Please, note values for metronome (other than quarter = x )

Please. I know it’s a major pain to implement as the bloody thing is basically everywhere, but it’s a proper thing to have.

1 Like

I know this has been requested before and I totally agree it would be very useful.

I think potential issues however are that the midi standards 1 don’t allow for anything other than (PPQ) quarter note values to be stored in a file so importing and exporting midi files would have to be addressed. Export could convert tempos back to PPQ values for instance. Import would bring everything in quarters too. This decision to stick with quarter values was a deliberate choice in midi development to represent a good range of tempos within the limits of a 24 bit (microseconds per quarternote) number and keep the maths simple.

Also how to display the metronome for different signatures would have to be programmed in, perhaps a simpler way to implement this would be to have a selectable meter value button on the metronome box that simply converts the quarter value into other useable values in real time.

Also something to think about…the tempo track… what value would you enter with the pen tool in if it can only store values for quarter notes? Or the list editor?

Having a system where the metronome has to display changing meters automatically, for example going from 4/4 to 6/8 and back would be great but whole other level of programming complexity also there are backward compatibility issues with the midi 1 standard. I’m just thinking about this from both sides of the fence.

Indeed it is tricky, but I’m not actually saying we should modify data. See below.

Also how to display the metronome for different signatures would have to be programmed in, perhaps a simpler way to implement this would be to have a selectable meter value button on the metronome box that simply converts the quarter value into other useable values in real time.

Exactly. And we don’t even need the time signature, we just need to define the beat. M.M. is the number of beats per minute. But what do the beats represent? If one would like to use this feature, they would have to define the beats, define what the clickety-click represents. Is the metronome counting quarters, halves, dotted quarters? Of course one could never bother and leave things as they are now. The best place to have this drop down box would be right next to the tempo number field.

Also something to think about…the tempo track… what value would you enter with the pen tool in if it can only store values for quarter notes? Or the list editor?

We would need to be able to insert a display change. And then enter the value. Or two fields for the list. Unit of measurement, tempo value. (Which would still be translated by Cubase to quarters)

For example. I have a quarter = 180 3/4 waltz. I enter a Metronome Beat Display Quantize Event at measure 1, and select Dotted Half. I see that the tempo line drops to 60. I decide, it’s still too slow. I bring the line to 68. I then decide I don’t want the BDQE and delete it. Tempo now shows quarters again and is @ 204. (3x68)

Having a system where the metronome has to display changing meters automatically, for example going from 4/4 to 6/8 and back would be great but whole other level of programming complexity also there are backward compatibility issues with the midi 1 standard. I’m just thinking about this from both sides of the fence.

Cubase already changes meters and steps tempo changes and follows tempo ramps, remember we are talking about just displaying data (tempo value) modified by a number.

To summarize, I say I need an intermediate layer in the UI, between me and the tempo number. I imagine that a Display filter and a list of multipliers is what is needed. By the way, in the Score Editor, in “Form Symbols” palette, there’s “Tempo Indicator”, which does the exact same converting I’ve been talking about, as you select values from a drop down menu.

I am very happy with the metronome as a device, and with its wonderful new patterns, and its ability to accept our own custom patterns, but the Tempo Track must follow suit and agree visually with what’s going on.

TL;DR: Tempo Values I’m seeing = Cubase’s quarter tempo values * multiplier-depending-on-which-note-value-I’ve-defined-as-my-beat.

This is great food for thought :relaxed:… and yes the way the score editor handles it shows there is at least some way of adapting from PPQ that has already been considered.

I agree an intermediate layer which could be a beat denominator (choice of compound or simple time or value display multiplier) just be easily programmed in the signature track as beat emphasis is already catered for?

Exciting idea… and will remove the 6/8 calculator-time woes!

Hi everyone. I refresh the thread and join this request as I believe it would be really useful to implement at least the dotted quarter as a reference value for the metronome.
Making songs in 6/8 or 12/8 is quite common in various musical genres, and unless the songs are very slow we know that those time signatures will be subjected to a ternary rhythm, therefore divided into 2 or 4 movements of 3 eighths each , with a natural accent every 3 eighths.

The pattern of these time signatures is typically triplet-like, even though those eighth notes are not tuplets and should not be written as such.

I am not able to evaluate the technical implications for the introduction of such a function, I can only tell you that musically it makes great sense because ternary rhythms are a founding component of almost all African and Afro-American music.

1 Like