Please Help! Workarounds for these 2 things I hate?

Please help!

THE LOOP BAR
On Cubase 8.5 they have added a feature along the top of every window where the LOOP or CYCLE feature switches on if you click the navigation/timeline bar too high. So constantly, when I am navigating around a piece, I move the playback line to the bar I want, but instead I switch on a loop. This has become exceptionally annoying. Can it be turned off?

TIME SIGNATURE CHANGES
Secondly, when adding a time signature change, I have to right click to bring up the little box, select the pencil tool THEN click on the bar to change time signature. In the past, I just had to double click, is there a way round this I don’t know about because they have made a simple thing unnecessarily complicated.

Any pointers would be gratefully received as I’m not an especially well versed on this version yet.

Many thanks,

Ethan

As regards inserting Time Signatures… on Mac, hold down the Cmd key while single-clicking in the Time Sig lane (so, presumably, Ctrl key on PC).
As regards accidentally activating Cycle, no workaround other than being sure to click in the lower half of the Ruler when you wish merely to navigate :wink:.

Brilliant! Thank you very much. I don’t know why I didn’t think to try Ctr. Click! As for your other suggestion, I shall continue to do my best!

As a workaround, I’ve read from others who have added a 2nd Ruler track and placed it directly under the main one - gives you a bit more to aim at when just navigating… :slight_smile:

But I have to agree, as things are now with the new behaviour, it is all a bit tight up there on the ruler…

Good luck.!

Good tip :wink:.

yes - I should have added, that ideally you’ll want to perform an Arrange Page ‘split’ view and place the 2nd Ruler track in the upper section of course. That way, as you scroll your tracks up and down in the lower section, you always have that extra Ruler line visible… :slight_smile:

It has been a pain getting used to the loop bar/timescale bar. I was always confused to why it’s the opposite alt key to place the loop points.

What I’d like to have is when using zoom in the time scale bar, the play doesn’t restart at that position. Is there a way to turn this off?

That’s my feature request Steinberg. An option in the preferences, just under ‘zoom when locating in time scale’. Although I’m not sure how one would move the play thing, we’d need 3 bars in the timescale/loop area.

[/quote]
yes - I should have added, that ideally you’ll want to perform an Arrange Page ‘split’ view and place the 2nd Ruler track in the upper section of course. That way, as you scroll your tracks up and down in the lower section, you always have that extra Ruler line visible… :slight_smile:[/quote]

Apologies, but what does this mean? An Arrange Page split view? I see that when I move down the tracks I can no longer see the added time bar, so how does this fix work?

Very many thanks,

Ethan

Sorry - I should have been a bit more clear; I couldn’t remember the exact term at the time, but I’ve just had a look and the function is actually called ‘Divide Track List’. Page 60 of the manual (v8.5) gives you pictures and everything…!

Cheers,
Bob

[/quote]
Sorry - I should have been a bit more clear; I couldn’t remember the exact term at the time, but I’ve just had a look and the function is actually called ‘Divide Track List’. Page 60 of the manual (v8.5) gives you pictures and everything…!

Cheers,
Bob[/quote]

Ahhhhh brilliant. Very useful, thank you!

One final thing as you seem to be an oracle! Do you know if there is a way to automatically expand a part - so if I copy and paste some midi notes into a midi part in the editor, they all go white if they are extended beyond the part, I have to then drag the first chunk to expand it and make those notes part of it… I could have sworn there was a way to make this automatic or something similar…

Many thanks for all your help!

Ethan

Just another suggestion for locating: Preferences->Transport->Locate when Clicked in Empty Space. I.e. you click any empty space and the transport locates to that position. I have it on all the time, very easy to locate then.

Mike.

This is a great feature, at least for myself.

But while this is a great feature, it lacks consistency. It doesn’t apply to the other editors such as the midi or drum editors.

And this is why my gripes with Steinberg continue. Workflow…especially making things consistent and core functions are important. What we have now is a program piece-mealed together over many years with inconsistency. Streamlining this function would be nice. Unfortunately I don’t think prosumers, the majority of users, care about this stuff therefore it doesn’t get attention.

Yep, I 100% agree with the lack of consistency here. The locate feature should work in all empty space in all editors as well as the project window. It has been requested before! I’m constantly clicking empty space in the editors because that’s how I’m used to locating, but it doesn’t work, very frustrating.

Mike.

Yes to locating using ‘empty space’ in the Editors… +1

And, I’d also vote there should be an option to let this work by clicking anywhere in the Arrange page - think large, dense projects where there is little or no ‘empty space’ to click at… (I saw a vid of Studio One - the guy was using CTRL+Spacebar to start playback, from wherever the mouse pointer was positioned; awesome looking workflow…)

Sorry Ethan - not my area of expertise; I’d suggest you start a new topic for this one… :wink:

(BTW - just use the ‘Quote’ button at top right of each post when you want to quote a posters text, as you respond; it will display using the correct syntax that way.!)

Good luck,
Bob

Yes there is, but it is a bit of an improbable hack! :wink:
So… you have pasted some notes that now extend beyond the existing Part Boundary…
Now, select the last note, and move it to the right. You will now get the message to extend the Part! Accept, then move that note back to its original position (Do not use Undo, because that will also shrink the new Part boundary to where it was originally :wink: )