PLEASE address issues & missing features from previous vers.

I’m re-posting a link to a topic in the old forum… I don’t really understand why the more recent topics “AT LEAST” weren’t moved to this new forum???

Anyway…

Here’s my issues:
I have been using Wavelab just about everyday since Version 2 & have a few issues & or questions.
I run a facility for $$$ & depend on my tools & came to trust my previous versions of CB.

One Major issue I have:
The SPECTROGHAPH has changed to show a MUCH deeper level, like -90 dB or so - while the old WL only showed about -36 dB which I became VERY accustom to … Why has this changed & HOW can I change the scale??? This is very important to see what’s going on in a smaller range… when mastering the new scale is WAY too much!
I really like WL7 but this is a problem for me.
PG, Before you answer I’ll post your original response:

Just next to the Spectrum tab, there is a Setting icon. Click on it and you can adjust what you call the depth.

MASTER Section = it’s buttons & what’s up with the dB scale?

It has been made more accurate near 0 dB. Since the Master Section height can vary, this scale is rebuilt when size changes.

Philippe

PG,
Thanks for responding but that’s not the right window… It’s actually called “Spectroscope”
I’ve looked everywhere & cannot find how to adjust the scale???
PLEASE don’t tell me I’m stuck with a -96dB scale… I don’t mind being able to have the “Option” to look that deep (-96db) into the music but it’s just too much when mastering!
For years I’ve used Wavelab & not only got used to it but like the range it had (aprox = -36dB) HOPFULLY it’s adjustable & not “Fixed” in this new Version 7.

Thanks. Kevin

PG wrote:
Spectroscope? I thought you meant Spectrogram.
I plan to add a scale setting> , but you must understand that this is a “scope” not a “meter”, which means this view it to give a rough estimation of the frequency contents. For a more accurate display, the more standard FFT view is to be used.

Cool, I look forward to that update.

Also, I do understand that the Scope is more of an “Average” but is is possible to add the options to make it more accurate?
(like RME’s digicheck software… it also has the “Bar - Spectroscope” but it’s called “Spectral Analyzer” & has several adjustment options)
I’m sure you’re familiar with it… if not, you should check it out.

It would be great to have that inside of WL7.

Thanks PG!

To put a finer point on it: I virtually ALWAYS master with SpectraFoo running BOTH Spectragram and Spectragraph (their version of your scope). If we could trim the scale as suggested, and include an “infinite hold” option with some manual clear mechanism, I would probably not bother and rely entirely on WL7.

This is beneficial to you as well as users; Generally speaking one less DSP-hogging app running on customer machines is a good thing, making support easier (thus cheaper to deliver). If nothing else, it lets you tell users “turn off Foo” during troubleshooting/bug-hunts, without a lot of undue drama.

Some tweaking of this feature is in order for it to be more than bling…

David

PG… When will this be addressed

VU Meter RMS readings measure HIGHER than earlier versions of WL… aprox 2dB.
The behavior of the OUTPUT METER (stand alone window, NOT master section meter!)
OK, This one is really messing with me… #1 it’s not reading the output levels the same as EVERY version of CB before this one… particularly the “Center - Green” RMS Level
Before you tell me I can change the “Way it works”… I already know that & NONE of the settings get me there… WHY? & why did it change …& to what?
Another thing I don’t understand is:
Why would you add the “KATS” Metering but leave out the “RMS - Kats Metering”???

This is the one I use the MOST!

Please add SOME sort of RMS Metering choice… preferably the KATS!!!

Here are a few other issues I have jotted down:

• Select clip (montage) doesn’t show “Length” when selected (it use to down on the right bottom of the window)

• Select range (wave) doesn’t show “Length” when selected (it use to down on the right bottom of the window)

• Clip effects:
    When changing to alternate UAD plugs they don’t unload the 1st one & consumes UAD resources.
    Should have a MASTER BYPASS - for ALL in the clip plugin chain

Also, the “Chain” should have the option of being saved… + saved to a format/file that can be opened in the MASTER SECTION Plugs.
This would be MORE than a “Feature”… it’s about workflow & this would be VERY cool!

• Mete Normalizer - Not only is slow as hell but after completing the process, it doesn’t “SHOW” the actual gain changes to the file…. The older WL versions did, when holding the curser over the volume envelope line.

• No option to “Create Folder” when saving master preset chains!
    *** CORRECTION - There is BUT there’s NO “Navigation control” to “Choose” the location you want to PUT the “new Folder”!!! Crazy & a PITA

• No option to RENAME when “rendering a CLIP” from the montage… this is a PITA

***PG, sorry if my tone may come off too aggressive… I wrote many of these issues down when I was frustrated… working on important, time conscious & payed sessions. My questions here are not random & were well thought out before posting.

thanks!
I look forward to your response & hopefully some light at the end of the tunnel for a few of these issues.

Kevin

#1 This will appear in next update.

#2 Never heard about this one. And I don’t really see how this is possible. What way to reproduce the problem? Did you try sine test files, that’s how you can measure things.

• Select clip (montage) doesn’t show “Length”
    when selected (it use to down on the right bottom of the window)

Yes it does, as in 6

• Select range (wave) doesn’t show “Length” when
    selected (it use to down on the right bottom of the window)

Yes it does, as in 6

When changing to alternate UAD plugs they don’t unload the 1st one & consumes UAD resources.
Should have a MASTER BYPASS - for ALL in the clip plugin chain

This has not changed since 6. I will see if something can be improved.
In the mean time, a solution would be “Clear Undo memory”.

Also, the “Chain” should have the option of being saved…

• saved to a format/file that can be opened in the MASTER SECTION Plugs.
    This would be MORE than a “Feature”… it’s about workflow & this would be VERY cool!

Would be nice indeed. But there are compatibility issues. Some Master Section plugins can’t be included in a montage (DX, resampler).
Then, that would be more an “import” function.
But don’t expect this before >= 7.2

• Mete Normalizer - Not only is slow as hell but after completing the process,
    it doesn’t “SHOW” the actual gain changes to the file….
    The older WL versions did, when holding the curser over the volume envelope line.

WaveLab 7 shows this level, just as in 6.

• No option to “Create Folder” when saving master preset chains!
    *** CORRECTION - There is BUT there’s NO “Navigation control”
    to “Choose” the location you want to PUT the “new Folder”!!! Crazy & a PITA

I don’t see what you mean, you can navigate to any folder (double click), but these folders by design must be children of a specific folder.

No option to RENAME when “rendering a CLIP” from the montage… this is a PITA

Renaming what? What do you expect more exactly?

Philippe

#2 Never heard about this one. And I don’t really see how this is possible. What way to reproduce the problem? Did you try sine test files, that’s how you can measure things.

I’m telling you from experience… the metering is not the same as it was before.
I have 2 separate PC’s running in my studio & had the same files running but one was on WL5 & the other WL7… the levels don’t read or respond the same… now this is in the “Standard” mode on WL7.
The level is HIGHER on WL7.

What about the KATS RMS? … is there a reason why it wasn’t added?
That would be GREAT!
It’s possible the OLDER WL meter was RMS (or had the option) & it’s not in WL7?
The is NO Option for RMS on WL7… I can’t be alone on this one.

• Mete Normalizer - Not only is slow as hell but after completing the process,
    it doesn’t “SHOW” the actual gain changes to the file….
    The older WL versions did, when holding the curser over the volume envelope line.

WaveLab 7 shows this level, just as in 6.

OK… I don’t see it but I’ll look again.
still though, why so slow?

No option to RENAME when “rendering a CLIP” from the montage… this is a PITA

Renaming what? What do you expect more exactly?

Well… when I was working in the Montage I had plugins applied to individual songs, when I went to render them (individually) it automatically named them a generic name of the file I was rendering… basically your “stuck” with that name… no choice to rename it what you (I) want unless I go to that folder (outside of WL) & do it manually.
Unless I missed something, it seems strange & is wasted time doing extra steps that there should be options for.
*** This problem is what gave me the idea about sharing the plugin chains with the master section… yea, that would be nice.

Before I respond to anything else, I will go back & recheck the other items.

Thanks for your response & time PG… I’m getting more use to it but it still feels cluttered & less streamlined than I’d like it to be… or should I say "“use” to be. Overall I do like some of the changes & can adapt.
K

I’m telling you from experience… the metering is not the same as it was before.
I have 2 separate PC’s running in my studio & had the same files running but
one was on WL5 & the other WL7… the levels don’t read or respond the same…
now this is in the “Standard” mode on WL7.

As far as the Aes-17 setting is the same, I can’t see any difference here (WaveLab 6 vs 7).
Running WaveLab 6 & 7 in the same time, with the same file.
And sine files show that the meter is properly calibrated.

Please check with sine files and show me pictures…

What about the KATS RMS? … is there a reason why it wasn’t added?
That would be GREAT!

The K-System is available in 7 as in was in 6, from the Level Meter setting dialog.

still though, why so slow?

For me this does not appeat so slow, but RMS computations are rather CPU hungry.

PG

Just by way of re-assurance … in a calibrated system our experience is that the VU meters are definitely correct. We have two sets of ‘real’ VUs running … one straight from the DA converters and these always ‘match’ WL 7’s VUs.

So, no problem?

No. No problem at all here. I was supporting your VU meter observations. That was my point.