Please drop VST2 support in Cubase 10 or further releases.

Well I was thinking the same: Why aren’t all plugins VST3 after such a long time? AFter chjasing windmills it seemed to be pretty complicated to move over to VST3. And some people say that there are not that many advantages. Me personally want to have a clean DAW as possible and would like to have only VST3 plugins installed. But that’s hardly an argument when so much work in recoding is involved.

Dropping VST2 support to force 3th party vendors to migrate is the wrong way around and will never happen IMHO :smiley:

regards,

Martijn

How many Cubase users have been with it since the start of VST technology? How may of them would lose access to some legacy work if VST2 was dropped. It would be, IMHO, a bad move in multiple ways to drop this… You can still buy parts for 50 year old cars out there… it just makes sense to support the legacy. 64bit will make some difference, but Jbridge can ease that pain as others have stated.

The key is to chase the 3rd party devs, not the host devs.

my vst2 cents :smiley:

I’m wondering about the developer making changes to entice to 3rd parties? Is it possible?

What really changed between the hugely successful VST2 and hardly anyone jumping on the VST3 bandwagon?

Follow the money.

You can read about why some well known 3rd party developers have not switched to VST3. I believe to summarize they don’t believe the benefits would outweigh the costs.

Dropping vst 2 support is a bad idea, and when a 3rd party developer uses a plugin to host the VST2 plugins it just looks bad IMO.
Cubase really is all about the free vst2 plugins and instruments.
My suggestion would be to continue to support VST2. Honestly I still would be on 32 bit Cubase if it was not for the RAM issue. Moving to 64 bit didn’t really do anything else except for that as far as using Cubase as a primary DAW.
There is many things I wish Cubase would revert to previous versions simply because it was working already.

Do people on Microsoft forums ask for the next version of Word to drop .doc file compatibility?

I think he got the point 2 months ago.

What a selfish post!

You two shall keep on using Cubase 8.5 Pro and current version of OS you are using without any of further major upgrades but not blaming on the deprecation of antiquities.

That is a comletely idiotic idea. First, you may use the same plug in many times at once, and second, it destroys the total recall benefits. I have a very complex system with hundreds of different plug ins and I’m glad VST 2.x and VST3 versions get along in Nuendo and Cubase. Please stop this nonsensical complain and urge plug in makers to come up additionally with a VST3 version. I did so (like several others) for Morph 2 from Zynaptiq and a VST3 version should be released soon - just for side chaining and better workflow.

The post that resurrected this old thread seems to have disappeared …

Hmm I believe that Trump has plans for VST2. “There is going to be a wall” and the Mexicans are paying for it?

maybe we should get Steinberg to reinvent the wheel and call it Wheel 2.0 after all that device has not changed for over 2000yrs. Fancy the wheel is still being used today…

As said, this a horrific idea. Every developer doesn’t do VST3, and I’ve honestly had lots of problems with VST3 versions of plugins over the VST2, which function fine. Then there are some VST2 plugins where the developer doesn’t operate these days, so what happens to those? Also as said, they’re already taking a risk at going 64 bit only. However, this is needed because it is PROVEN that 32 bit plugins cause problems in 64 bit hosts.

Judging from OP’s posts, this is his own personal want, and not necessarily a need. But you know what they say…you can’t always get what you want.

Don’t know, in a perfect world it would make sense. Forcing all the lazy developers to spend a few hours updating their plugins to vst3 :wink:
That would be a massive improvement for us users, easy sidechaining and auto-bypass when no audio is processed, are great features.
But the world is not perfect, and it takes more than a few hours to code and test a working plugin.
Does that mean we a stuck with vst2.4 ?
IMHO No, many developers now offer vst3 plugins, they have to do it at their own pace, to make it economic feasible.

I don’t know what kind of plugins the OP has, but his (or hers?) world revolves around developers that have resources to constantly do upgrades. 80% of my pluggs/instruments are VST2 only. Many of them will never be VST 3 as the developers are small, sometimes only one person. Still great stuff. Why force vst 3 on these developers? Pluggs/instruments work perfectly as vst2 and for most of them the added functions of VST3 are of no use. Since vst 2 is working perfectly, why get rid of it? There are so many other desires I rather see Steinberg working on. The suggestion is therefore -1.