Please enlighten me Cubase Audio Performance Meter

The Cubase Audio Performance Meter for me always seems to have a higher amount of “average load” than “real-time peak” that seems contrary to my math statistics professors teaching - exactly backwards to me as if they really had their labels swapped and were just switched as far as what they display. What say you? How can an average possibly be higher than the peaks all the time? Looked in the manual and on utube and can’t find an answer? Do you know what they really display? THANKS ( see typical image from my sys attached)
JeffGibbonsDMOcpuCapture.jpg
here is a diagram of peak and average from a web search
Peak vs Avg diagram.jpg
maybe there is reason for this that I don’t yet get - there is alot that I am learning about Cubase

thank you for asking this - I am curious as well.

Maybe someone can enlighten me, too - what this meter is good for at all. I dont see a practical benefit to be honest. Never needed it nor looked at it, since it does not help to solve anything.

Somehow I overlooked the information in Cubase manual it is in there and makes sense of the labels found it at Steinberg.com and then in my dang manual - just add not finding info in the manual to the long list of my mistakes - eh? it reads as follows - for Elien:

Audio Performance Window - shows the audio processing load and the hard disk transfer rate. This allows you to verify that you do not run into performance problems when adding effects or plug-ins, for example.
Average load - Shows how much of the available CPU power is used for audio processing.
Real-time peak - Shows the processing load in the real time path of the audio engine. The higher this value, the higher the risk that dropouts occur.
Overload indicator - The overload indicator to the right of the real-time peak indicator and the average load indicator displays overloads of the average or real-time indicator. If it lights up, decrease the number of EQ modules, active effects, and audio channels that play back simultaneously. You can also activate the ASIO-Guard.
Disk - Shows the hard disk transfer load. Disk overload indicator. The overload indicator to the right of the disk indicator lights up if the hard disk does not supply data fast enough. If it lights up, use Disable Track to reduce the number of tracks playing back. If this does not help, you need a faster hard disk.

Thank you :slight_smile: