
5 Dorico VEP Setup 1.0 Example File.zip (1.56 MB)

Your expression map shows portato (not capitalized). But the technique you defined shows Portato (capitalized). I added the technique to the expression map with the correct capitalization and it is now showing up in play mode. Not sure how you managed to get portato in the technique list not capitalized.

Also, I changed Portato to be a direction instead of an attribute. And it seems if you make a change to the definition of a playing technique, you need to remove and re-enter them in the score.

Thanks for the suggestion.

The non-cap version is from the Text field of the Playing Technique editor. My understanding is that what shows in the score. But the Playing Technique Name is Portato, as it is also selected in Playback Playing Techniques.

If I understand this correctly, this should be okay.

OK, but you were asking why yours didn’t work. I believe it is because you defined a playing technique called Portato, but in your expression map you used portato. These aren’t the same.

Because of how much easier Attributes are to edit in Cubase (via dropdown) than Directions (omitted from the dropdown), I’m used to only using Directions in a limited number of cases. But I can see how in Dorico your way is probably better.

But I’m not sure how that would affect what’s happening in this case. And I have repeatedly tried to delete and re-enter the portato playing technique.

Again, thanks. I really appreciate all pointers, and I will test yours out to see if they help in this case.

Oh, I see, you are talking about in the Expression Map. Let me check that out. Thanks.

BINGO! You had it right. I had to create a new Expression Map selection corresponding to Portato, not portato.

At first it didn’t seem to help, but I figured I’d save and restart the Project. When I checked the Playing Techniques lane in Play Mode, it showed Portato, and the appropriate messages were sent to VEP.

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Since November real life blew me out of the water on following up with what I learned in this thread about implementing VSL playback. I am now trying to pick up the pieces and get back at it.

As an exercise I created a score of the opening bars of Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, Movement III, adagio molto e cantible. To start with I created simple, two-playing-technique expression maps, one for all Winds (woodwinds and brass) and another for Strings. The two playing techniques are Natural and Legato.

I assigned the first note of the score for each instrument to Legato. When I first looked at the Playing Techniques lane in Play mode, I noted that the technique Natural had intruded itself into the lane even though I had not entered it. I thought perhaps the presence of phrases interrupted by periods of rest might require a new Legato for each new phrase, so I added Legato to the first note of each phrase. But that didn’t seem to help, so I removed the additional Legatos, then saved and restarted the project in case that would help.

I am left with the continued presence of unexpected Naturals in the PT lane, PT’s not entered in the score. I have attached two screen captures, one of the Strings part of the score in Write mode, the other of the Playing Techniques lane of the String instruments.

I know there is an explanation, I just don’t know what it is. So I’m asking for more help from the faithful here.

And here’s my project file in case it helps…
Beethoven Symphony No. 9 Movement III.dorico.zip (906 KB)