Please get rid of this dongle

+1000 a small metal dongle would be great.
I used to move my dongle between my pc and laptop but it broke. I put tape on it and rarely unplug it from my pc anymore. I bought elements for my laptop and so far so good…

Same here. I don’t mind having to use the dongle as opposed to the alternatives. All of which I hate and having to login ever so often just to use the software would definitely a pain in the butt.

The second license option would probably be a nice to have though.

But I had to use duct tape to hold my dongle together and eventually ended up buying another one b/c it began interfering with the operation of Cubase. So a sturdier metal case like the iLok would be better. Never have had issues with my iLok.

There may be a few others too, however consider the objectives/time to do that work.

I have no data, but I would guess the demand and popularity for Cubase is many times greater than Propellorheads Reason.

Again, Steinberg must know the benefits and disadvantages. A dongle substitute would add more sales/users right? But the cost of that added protection probably outweighs the advantages…at least right now… I’m sure Steinberg would want it, but there is an added cost associated with it assuming it wouldn’t be pirated.

I think its time to get rid, but on the other hand, I would be so upset if Cubase gets cracked, they stop making money and we get no updates in the result.

Maybe use the Guardian app to authorize every 30days?
I don’t see it working for me if you would have to sign in every time you have to use it, I travel to countries with barely any internet service and it would be unusable.
The second dongle option is cool but you’re still in the same boat but with more security for us the user.
Another option that i think if could work is Bluetooth or wife via your mobile device and let your phone be the dongle? IDK, crazy though.

I had the pleasure of speaking with a Steinberg rep in NYC and he did confirm that they are working on getting rid of the dongle.
I can only hope we still get to keep the dongle as an option.

+1

I can see some find it a pain but it works just fine for me and value the non-piracy.

Yes ! Please get rid of this dongle please

A small metal dongle would be a good step forward, with no downside.

A plastic USB-A dongle is outdated. If we can unlock our phones (holding much more valuable data) with our fingerprints or our face, I am sure they can find more convenient solutions to “proving” you paid for their software everytime you want to use it.

+1
this plastic dongle is cheap and have found gets brittle over time -
Users have far too long been asking for a better quality dongle, maybe its SB choice and strategy to only market the cheaper plastic ones that need to be replaced more often. …

When you compare the quality of the small aluminium iLOK dongles, or the awesome quality metal-REASON-Ignition-Keys, then … it makes me wonder why SB still makes these inferior plastic shell usb dongles

I paid double for my Ilok vs the steinberg dongle so I guess that’s a big reason to keep costs down? If they changed construction and charged double I think they would receive more criticism than praise. Particularly as you need a dongle just to demo a product, also they’re not as universal as an ilok is with many Developer/publishers utilising them.

Agreed…and Steinberg could also offer people a choice: plastic dongle for cheap, metal dongle for an upcharge.

Thank you for posting this, the Cubase dongle system is absurd and hurts cubase. I’m especially miffed because my preferred way to work on music is laying in bed on my laptop and any sneeze or ant swat makes the dongle lose connection for a few miliseconds causing Cubase to crash. It’s absurd and idiotic, I can’t believe I paid $650 for this experience.

Cubase rationalizes they have to do this to combat piracy and they are right Albleton and other competitors have pirated copies everywhere… AND IT DOESN’T HURT THEM on the contrary broke people get into using ableton and eventually move up. The Cubase management is so high on bath salts, I can’t believe all of this isn’t obvious to them. I want to love Cubase so bad but the dongle has been a particular nightmare.

1. swat an ant or sneeze, dongle disconnected, crash
  2. on my desktop, put computer into sleep, come out, dongle disconnected, crash.
  3. Weird chores like having to run dongle maintenance. I didn’t use cubase for a few months and found suddenly my dongle was no longer good enough and I had to run a software fix. Da fuq? What the hell is wrong with you guys. I want to scream at Cubase management, WE WANT TO LOVE YOU why do you abuse us??

I’d be okay with the dongle if they had a different solution to my laptop. I hate having to worry about damaging it on the road and using adapters, because modern laptops don’t have that many ports and the dongle is still in old school USB, not USB-C.
On my stationary, it works fine.

IMO This is the right way

As a guy who uses a rack mounted computer, I mostly forget there even is a dongle. Years ago I forgot it was plugged into a laptop and I stuffed it into a bag and the dongle got bent and cracked pretty good. It still has a bend where the metal meets the plastic. I will never chance trying to bend it back. It’s too risky. Now it is on an extension and gaff taped to the inside of the rack. I should probably get a replacement someday.
I like the dongle. Seems pretty fool proof if you keep it protected.

This is a highly requested feature. I’ve even personally requested this on the "Feature Requests and Suggestions " forum.

IMO, if Steinberg/Yamaha need the dongle to ensure they are protected, then by all means please keep implementing it! I’d much prefer the minor inconvenience versus any financial loss for Steinberg/Yamaha.

Steinberg’s Support Is Absolutely Outstanding!

I’m going to meet in the middle and give a big +1 for a more durable dongle. :sunglasses:

No problem with Dongle from me.

I have 2 dongles - cubase and Vienna Stuff sits on one, and a few other bits and bobs that use iLok

Both are plugged into a usb hub that’s kept safe at the back of my desk.

Can’t see the issue to be honest.

Wrong. Cracked centuries ago(slight exageration). Perhaps not in recent years, don’t know, but cracked it has been.

I personally don’t have a huge problem with the dongle. BUT I have a problem with the SIZE. I’ve damaged my dongle because it sticks out too far. Why the f * u *c * k cant they provide a smaller dongle like this:

They charge $28 for a new dongle these little dongles are only $6.

Even the replacment dongle is 2/3 the size of the original. Too DAMN big.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/393865-REG/Steinberg_502009050.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A514&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgo2Rp87d6QIVi4bACh309ANfEAQYAiABEgKOKvD_BwE

Here’s an idea for you and maybe others, works like a charm for me, eLicenser & iLok are inside my desktop computer case. Works by making the internal USB ports of the motherboard usable. These are independent USB ports and are not shared with external ones:

1. Buy a 10 Pin Motherboard Adapter/Splitter (about 5 USD) (see below)
  2. Open the case of your PC
  3. Attach the adapter directly to your motherboard (see below)
  4. Attach the dongle to the adapter
  5. Close the case of your PC, keeping everything safely inside the case
  6. Be happy, no external dongle anymore, no external USB port used.

Example for adapters:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015HL8MPQ
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00DKWY1H8

Location of socket on your X99-A motherboard, location is similar on other ASUS motherboards: