Please help with this weird audio destruction

Hi there,

in the last couple of months, my workflow in Cubase 8.5 has gone from perfect to a complete disaster…
Not just with this problem, but a whole lot of different issues…
I don’t know what is causing these issues, but I’m slowly starting to lose my mind…

This particular problem has happened a couple of times and I can’t take it anymore…

Recorded audio completely randomly starts distorting, but not light distortion…
I’m talking like - blow my ears off distortion.
Sometimes it stops on its own…
Sometimes it’s in the same place, sometimes it’s not.
It’s very hard to pin point the situation, because I haven’t figured out the pattern when or why this occurs.
Sometime it goes away, sometimes there is no way to get rid of this…

This only happens on single audio track…
Never VST instruments and never more than 1 audio track…
Copying and/or moving the audio doesn’t fix the situation.

I have posted a link to the audio example of how this sounds - watch out for the loudness
I also posted how the audio looks like, just to see that this is not recorded…
Not a single plugin is inserted on this particular audio track…

audio example-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1eudvy8jxvmid40/weird%20bug.wav?dl=0

Any help is always much appreciated…

Kind regards,
D
audio print.jpg

Can you tell us your system specs and set up?

Sure,

PC
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
ASUS P8H77-V LE
Intel i7-3770 CPU
8GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6670

RME Fireface UCX through USB
Cubase 8.5

Assuming this sound does not get included during a mixdown…

Could it be that you have a bad monitor connection (or some other output connectlon) and that it is just a coincidence that you hear it intermittently only on an audio track?

Regards :sunglasses:

Could it be an audio hard drive connection or problem perhaps, which would affect audio streaming, but not VSTis except romplers? I have suffered this in the past.

Did you copy the project to a different drive to test? You only say that you copied/moved it. Also can you do some kind of health check on all drives. I realise I’m not taking account of only a single audio channel being affected, but for me that’s the least clear symptom of anything.

You could also make a copy of the project, but remove all plugins, just to eliminate one of them as a cause.

Also to be sure, can you run an affected project on someone else’s DAW to confirm that it’s ok when not on your system?

Finally, what are the other issues that you mention at the start of your post- it could be that they are all related.

hi there,
i have a single stereo output, so if it were a faulty connection, the entire song would sound distorted…
only a single audio file gets this way…
It is included in the mixdown…

regards,
D

Hi there,
thanks for all your input…
The worst thing is that I’ve spent the last hour trying to recreate this distortion and I couldn’t…
I’ve successfully run the project from other HDDs, but that doesn’t prove anything, because it’s currently working in the same location it didn’t when I posted this topic…
And that’s the way it usually is… It stops and it will come back when I least expect it…
And when it starts, there is absolutely no way to bounce the track without this painful distortion…
In the past, I’ve dropped all plugins from the mixer, so I’m pretty sure no plugin is causing this…
It could be that the disk is faulty…
I currently don’t have an option to open the project on a different DAW…

The other issue, I’ve already posted, so you can easily check it out…

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=233&t=112329

regards,
D

Is the drive you’re running the project from the same physical drive as your o/s and or your Cubase installation??

hi there,
no
OS and Cubase are on the same SSD…
samples and project have their own separate HDDs…

All very odd. I would try a complete uninstall/reinstall of Cubase in the first instance…a drive failing could be the problem but the fact you have the gui issues suggests this would be the the program drive and my experience with SSD failing is that it goes from misbehaving to completely dead pretty quickly.

One other thought…do you defer updates in W10…in which case you probably got anniversary update pushed on you not that long ago and that could definitely cause some problems (easily fixed with some re-installations)

Further to Grim’s comments, have you had any graphics driver updates in recent times?

not to my knowledge…
I haven’t been prompted for a graphics driver update in years…

device manager says that the graphics driver is from 2015 if that helps

I have automatic updates, so I guess everything passes through…
I don’t know how I feel about that…
I’ve had problems on W7 with and without updates, so I just let W10 “do its thing”…

As I’ve mentioned in the GUI post… GUI error is a pretty fresh bug…
This audio destruction started happening much sooner…

Apart from Cubase, do you think something else should be re-installed?

Sorry for the delay…if you haven’t set W10 to defer updates you would have had this anniversary update last August or September I think, so probably this isn’t your problem. FWIW I needed to reinstall my interface drivers and the elicenser software (as admin) and run maintenance. Cubase was fine after that.

just a quick note…

there was a W10 update two days ago…

GUI problems are now gone.
I hope permanently.

Audio destruction problem still occurs form time to time.

Good news.

PM me if you want to send a trial project over re “audio destruction”.

thanks for the offer.
The project we were discussing about in this post is now working fine.
If I come across a project that will continuously have this audio destruction, I will send you a PM.

regards,
D