Please improve sidechain compressors

Hi there Steinberg & all who posted on here,

I really can’t believe some of the people & comments you get when starting a topic.

For all those who can’t read or understand English very well , please get one of your friends or family to read out the original post & explain it to you. Read it slowely & digest it, then look at your answers, read the other posts & realise whether you are making a positive contribution or not.

Thanks to all who read properly & understood & came back with positive remarks ( including the people who said they had no problem with the cubase compressor). If it does everything you need & are happy with it then why would you want it to improve?!

I personally, after many tests find myself turning to other compressors far more than I would like to.

Am I not allowed to say that on this site?

THE CUBASE COMPRESSOR IS DECENT BUT IT COULD BE DEFINITELY IMPROVED & I FOR ONE THINK THAT IT IS A MISTAKE FOR THEM NOT TO DO THAT, ESPECIALLY IN THIS DAY & AGE.

Kind regards, Codsworth :smiley:

Thanks for your help Hazy.

I tried your settings but for the bass sound I had & the feel I wanted i had to take the threshold right up to past 12oclock & change the release to the fastest (I think that’s 10ms) to get the speed I needed & then it wasn’t dipping enough in volume because of the threshold. It was ok in the end but took a lot of effort & it still wasn’t quite right.

I can give you wav files if you like to hear the differences. It also depends on the sound. Some are fine with the cubase comp but some it just can’t seem to take control of enough (For ME).

Kind regards, cods :smiley:

FWIW Cubase has always had a reputation as an outstanding DAW with mediocre bundled tools … as opposed to Sonar or Logic, for comparisons, with better bundled tools, but certainly not better DAWs.

Cubase still does not even include a bundled sampler, for crying out loud! (Edit: but following my own logic, why would I want it if it would be mediocre? :laughing: )

The recent introduction of Steinberg’s very high end Neve compressor and eq … at about $500.00 per … points out that this is not going to change. Do you see other DAW makers ‘branding’ and selling high end plug-ins?

I still love working in Cubase despite the mediocrity of what’s ‘included.’ I just buy better plug-ins.

So, respectfully and without disagreement of your points, don’t hold your breath.

Como

Thanks Como, you talk a lot of sense but I hope it will change. :slight_smile:

LOL relax buddy… I understood you’re original post. Its just frustrating when people demand Steinberg fix something but are very vague about what needs to be fixed.

Maybe I missed something… did someone say you’re not allowed to say that?

YOU STILL HAVEN’T SAID SPECIFICALLY WHAT COULD BE IMPROVED. HOW DO YOU EXPECT STEINBERG TO IMPROVE IT?

Maybe the release or recovery is to linear, as most of this effect is probably dictated by the release curve?

C6 here…compressors are PUMPING! :laughing:

Hi

Is this not true with a lot of compressors? I often find myself swapping the compressor on a drum or bass track in order to get the feel I want.

I would add that I rarely use the side chain comp except for ducking. Even then I tend to prefer automation.

Cheers

I use side-chaining a lot in my music (mostly trance music) and haven’t found the Cubase compressor to be any problem.

I found however, that using the right sound/sample for it is just as important as the settings of the plugin itself. A lot of people use kick-drums, but doesn’t perhaps notice that the sample very often has two “spikes” (looking at the sample wave graph) not just one - this will trigger the compressor twice - or - sustain the effect longer than what your settings may imply. And therefor you won’t get the result you’re listening for.

Using a good sample with just one “spike” (I find closed hi-hats better to use than kick-drums; or just an impulse sample) will give you a good basis to do the other adjustments needed to get that nice pumping sound.

Just my 2 cents.

I do appreciate all the helpful comments & as i’ve already said, the cubase comp is decent & is good for certain jobs if you do this and do that.

All i’m trying to say is that there are comps out there that give better control (whether you use a hi hat or original kick) that are a lot easier to get to groove with the groove.

I just wish the cubase one was as good (with the timing control etc).

It seems all users are happy with the logic s/c comp. The way it just sounds right ( the timing and the way it pulls up to full volume i’m guessing). The cubase one seems to fall short on this ease of use to get “the right sound” (ie for people who don’t know what I mean by “the right sound”, I mean the sound that sounds great on so many great dance tunes that are released.
As i said, the cubase one is capable of a nice groove when pumping but I have comps that are better & give much more immediate better results

Kind regards, Codsworth

Never an issue for me… all compressors sound the same to me. Same with EQ’s etc. :smiley:

You’re joking… right :question: