Please help - Simple studio setup with Control room

Hi forum,

after hours of frustration trying to solve this with useless tutorials and by clicking blindly all over the Cubase’s control room options, I decided to ask for help.

What I’am trying to achieve? Nothing special. I have Cubase 8.5, an UR44 interface, a microphone, headphones and a singer. The singer is complaining that she cannot hear herself loud enough in the headphones. So here my frustration begins. I want to make her loud only in her headphones, not by turning up the input fader.

I know the Control room is the right place to do this. But I can’t manage to make it work. The problem is I don’t understand how big studios work - I have no idea what cues are, I have no idea why I should need monitors set up for recoding without them, I have no idea why I need to deactivate my stereo output to make control room work, all I know is that my singer needs a maximized signal in her headphones so we can make some damn music!

Could someone please provide a step by step guide on how to do this? Thank you in advance!

I have no idea why I should need monitors set up for recoding without them, I have no idea why I need to deactivate my stereo output to make control room work, all I know is that my singer needs a maximized signal in her headphones so we can make some damn music!

Hi.

If you use control room, set the stereo out in vst connections not connected. That’s to avoid doubling the signal.
Set the vst connections like this:

Now you will hear your mix (stereo out, even though it’s “not connected” in vst connections) on your monitors and/or on headphones 1 of the UR44.
Give the headphones 2 to the singer.
Create a cue mix using the cue sends. You can turn up the send for the vocal track and turn down the instruments using the cue sends. That’s without changing levels in your main mix.

But I suggest to first switch them prefader, which unfortunately they arent by default.

Thank you, this works, I finally got some sound out of it! :smiley: Cue sends were the problem in my case, I didn’t get that - now that I get it, it seems obvious, but when I started watching the tutorials and all… It just looked like too much to know for such a simple task :slight_smile: Thank you very much for taking the time to answer and to make the screenshots! Thank you, cheers!

Also thanks for the prefader suggestion, that makes sense too!