"Please switch to an Aero theme" on Win 7 (discussion)

On Windows 7, the error message “DWM composition is not running. Please switch to an Aero theme” prevents Cubase Pro/Artist 8 from starting.
Please read this article for details on this issue:

https://www.steinberg.net/nc/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/windows-7-error-message-dwm-composition-is-not-running-please-switch-to-an-aero-theme.html

There are zero and none benefits disabling AERO. Its just the opposite.

With AERO OFF, you instruct the computer to use the CPU running all graphic instead of using the GPU-chip onboard on the graphic card. You also make the computer and system/Cubase fail on all direct graphical API calls.

Secondly, the old Windows 95 theme looks ugly as hell too. Thanks Ed for making this helpful thread sticky. :wink:

Best Regards
Freddie

Oh Freddie,

I really missed you the last couple of days :slight_smile:

All the best

Hi Luis! :wink:

What a wonderful release you all at Steinberg have done on Cubase PRO 8.
Amazing new features and enhancements to an already wonderful platform.

Its no question about it, Cubase PRO 8 are without a doubt the leading DAW on the market right now.
Steinberg have really pushed the envelope even further on this one. I’m really impressed. Everyone that I have talk too the last days say exactly the same.

Just the new re-work on all windows management and be able to resize freely any kind of VSTs GUI are impressive enough and worth the update. Add then to the list VCA faders, real-time audio waveform in mix console, update pre-filter, new 192khz 32bit audio-engine, update EQ, DeEsser, bounce in place, new plugins, VST Connect SE3 added directly to mix console, 70% less in ASIO-CPU in use compare opening the same project in Cubase 7.5 etc. The list goes just on.

WOW amazing features and great job! :slight_smile: :smiley:
Have a great weekend Luis!

Best regards
Freddie

Secondly, the old Windows 95 theme looks ugly as hell too.

Thats a question of preferences. I prefer it because its simple and neutral. I prefer that the system graphics acts inte the background.

Freddie, you said it all.

Even if it was the opposite, I would never think of turning off Aero.
I don’t understand how people can stand the ugly basic UI of Windows.

Even more, now I moved to Windows 8.1, and the only thing I want to get back is the Aero Glass transparency !!

The impact on GPU performances or memory is totally negligible with a decent, and even basic recent graphics card.

Secondly, the old Windows 95 theme looks ugly as hell too. Thanks Ed for making this helpful thread sticky. > :wink:

Nonsense. The ‘Classic’ view is far more -legible- because it’s -simple-.

If you want proof, look at Windows 8. The default theme is much less ‘3d’ and much less ‘translucent’. Apple is headed in the same direction. FLAT and more contrast is far easier to deal with for many of us.

People like what they like, but Aero is -much- harder to read. All the little dealies that seem so attractive at first get annoying over long sessions.

So please help out an “oldy” here guys.

I bought a new hex core PC workstation from Scan in the UK to run Cubase 7.5.

It came tweaked within an inch of it’s life, I presume for max performance, so that there are no visual frills at all
every single visual thing is unchecked.

What is the minimum I need to enable to get CP 8 going.

Do I simply follow the instructions at the beginning of this thread?, I imagine Aero is definitely disabled.

Thanks

I did/do too but you can switch off all the enhancements.

Moral of the story:

Upgrade to Windows 8/Cubase 8

With Windows 8 you have GPT disks with larger clusters, performance is vastly improved.

Exactly.

Windows Basic theme works best for laptop users who have hybrid GPU+CPU systems (which most modern latpops are these days). You get a noticeable performance boost turning off Aero. And the Windows Classic theme is great (it’s modeled after Windows 98SE not Win95) for giving you even more screen real estate and being simpler to see.

I do most of my work on a desktop DAW but I also have a couple of mobile rigs that I have to take on the road for recording and mixing, so this new change is kind of detrimental.

Overall the new UI is pretty buggy and pointless to me. But the actual program and engine run smoother than Cubase 7.5 on my system so I guess that’s the price I have to pay. :slight_smile:

I agree with all suntower’s points. I’m really annoyed at having to turn off the understated, easy-on-the-eyes UI theme I’ve been accustomed to in favor of a visually assertive (I’d go so far as to say garish) them I’m stuck with now - and that’s after toning it down as much as I could find ways to do so.

Obviously you have no clue what your talking about.

I have everything Aero disabled on my machine because it cause Cubase transport bar to stutter. Ever since i turned it all off, it all works flawlessly. Also if your using a Gforce card, you can instruct it to use its GPU for just Cubase. It made my system fly visually and gone was all the stuttering. So yes, some of us like the ‘ugly’ old windows look simply because i dont care about transparent windows, i dont care about silly animations all i care about is getting work done. All that Aero has to offer gets in the way. Obviously C8 requires it which is a bummer what heh, what can you do?

I see Windows 7 as the new XP, and as such I assume that everyone will be migrating in record numbers to Windows 10. So having to use Aero is just a temporary setback until the cleaner and sleeker Win10 UI becomes what everyone is used to.

I have Cubase 8 installed on one of m Win8.1 machines and it looks great, and since Win10 will be using Metro (or a Metro look-alike) then it’s all just fine. All I care about at this point is that the UI bugs in C8 get sorted out…

And for the love of god PLEASE center that damn “Cubase Pro” in the title bar! I know Windows 8 title bars have things off center like that, but it’s just so ugly!

Great, but what about ATI users?

ATI on …for everyone, even though some still don’t get it.
Actually it was ATI that develop AERO together with Microsoft.

Best Regards
Freddie

Sorry but you’re wrong.
You are only using your CPU like in XP32 as long you have AERO turned off. Also you get errors in the background cousing system instability that can lead to crash and even worse, total failure blue screen crash errors.

The option in NVIDIA control you’re talking about has nothing to do with AERO. You can set specific different NVIDIA settings instead of using GLOBAL NVIDIA settings to different programs example: IE Explorer, Acrobat Reader or Cubase etc.
Aero is a Windows component that needs to be turn on to work correctly for anyone, ATI, NVIDIA or other chip users.

Best Regards
Freddie

BTW I’ve still got the jumpy timeline, I hope they find a solution soon. The stationary cursors looks very smooth now. It’s getting there.

Sorry but you’re wrong.
You are only using your CPU like in XP32 as long you have AERO turned off. Also you get errors in the background cousing system instability that can lead to crash and even worse, total failure blue screen crash errors.

The option in NVIDIA control you’re talking about has nothing to do with AERO. You can set specific different NVIDIA settings instead of using GLOBAL NVIDIA settings to different programs example: IE Explorer, Acrobat Reader or Cubase etc.
Aero is a Windows component that needs to be turn on to work correctly for anyone, ATI, NVIDIA or other chip users.

Best Regards
Freddie

To be clear this isn’t a competition to see who’s right or wrong. My computer is prove enough that FOR ME, Areo off works better. IF there are options to turn AERO off than obviously, they are not a main requirement for windows. All the flashy transparent stuff is useless and doesn’t add anything to productivity anyways. In the future, theres no way around it. ok. I get that. But how will you explain that if i turn AERO on, my cubase transport bar is like skipping (not smooth) and when its all off, its gliding along like butter. Explain that to me?

My point, who knows why it works off better for some and for others not. Cubase 8 doesn’t work without it on so for my current situation, i cannot use Cubase 8. You know the saying, if it aint broke…

Seriously, why is there no “bang head against wall” or “facepalm” emoticon…

Aero is not what you see, thats just a “sideeffect” of having Aero: a more beautiful GUI, which doesn’t look like dinosaur-age XP.

Quite the opposite, though… Aero is a new implementation of the Windows user interface system by Microsoft which includes two very important things:

a) Improved UI and UI widget functionality
b) Hardware acceleration for the UI

Yes, it was the right decision to enforce it. As it were the right decision to force users to go 64 bits, which is something Steinberg, for reason unknown to me, is not ready to do yet.

It’s not like a non-substandard PC costs an arm and a leg nowadays, seriously.

All this “zomg something that was invented after the computer stone age!!1 Oh noes 64 bits, oh noes AERO!!eleven” whining is just annoying. Get rid of your legacy hardware and just stop it, thank you VERY much!