Please Help! Lost all settings & preferences

Hello, I’m really hoping someone can help!

Opened Cubase 10 this morning to find it had lost all my settings and preferences saved from the previous day. It opened as if it was a brand new fresh install, looks like everything is reset back to factory settings. None of my previous sessions were listed in the Hub, all soundcard preferences missing, all my generic remote settings, and midi settings all missing or reset back to factory settings. I do have all my settings backed up from a few weeks ago, but I’ve recently been doing some work on my template and would not like to lose all that new work.

This is the first time anything like this has ever happened and I don’t know where to begin looking for the cause and remedy (if there is one). Even if I can’t get anything back, I would really like to know what happened so this never happens again!

If anyone has any ideas please let me know! Thank you!

Cubase 10.0.10 Windows 10 (Fully Updated)

Sorry for your loss. We have all been there at one time or another. It cured me of not saving my session data and settings every day before I shut it down. And sometimes I do ten backups in a day. You can’t be without backup software. Lots of options. On the PC I was using SyncToy, it is free on the Microsoft website. On the Mac I use Time Machine and another program called SuperDuper which makes an exact copy of the hard drive.

Sorry guy, I am sure everyone on this site lost a project once or twice or more. I know people that if there isn’t a backup of the backup it isn’t backed up.

Thanks for your reply! Throughout the years I’ve had all sorts of issues like everyone else. But, it’s the first time I’ve ever experienced anything like this. Saving a project one day and opening it the next to find all my settings reset back to factory settings! I would really like to know what would caused this to happen. I don’t know where to begin trouble shooting an issue like this? What specific file saves all this type of information?

Past experience has taught me to backup daily when working on projects. Now I need to include all the Cubase preference files as well as project files in future backups. I think the main folder to backup is the Cubase 10 folder located in User-AppData-Roaming-Steinberg. Is that right, or are there others that need to be backed up as well?

Is there any software recommended for PC that can perform this type of daily backup from various locations (project files & preference settings)? Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!