Please remove this thread.

ShikiSuen, I think you’re approaching this from one point of view, and Steinberg are approaching it from another.

From your point of view (and clearly Apple’s) Cmd-Shift-Z is appropriate, and should be consistent throughout all macOS programs.

From Steinberg’s point of view, Cmd/Ctrl-Y is appropriate, because it’s consistent on Mac and Windows.

Here in the UK (where Dorico is produced) many educational establishments use Windows computers everywhere except in the composition labs and recording studios (and in the cases of schools, music classrooms). The students and staff use Windows in the library, in the office, in every other classroom.

You could argue that educational establishments are niche, but according to Usage share of operating systems - Wikipedia Mac users make up less than 11% of the general computing population worldwide, and Windows users make up over 80% of the remainder.

I’m guessing that Steinberg (and Microsoft) are betting on most Dorico Mac users being used to Windows shortcuts, and keeping Dorico consistent with what Windows users are used to for these reasons.

If you’re so bothered, change the shortcut in your own copy of Dorico.

(P.S. I loathe the fact that when I use a PC with a UK English keyboard the @ and " symbols are swapped, but again, I’m an exception to the rule!)

You completely ignored what I said at my 1st post: “If this is meant to help Windows users using Dorico on macOS, then please make BOTH of them work.” This feature request would surely not hinder those people (whose grey matter have been soaked by MS Windows for dozens of years) from using CMD+Y (or even CTRL+Y) on macOS. Also, from your perspective, the ideal shortcut key for macOS version of the app should be CTRL+Y in lieu of the CMD+Y which ditched the logical sense of consulting the CMD key. When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

Furthermore, you should omit those statistics of computers used in occasion of non-music areas. I still appreciate your dare of consulting Wikipedia, regardless the political correctness of dismissing informations from Wikipedia.

P.S.: Here in University of Lethbridge over 75% of computers in our faculty of Music are running macOS. Also, almost all students in Digital Audio Arts are macOS users.

I apologise for missing your idea of making both shortcuts work, and reject your (IMO pedantic) idea of of using the Ctrl key rather than the Cmd key on Mac - it would go against absolutely every other Mac program I’ve ever used.

One quick addendum: Cmd-Y performs the Redo action in BOTH Sibelius AND Finale. It may be that (given other Steinberg programs used Cmd-Shift-Z) THIS is the reason the default in Dorico is Cmd-Y.

Just a thought…

P.S. I see no reason to disregard information from StatCounter, a respected computer market-share research outfit, even if their data happens to be quoted on Wikipedia.

Then this surely breaks the hotkey consistency among Steinberg products. Cubase for macOS uses CMD+SHIFT+Z in lieu of CMD+Y, and so does Wavelab for macOS.

Reference:

I will also file the bug report to MakeMusic and AVID to allow them make CMD+SHIFT+Z work on their apps for macOS. Note that MakeMusic usually won’t be in a talking mood listening to feature requests from general public (but from their certain little social circle which consists of notationists in North America… just like Freemasonry but less mysteric).

Oh: My idea has nothing like what you said “rather than…”. :smiley: I just pointed out the illogical way of using CMD key for hotkeys.

P.S.: Information from Wikipedia is helpful once the content of an entry is proved academically correct / reliable. It is generally used for helping paper writers think on what shall they do next, with required additional proof of source reliability.

EOF.

I think you missed:

(given other Steinberg programs used Cmd-Shift-Z)

I think you also missed:

Cmd-Y performs the Redo action in BOTH Sibelius AND Finale.

I’d be very interested to know how what proportion of Dorico customers are not already long-term users of Sibelius OR Finale, but that’d be sensitive data and I’m sure Steinberg won’t give us that information.

Feel free to file all the bug reports you like, but I can’t see established software companies changing shortcuts that have existed for 20+ years - it’d irritate all of their loyal customers (possibly with the exception of your good self).

Something tells me that a discussion about user interface design using words like “psychopathic” probably isn’t going anywhere constructive.

Thanks. I fixed that sentence.

Thanks for pointing out what I missed.

I am not going to ask them to change the current hotkey settings but to ask them to add support of CMD+SHIFT+Z. This indicates that the CMD+Y would not be changed in order to cope with what their customers already get used to.

@ShikiSuen

I fail to see why (given the ability to create your own shortcuts) you are so determined to try to force everyone, including Finale and Sibelius users, to follow your preferred shortcut.

@Derrek

Don’t forget Microsoft Office (Mac) users…

You are encouraging people to think that I am “the spokesman of the Apple macOS Human Interface Guidelines”. However, I am not. I am more critical on some issues happened in macOS.

Side story: You’d never know the horribly-made STHeiti fonts used among iOS builds (prior to iOS 9) are one of the main reason why the performance of iPhone gets hindered (esp. on iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4, as what I tested). I kept on filing bug reports and triggering discussions of such among those online communities in PRC, and Apple finally decided to ask DynaComware to craft a new modern Chinese sans-serif UI font for macOS (since El Capitan) and iOS (since iOS 9) for far more better readability and legibility.

Also, do not falsify my current idea (at least prior to your reply): I am not asking those users to change the hotkey settings they already get used to. Instead, now I am suggesting these software vendors to make both what Apple suggested (CMD+SHIFT+Z) and what these vendors currently implemented (CMD+Y) available to their customers as default.

Microsoft Office pampered current university paperwriters. Most of them just rely on it in lieu of using more logically-reasonable LaTeX. LaTeX is a free cross-platform solution for all-purpose academic typography. Please do think on how to type sharps and flats natively in Microsoft Office instead of either breaking the unity of fonts or using bitmap symbols.

Although I was a little bit shocked at what ShikiSuen wrote in the first place (kind of violent, for that forum…) I must admit that I absolutely agree on his point about Microsoft office and LaTeX… I guess Microsoft’s power (money power ?) has led so many people to use its writing app, and it is a shame, because LaTeX is way more powerful, in every way ! I think this guy has some good points, maybe it could be a good idea to take them into account, and forget the style — it could be just a “cultural offset” that led me to think he was really harsh :wink: