Please get rid of the dongle

A little less tough talk would suit you better.
I am with Dietz on this.
Servus, Big K

re:mobility, itā€™s a real issue, it pokes out, itā€™s an anachronistic design (20 years now?), there are low profile USB drives, a similar approach to dongle design wouldnā€™t be a stretch at this point, it does seem odd that we are still using legacy hardware when the product it protects has come so far in 20 years.

1 Like

Have you seen the elicenser thatā€™s maybe 2 centimeters long, or less?

For MacBook users, do you have/use any adapters for connections other than USB-C? Does anyone use an audio interface? Does anyone use an external drive?

I sort of get it, but I donā€™t completely get how a 2 cm long device that can move your authorization between different machines instantly without the need for the internet is such a terrible thing.

Iā€™m all for adding hardware free copy protection as an option. But the only reason Iā€™m on this thread is itā€™s title ā€œPlease get rid of the dongle.ā€

I donā€™t want that. And it seems like a lot of other people donā€™t want that either. Should I start a thread titled ā€œPlease never add Hardware free copy protection?ā€

1 Like

There is also the option like Adobe and our bookkeeping program. The license is simply checked over the Internet every few days. And then runs offline for 14 days. If the program is installed on a second PC, you have to log in there briefly and the first PC loses its license. Just like changing the dongle.

Adobe solution is pretty horrible, they run a bunch of invasive ā€œCreative Cloudā€ crap in the backgroundā€¦ and I really hope Steinberg steer well clear of formerā€™s subscription based approach.

I know Iā€™ve whined about this plenty, and donā€™t really have anything to add to the semantic argument. In fact, as much as Iā€™m not really bothered by it, I agree with you. Butā€¦ in regards to your questions:

Yes! Iā€™ve seen that small elicenser. It was JUST big enough to destroy one of the USB ports in my last laptop. Ok, it was time to replace it (the laptop, not the port) anyway, but stillā€¦

Yes! I use both audio interfaces and external drives. But when Iā€™m working remotely it is often of great advantage to go completely internal with the HD and to forgo the interface. Wouldnā€™t do it for mixing, but for editing itā€™s generally pretty effective. This means I can use the laptop with nothing protruding.

Iā€™m using TouchTool Pro and the trackpad to cover most of the macros and key commands I have programmed into my mouse, so I donā€™t have to plug it in. Iā€™ve got one of those basement level versions of Cubase that works with the soft e-licenser and it is a fairly reasonable workaround, but switching back and forth between .cprs and .nprs is not completely seamless, and issues (especially project start times and the way audio is handled at the beginning of projects) prevents it from being a full solution. Andā€¦ itā€™s certainly not Nuendo. There have been numerous times when, even working under guerrilla conditions, I very much missed the features Baby Cubase lacks.

So, again, and Iā€™ll try to stop yapping about it after that (and then came coffee :wink: ) :

By hook or by crook, and not advocating for taking away anything anybody loves in terms of copy protection, Iā€™m looking forward to the next generation of the same with enthusiastic optimism.

Chewy

Yo, Chewbacca, youā€™re a good dude. Your whining is pretty enjoyable most of the time. I have no problem with it at all.

I hope you get your dongle-less situation from SB.

You big babyā€¦

1 Like

Am not. And (this is my profound wish, and not just in the spirit of the season), may your dongle remain forever whole and fully operational. :innocent:

Chewy

The other piece of software I regularly use is max msp - no dongle - and no=ones cracked it in years. .

thatā€™s not really true, last one I saw was a cracked Ableton Live Suite 10.0.2 that functioned as a back door to standalone Max 8, fully operational, havenā€™t checked latest Abelton cracks, but if same applies, bad example, Max is definitely not secure.