Please explain audio recording offset compensation

Hello,

I have two questions about the audio recording offset compensation setting. I can’t find the answers anywhere in the documentation.

1. To calibrate this setting it says to remove all hardware first. So I follow the instructions and disconnect my audio interface. My question is, would that not mean that when I reconnect my audio interface after calibration the setting will be incorrect for recording via the audio interface as it was calibrated without it?

2. Since project settings affect the latency, would the audio recording offset compensation have to be recalibrated every time different settings are used (eg. Using a different sample rate or buffer size?)?

Thank you, Ian

@Ian_Harris I know your post is more than a year old, but I played with this yesterday and seem to have it working.

I’ve tried the “Calibrate” option many times, both through my audio interface and just with my iPad. The results were disappointing.

Last night I fiddled with the other settings here until I heard the least digital distortion when putting Cubasis in the background or moving through my project. I then manually matched the Audio Recording Offset Compensation to the Total Latency number (36ms for a latency of 36.3ms).

For the first time ever (for me), Cubasis recorded a track in sync to more than 10 tracks previously recorded, with significant processing.

Hi dovjgoldman,
This is very interesting, I have never thought to match the offset compensation to the latency, that will explain why I have had to reposition my audio recordings. I have just checked the help section regarding the audio settings and noticed the offset is shown as 12ms and the latency as 1.2ms, my settings have always been 100ms offset with 2.7ms latency :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:
Thanks for bringing this fact to our attention :beers:
Mike