Please return: transparent events + wave image style menu

Well …
there should be an update release by the end of March, AFAIR.

As this has been buried in the lounge, I don’t hold my breath, though.
I’ve learned, to never expect anything from Steinberg.
( … you can’t go wrong with this ‘approach’ :wink: )

bye, Jan

Have a look in the new 6.0.1 pre-release update

Cheers,

Chris

Well… Thanks.

Drag Opacity: As a replacement for transparent
events like in Cubase 5, a new behavior has been
implemented: when dragging Events or Parts in the
Project window, dragged objects reduce their
background color opacity as long as the object is
moved with a pressed mouse button. This reveals the
grid lines of the Project window underneath the content
of the dragged object and allows you to align the peak
of a waveform exactly with a specific line of the grid. It
can be also used to align the content of one object
exactly with the content of another one. As a
consequence, it is now general behavior that dragged
Events (or Parts) no longer leave their image at their
original position in the Project window. However, while
dragging an object, press the [ALT] modifier key (which
is used for copy) to display the object at its original
position from where it was dragged. The Drag Opacity
can be adjusted freely in File > Preferences > Event
Display > Drag Opacity from full to zero opacity. The
default setting is a medium value.

This sounds quite cool. But why is this a replacement instead of an ad on? Why is it impossible to just have “all events transparent” - or at least semi-transparent. The thing with the semi-transparent is a good thing cause the full transparency had some disadvantages as well, for example it is often a little difficult to detect small gabs between events and so on. So - semitransparent events are cool - thanks, but why only the “dragged event”?

Maybe Steinberg programmers usually have only single events on their screen, but I tend to have hundreds or thousands and I like to just have a look on them to see what is going on, THEN I usually edit something.

I hope they will solve that different in Nuendo 5.x - I will go back to Nuendo then.

Drag Opacity: As a replacement for transparent
events like in Cubase 5, a new behavior has been
implemented: when dragging Events or Parts in the
Project window, dragged objects reduce their
background color opacity as long as the object is
moved with a pressed mouse button. This reveals the
grid lines of the Project window underneath the content
of the dragged object and allows you to align the peak
of a waveform exactly with a specific line of the grid.

Well …
If this is the one and only ‘fix’, it won’t meet my ( and probably most others ) needs !

• Very often, I just need to see, how the waveforms align with the grid, before moving them !

• Very often, I need to see the grid on all tracks, to align events to others.
    ( i.e. the tp1 is a bit early, now I want to align the tb, 5 tracks below, to tp1 )

• Very often, I use the ‘slip’ function
    ( move the audio inside the event, without moving the event ).
    Will the event turn transparent, when using ‘slip audio’ ??

Please add a preference for turning all events half transparent ( via shortcut ) !

Thanks, Jan

DaDa, 100% how I look at this…

+1 from me too. As mentioned above, it is sometimes necessary to see the grid before dragging the event.
(btw, makeshift workaround already :wink: … set Snap to “Grid Relative”, with a fairly coarse quantize setting. You can then “drag” the event, and it will become transparent, although it won’t have actually moved yet :wink: )

+1 from me too.

And might I add that it doesn’t work with slip-edit. I’m pretty sure that this is the most commonly used method of editing while requiring to see the grid.

+1

Jan’s reasoning highlights a general principle of measuring:

That which is being measured, and the measuring grid, need to be simultaneously visible in all states from movement to rest, because, for any accurate alignment, the hand and the eye must track decreasing distance from starting point to goal, including the static ‘That’s It’ moment. It also needs to double-check without moving. It also need to do the pre check ‘do I need to move in the first place’

Analogy: You are going woodwork and you want to measure stuff, but the markings on your measuring tools disappear unless you are actively moving the items.
HOW do you ever do fine adjustment?
How do you know when you have reached your goal, when Stopping means that the info disappears?
And how do you measure the distance between static elements within objects?

Best wishes
Glyn

Yep, I feared they would miss that … :frowning:
Obviously harder to implement.

Just adding a simple preference switch ( like in pre6 versions ),
to toggle background transparency, would be a fast and easy fix.
Maybe they didn’t do it, cause there’s still the old issue with vanishing Event borders …
Maybe it was not enough time …

Let’s hope, 6.0.2 will have a more complete solution.

bye, Jan

SB is obviously missing the entire point of why we need transparent events. I think 95% of users complaining for it need it for slip editing (which sounds like this update doesn’t address) & the process is as follows Steinberg. Please understand,

The way most of us are editing is BEFORE u move the event u see whether it’s early or late on the grid (need a transparent event), then if it’s late, u slice about 10ms before the grid point (again, need transparent event for this), finally the last step is sliding the event to the grid pt.

This “fix” only attempts to solve the last step so it makes it completely moot to all of us. Worthless. Come on SB, please bring back transparent events! Or allow the opacity setting to be applied to the events all the time. Something. This is a major workflow hinderance. The new hitpoint detection algorithm is phenomenal, the auto drum editing feature is great on a lot of things, but for non-percussive songs, or complex/fast drums, slip editing (with transparent events!) is an absolute must. It takes me twice as long to edit a full song of drums now.

+1

I could not agree more.

Come on, Steinberg… Don’t f**k up an awesome release just by dropping something what was already there.

I dreamed about “grid lines set to quantization” since years, mostly working with metal-kind of music where tripplets are used quite often. Now we have. Together with edit groups - not to talk about beat detective stuff, hitpoints etc - a dream came true… But it is USELESS without the ability to have ALL Events transparent in some way. They don’t need to be 100% glass - it would be fine - no, not just fine - just awesome and even better then the “old” transparency - when I can adjust the transparency with a slider. Just the way it seems to be now. But not only for ONE single event… I usually have 3 screens full of events here!

What is the problem to just set ALL events to transparency - if it is possible to implement such a complex feature like “when dragged with a mouse the event becomes transparent” it should be possible to just make it a general setting. Or no?!

I am repeating myself like a broken record… But Cubase 6 is NOT usable in the moment. Please take some time for the final update, nobody needs it tomorrow or next week - but every serious working engineer/producer needs transparent events.

Same here. I love N4 and I still do all the mixing work in it cause it is great - BUT lately I do not want to miss some V5 features - Vari-Audio is a daily used quick-fix for all kind of stuff during the mixing stage… as well as I am lazy - and when I record in C5.5 I just stay in it and mix it there. Works well, but feels … well… cheaper :slight_smile:

I pray too that N5.5 will have STILL THE NUENDO GUI!!! but combined with C6 features. Then I will update to N5 and keep C5/6 as a second licence for my laptop/home/road - that was for what I bought it.

+1 Transparent Audio Events. My workflow is basically broken without it.

+110000 :imp:

Whilst still using C5, this topic, from its inception has led me to take inventory of my use of transparent events. Along with the previous poster, they are a central part of my workflow toward precision.

I wonder if Steinberg is reading along here and - if so - they care a poop about what is going on here.

We have already pages full of “give us back transparent events” - then Chris jumps in and told us “wait guys, it is just not ready yet, it will come” - and then, all of a sudden a complete new “feature” is there, adding something new again but completely ignoring the problem itself!!

All we need is “all events transparent”. Like it was or with the new GUI (maybe a slider for adjustable transparency) - we do not care, both would be fine.

And this is not only a “well it would be nice to have” thing - this is a “I can not do my work that way” kind of thing…

Thanks for an official “yes, we will put back transparent events in Cubase”.

Brandy