"Please switch to an Aero theme" on Win 7 (discussion)

So basically you posted this to make yourself feel somehow superior? Are you telling me to shut the zoinc up? Legacy hardware? lol. Who says im not using top of the line poopies? Still, ive had issues with Aero on this year so i have obviously voice my concern about having to turn it the zoinc on when my system works flawless without it ATM. Does that compute? So if you hate seeing the whining so much please stop posting on this topic. I most def would thank you very much.

I don’t know what you’re doing with your computers in the first place, to start with.

Ever since the release of this famous public beta of Windows 7 back in 2009 I was all over Aero - and never had the slightest problem using it.

Dude, are you really going to push it further? I get it. You love Aero. It works great for you. Brilliant. But that doesn’t mean a) it will work the same for others and b) just because its working for you means others are computer noobs, which is what your implying.

I don’t think this is correct. I am having a problem I think maybe is related to Aero and Cubase. I now can only export a project in real time. Never had this before in Cubase 7.5. This is horrible also Aero is ugly and that is why Microsoft removed that look when they made the Windows 8 “Metro Style” GUI.

Moderator please stop removing and deleting my posts just because you disagree with me and stop locking threads you don’t like.

I’m trying to help, thats all.

Since I’m a software developer / architect, I know quite well what Aero does… and I’m really astonished that people report problems like this.

So for me the first impulse is: ok, thats just conservative whining, because something has changed - and “change is bad, mkay”.

Dear software engineer,

It is causing real problems. See my post: http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=226&t=70158

Hi all that doesn’t like the change.

You all that complain here. There are only three catogories here that explains your problems and the negativ attitude.

\

1. You have no real knowlege about the system and have done all kinds of bad xp tweaks on your system you have found on the Internet that you never should done in the first place. One of them are example disable Aero, turn schedule to background etc. Now you have f-'uck up your system so much so now you have problems and can’t get back or sort it out anymore.

\
  2. You have a low-end graphic card that doesn’t work or can handle the Aero. You never did understand why invest in a graphic card? You have used the cpu all these years for graphic and now you get errors because Aero has been turned off and graphic card to bad or the drivers ars not up to date.

\
  3. You still think we use Windows 95 or Xp32. You thought they just change the name not how everything works? You don’t get the difference between the OS systems and threats all system the same and likewise.

So Who are you? Take a pick what apply to your problems best. :wink: :smiley:

Best regards
Freddie

Freddie as usual is quite on the mark.

Windows (particularly OS’s post XP) work better with greater physical resources than the software, including the OS needs.

There are some tweaks that can be performed like switching off certain services and you CAN use background scheduling if you are on the net but his advice about graphics is spot on.

I know this because when you disable Themes in XP it (Windows XP) works better but not so with Vista and above.

If you really want to conserve resources go for easy targets like windows search.

Let’s be honest though, Windows 7 is dead in the water because of GPT since if you have a large cluster disk, Windows 7 will create logical cluster sizes, which impact on performance so realistically if you want to run a DAW on windows, version 8 (Windows) is the way to go.

But Freddie wasn’t being entirely serious -I think :slight_smile:

He does tend to repeat what in the main amount to facts about DAW setup and usage and for the most part I agree.

The only point I ever digress on is regarding background services, you need these if you have your system online otherwise it can be vulnerable to attack from many quarters.

The art is of course knowing which services to switch off and those kinds of tweaks do not come from “DAW professionals” but rather IT and networking gurus or plain experience.

As with audio, less is more so the less services you switch off the better, there are very few (services) that can be switched off and not affect DAW performance, which is the reason why you need a system that is specified way beyond what the DAW and OS actually require.

that’s 15 years ago, ancient technology on ancient systems, not even capable of running C8 :slight_smile:

If it’s such a problem upgrade to win8

People love their legacies. I don’t know why.

I just update and start using Cubase PRO 8.

WOW!!! :smiley: :smiley: :slight_smile:

Freaking beautiful GUI, colors, how it reacts and intergrade with the user and everything.
I’m really amazed that anyone have the nerve to complain about this? :smiley:
What Steinberg has done is an amazing update. You all that don’t get that or like it should go elsewhere or go back to Windows 95. I know that all other DAWs manufactories and programs will copy Steinberg’s new GUI integration and behavior.

So get use to it because this is the future! :slight_smile:

Best Regards
Freddie

In my case, it’s on a second computer and cluster sizes don’t matter to me because I am just using MIDI. The issue was the serious problem of not being able to export audio unless I used real-time or disabled ASIO-Guard. I fixed that with some tweaks to the performance settings. I also see some other anomalies outside of Cubase I never experienced before which are mostly just bothersome (SINCE BEING FORCED TO USE AN AERO THEME), then there is I don’t like the look of it.

People who say Aero doesn’t matter or that Aero is better are simply wrong. This upgrade was not a smooth experience or a good experience. Bad engineering! I hope this does not foreshadow a horrible future for Cubase. I have liked it in recent years. I have to wonder who retired at Steinberg recently?

My last point, if people are annoyed, that is unfortunate and it reflects poorly on Steinberg. It is not up to you to decide if they are annoyed or if they should be annoyed. I use a lot of software and this is the first program ever which demands I use an Aero theme so honestly, you can not say they had to do it. No such issue with Reaper!

I wounder if you do the same in traffic driving your car?
Most countries drive on the right side of the road not left.

The world and that country you are in have decided to drive on right side of the road, but you continue to drive on the wrong side, the left side of the road. People call the police because someone lunatic still thinks it 1950ths?

So you blame all other people that drive on the wrong side, the right side of the street. We telling you it were many years we switch side, we use differnt fuel too. But still you seem to think the whole world is wrong include the engineers that actually build the freeway for right side traffic.

Who is wrong, you or the rest of the world?

Best regards
Freddie

How do other DAW’s manage windows without requiring Aero to be enabled? This seems strange, and a bit odd.

Folks criticizing people for not liking aero are missing the point. It a preference - everybody’s got 'em. Some people like aero, others don’t. This whole argument that it’s better for processing is irrelevant as somehow other software manages windows without forcing users to select a theme. It’s just not smart to remove people’s choices of preferences.

-Tom

What a pointless example.

I have used the Windows 7 Classic design for years because I like the simple look. Not everybody is fond of colored and semi-transparent menu bars/windows and minimize/maximize animations.

It’s possible for me to switch to an Aero theme without a technical problem, but when Cubase 8 Pro is the only piece of software that requires an Aero theme to run ony my computer, one must be allowed to ask the question if that is a case of inevitable progress or one of bad programming and I tend to believe it’s the latter.

After all, I am using a supported OS with a default layout preset provided by the OS itself. Forcing your users to change their OS layout when no other DAW requires it is not exactly a selling point.

Opinions aside, no program can be built for ALL system conventions so it’s not necessarily bad engineering that causes things to not work. They have limitations to program within.
There are times to move the system forwards. If one has to use older hardware and OS on the other computers one owns for mobile as opposed to fixed studio computers then it might be best to use an older or different DAW on that unit and deal with the translations of stems to the main computer as is. Quicker than asking to have Cubase “fixed” so you can use it on every system known to man.
Besides calling the engineers incompetent when they are obviously not is not going the best way to have any fixable problems addressed.
There have been a couple of times I have been annoyed at having to buy and configure a new computer and OS but before I criticise Steinberg engineers I’d always question my own “engineering” first. I see that we have programmers contributing and from their answers I can deduce that even they do not assume that they know better than Steinberg’s programmers. That or they’re too polite to say.
And I will add that well over nine out of ten times I find a serious problem it’s hardware at fault rather than any sort of programming.
If Aero works, use it. If it doesn’t, don’t. It’s not something that Cubase is likely to please everyone about.
Windows 8 is not that big a deal over Windows 7. R / Click on the taskbar / Properties / Navigation / Start Screen / tick “Show my desktop on startup”. You get used to the rest after a week or so.

Again Freddie H is on the money with respect to his comment regarding other DAW’s.

The reason Aero is a requirement is obviously due to the fact that there are UI dependencies within the program that if working without Aero enabled; would likely crash the program.

No one has issues with AERO, people who are against AERO just have issues…
And just are not ready for 8, they’ve been disconnected with IT for the last decade and are the same people that moaned about MS retiring XP. Get over it. Cubase8 is way to forward thinking for u.