Please drop VST2 support in Cubase 10 or further releases.

I finally think I need to suggest you Steinberg to get VST2 support dropped in Cubase 10 / Nuendo 9 or further releases. (I changed the version number expected since it looks still too early for Cubase 9 / Nuendo 8)

The reasons were referrable from these threads:

Continuing support VST2 equals to continuously spoiling these manufacturers. This is the reason why they never give VST3 a **** for at least 5 years (I forgot when did VST3 come out).

Also, continuous support of VST2 is something similar to VSTBridge (a burden to Cubase / Nuendo development team).

If some people need VST2, just let them stay with old versions of Cubase / Nuendo because they are more likely to hesitate to upgrade their operating systems (making them one less reason to use new version of Cubase / Nuendo).

Hope not… sorry

This will be a reason for Steinberg to keep VST2.4. People won’t upgrade then and Steinberg needs their/my money, right.
And I am hoping Cubase 9 (or will they call it 10 or X) will still work on windows 7. Otherwise no go for me for now. I will catch up with Cubase 11 and windows 13 then when I build a new system.

Don’t be an idiot! Of course it’s about money but that said; it’s about supporting the vast majority of users! And that means you too! The vast majority using Cubase 8.5 Pro is not ‘the rich people’. It’s you and I with home studios. The ‘rich’ people all use ‘Pro Tools’ because that’s still the standard in modern day studios. But believe me, it sucks in midi instruments handling!

Forget about your fears and just upgrade to Windows 10. You can still do this for free until the end of this month.
Believe me, we will not need to have this conversation anymore after and you’ll thank me later!

Seeing as Steinberg have announced that all future releases will be 64-bit only there will be a natural decrease in the number of VST2 plugins in use as the vast majority of the troublesome ones never got 64-bit versions anyway.

Nevertheless I think it is totally unreasonable to request that a feature whose continued presence is bothering nobody (exept perhaps the OP) be dropped for no apparent reason. Kontakt for example works perfectly well as a 64-bit VST2 on Windows 10. If Steinberg were to drop VST2 for Cubase 9, it would result in people not upgading to Cubase 9, so as to be able to continue using Kontakt. Seeing as VST2 is an open standard, Steinberg dropping it would stop precisely nobody from implementing a new VST2 plugin should they so desire.

What next? Drop MIDI because the OP doesn’t use it?

Have you researched much about why more 3rd party developers haven’t jumped on the VST3 bandwagon? I don’t think they are just being lazy. :slight_smile:

I think your suggestion would be commercial suicide.

It’s certainly not a matter of whether I use it or not, but VST3 runs more efficient and could have more possibilities (just right-click somewhere handle-able onto the VST panel and you could immediately assign MIDI control with it). Looks like you guys think too far, faster than how Hongkong journalists run but still failed to get it.

That’s why I changed the title and the 1st post regarding version numbers. It still needs some time for 64-bit transition first prior to VST2 deprecation.

The only thing I agree with you is the experience of MIDI editing in Pro Tools (made me feel like falling back to those eras not civilized). Note that rich people uses Nuendo (much more expensive than Pro Tools).

It’s suicide. Way too many commonly used plugins aren’t exactly new and have no other reason to receive any further changes or updates, so a lot of them would never receive a VST3 version. Even if every major plugin developer made only VST3 plugins from now on, a lot of tools and synths that are considered important by many people would be unusable if VST2 support was dropped.

Dropping official VST2 support will only be feasible about 10 years after all major developers adopt VST3 or VST4, when most VST2-only plugins will probably have VST3 alternatives.

Getting Ableton to support VST3 in their DAWs (every other major DAW supports it) would probably be a much bigger incentive for developers to make VST3 plugins than Steinberg dropping VST2 support.

:laughing: With all due respect, I think it may be that you have not thought far enough. Would it not make more sense for you to go on to the NI and VSL forums and urge them to create VST3 versions of their products?

I think Steinberg are already taking a commercial risk by going 64-bit only on future releases (I can’t wait to see the forum light up when people start asking where all their SynthEdit-based plugins have gone!) and it will be a further nudge in the direction VST3 but I can’t see VST2 support being removed any time soon.

I’ve got the PCM Native Reverb Plug-in Bundle which is VST 2.4. It’s really a GREAT plugin (I have also a PCM 91 and a PCM 81 units).

I have no idea whether Lexicon intends to update its products to VST3 so, following the OP’s practical suggestion, I could lose one of the best reverberation plugin I have. For what reason exactly? For immediately assign MIDI controls?

In general I’m really into keeping up with the latest hardware/software changes, but its interesting that we are starting to lose the heritage which has been built up over the years in terms of VST instrument and effect development.

This is a bit like the period where moogs were chucked in skips, or old broken crybabys were left to rust outside in favour of multi-fx footpedals and digital synths - how I wish I’d picked up a few bargains at the time!!!

As an example, I regularly use ModDelay because it has a specific sound and an easy setup but it’s only 32bit. It could be said to be one of my signature sounds… The sound will be sorely missed by me, and maybe even by my listeners…

Fortunately we have gifted and generous people who like to provide solutions to running old plugins (like J of JBridge) so I just hope that they will continue to keep these old things up and running well into the future :slight_smile:

Of course the best solution is for all manufacturers to embrace their heritage, be proud of their early attempts at plugins and re-issue them all - sell them to us again! I think that might just happen albeit slowly, just like we started to rescue the old moogs and reissue and revive the old hardware units!!

Mike.

As I see it, you could keep your vintage Mac mini or Intel NUC and get your old DAW w/ old plugin installed. For anytime you want to use it, just treat your Mac mini or NUC as hardware sound modules.

As what I addressed in my last reply, this plugin could be put into your alternative old Mac mini or Intel NUC with old DAW or Vienna Ensemble Pro so that your old Mac mini or NUC could be a hardware sound module or hardware FX. Also, you don’t have to purchase another copy of Cubase for your Mac mini or NUC – simply ask for a trial license of Nuendo and you could use it for more than half a year (since you don’t need to let it run realtime); or, Cubase AI.

And what about simply keeping the VST2 support?

Or maybe Steiberg should spend some resources on making it easier for developers to move their plugins from vst 2 to vst 3. If that at all is possible.

Yeah this is of vital essense.

The current VST SDK already makes that very easy.

Yet many competent developers like “uhe” have struggled getting it right. Apparently it is not as simple, or there is need for clarification in form of more code examples.