Please, I wish to contact Mr. Daniel Spreadbury.

Hello Mr. Daniel, Yesterday night, I wrote an E-mail for you about Dorico 3.5 but it seems impossible to have the E-mail address excepted if I have some troubles with the devices but I don’t bought anything . I just need to know some specs about doric 3.5 I maked a tour but some answers missing to me. I s there a way to contact you by E-mail?
Regards,

Michel Carrière

If you just want to know something about Dorico’s specs, then just ask it here! Daniel reads the forum very regularly, but you might even get your answer from someone else first.

Welcome to the forum, Michel.

Also feel free to ask your question in your native language if you find that easier. Someone here will be bound to understand, and the rest of us can use Google Translate to follow along and offer what help we can.

Michel écrit tes questions en français sur ce fil et quelqu’un le traduira pour Daniel car je ne crois pas qu’il parviendra à comprendre ton message

Bonsoir Québ, merci de ton intervention.
Peut-être pourras-tu me répondre. D’abord, Je m’excuse je croyais que le mieux placé pour me répondre serait celui qui a cogité ce programme.
J’ai découvert par hasard l’existence de Dorico par youtube et suivi son évolution jusquà la version 3.5.10. De 2007 à 2010 J’avais Sibelius v.3 avec contact silver qui me donnait droit qu’à 8 pistes et il manquait beaucoup d’instruments A cause de l’avènement de window 10 qui est en 64 bits je ne pouvait plus me servir de ce qui était en 32 bits mon window xp pro n’étant plus supporté et tant qu’a changer aussi bien revenir avec Dorico pro 3.5. Je me Magasine un nouveau pc et celui là sera très puissant genre i8 ou mieux . J’ ai lu Les recommandations et je vais les ajouter à ma liste de commande pour mon nouveau pc.

1= Est ce que Dorico accepte le NVidia?
2= Avec un multi coeur ca va améliorer les performances(multi tâche?)
3= Le bundle vient avec combien de vst?
4-= Est ce que Dorico permet la transposition des instruments transpositoires tel que trompette en si b ou sax alto en mi b etc.(Mon Siblelius le faisait automatiquement sur mes partitions de trompette, sax ténor, alto, barython )
5= Combien de pistes sur le mixer du cubase inclus et serait-il possible d’en avoir entre 16 et 24 pistes compte tenu du fait qu’il faut mettre ex:
piste 1 violon legato et piste 2 violon pizzicato?
6= ET enfin, la banque de son disons symphonique , si je choisi 1er ou 2eme violons si il comporte 16 instrument et que je programme une note
et que J’ajoute un tierce cela me donnera-t-il 32 1er ou 2eme violon ou si divisi de dorico divisera en 2 soit 8 pour la première note et 8 pour la tierce simultanée?
Je crois que c’est tout. En vous remerciant chaleureusement.

1. NVidia will work fine.
  2. Someone from the Dorico team could confirm, but I think so, yes.
  3. It comes with Halion Symphonic Orchestra, the amount of samples depends on the version purchased. I recommend looking into NotePerformer which is a separate product that plugs into Dorico.
  4. Yes, Dorico supports transposing instruments automatically or you can work in concert pitch.
  5. Cubase and Dorico are completely separate apps. The mixer in Dorico has a channel for each staff. Separating staves by articulation could be done, but that’s not really what Dorico is for. That’s a DAW approach for mocking up. Dorico is notation software for creating sheet music. If your primary use case is mock ups, you’re better off using Cubase.
  6. Dorico uses the concept of players. So when you set up a project, you add players which can be solo or a section. So you would add Violin1, Violin 2, Violas, Flute 1, Flute 2, etc. Each player creates a staff in the notation. Any notes on the 1st violins staff will be played by the instrument associated with that player/staff. If you wanted divisi, you would indicate divisi in the score. The playback engine attempts to play back what is in the notation. A lot here depends on the VST library being used. The library will be told to play that divisi and hopefully the library can properly simulate the request. This is handled by the VST/expression map you’re using for the library. Dorico comes with Halion Symphonic Orchestra and an expression map for it. I mentioned NotePerformer which comes with its own expression map, and you can download expression maps for many major VST sample libraries, such as Spitfire, VSL, etc. if you already have those libraries.
1 Like

Here’s a diagram that shows how playback works in Dorico.

Each instrument may have one or more voices. In this example, I have two instruments: Violin solo, and Violins. The Violin solo instrument has one voice, and the Violins instrument has two voices (divisi, Violins 1 and Violins 2).

Each voice is assigned to a VST or MIDI instrument. In this example, all three voices are assigned to the same instance of HALion Sonic SE. If I needed to, I could assign each voice to its own instance.

Each voice may have its own playing techniques (such as pizz., arco, staccato, legato, etc.), and they are converted into keyswitches, CC data, or channel changes, according to the expression map. In this example, pizzicato means “hold keyswitch C#0”.

If your VST instrument uses multiple channels for a violin (such as “Ch. 1 = violins arco”, “Ch. 2 = violins pizz.”, “Ch. 3 = violins tremolo”, etc.), you could define pizzicato to be “change to channel 2” or “change to next channel” in your expression map.

Once you have this set up, it works like magic: you just need to write music, and everything is automatically converted into the correct playback instructions for your virtual instruments.

Michel,
Si tu comptes acheter un nouvel ordinateur principalement pour la composition musicale, je te conseille d’acheter un mac. Il est vrai que dorico (ainsi que les autres produits steinberg) fonctionne aussi sur windows, mais il donne de meilleurs résultats sur mac. Tous les cogiteurs du programme l’utilisent avec mac, et ce n’est pas pour rien. Une des principales différences entre mac et pc est que les macs arrivent avec une carte son crée par apple, et cela t’économisera des problèmes de latence et te permettra aussi d’utiliser dorico sans bloquer l’audio sur les autres programmes.
Évidemment le problème avec les macs c’est la compatibilité, et c’est la raison pour laquelle moi non plus je n’en ai pas. Je te laisse faire ton choix

Je crois que toutes les réponses sont là!

EN passant, il y une page fb d’utilisateurs francophones de Dorico

1 Like

To answer your questions, Michel:

1. Dorico doesn’t have any particular requirements for video hardware. All of Dorico’s rendering is software-driven rather than hardware-accelerated at the moment, so the graphics card you choose won’t normally have a meaningful impact on Dorico’s performance any more than it would for other applications on your computer.
  2. Yes, a multi-core CPU will definitely improve Dorico’s performance. I would recommend at least a quad-core CPU if possible.
  3. Dorico comes with the HALion Sonic SE 3 instrument, and around 30 VST effects. It also comes with something like 1500 sounds, including HALion Symphonic Orchestra, Soundiron Olympus Choir Micro, and hundreds of factory sounds from the HALion Sonic SE library.
  4. Yes, Dorico handles transposing instruments automatically.
  5. You can drive as many VST instruments as your system can run without exhausting its resources.
  6. Dorico will not automatically divide notes between different channels when you write a divisi passage.

Merci infiniment Vous êtes tous d’une gentillesse incommensurable!
Thank you so much you’re very kind!

Mr. Spreadbury … Please add to Dorico the following:
Ability to output to my Genos or other external sound module while in Edit mode.
Also, ability to choose a few bars and loop those while tweaking the notation until it “sounds” right.
Others who can “hear” notation don’t need this, but I certainly do.
You are the smartest man on the planet by far. Please give this old man what I need to write songs.
Thank you, Daniel.

Please don’t post the same thing in multiple threads.

Thank you.

(See the forum guidelines.)

1 Like

How can I reach Mr Spreadbury, please?

This forum is a perfectly sensible way to get hold of Daniel. He reads every message that’s posted here, albeit he won’t always reply immediately (particularly given that he’s already said today that he’s out of the country).

1 Like

Thank you, Pianoleo.
I will press on in quest of the Golden Fleece of computer music as I have for 30 years, wishing the software was just a bit easier for me. Cubase 30 years ago was useable for me, and I created some pretty astounding pieces (if I do say so myself), but the DAWs today are for geniuses like you and others whose brains haven’t turned to much like mine. :slight_smile:

2 Likes