Plug-in Manager - cannot move subfolder to bottom of folder

This is true 100% of the time.

Repro case:

1. In the Plug-in Manager, have at least two top-level folders, and have the first top-level folder contain subfolders. Do not have any plugins in the top-level folder; only have plugins in the subfolders.
  2. In the first top-level folder, try to move a subfolder to the bottom-most slot. Release the left-click.
  3. You will see that, rather than being moved to the bottom-most slot, the subfolder is promoted to a top-level folder.

It is therefore impossible to move a subfolder to the bottom-most slot in a folder.

Here is an example:

I run into this issue very frequently. The (quite tedious) workaround is to drag the folder to the second-from-bottom slot, then move the bottom-most folder above it so that the intended bottom-most folder is now in its place.

Steinberg, can you please fix this behavior?

(Bonus: I also find it quite annoying that the folders auto-expand if you are dragging plugins to them and hover over a folder for too long. It would be great if they would just stay in place, and perhaps a right-click would expand them. Or if that behavior was optional, etc.)

I note that this continues in Cubase 9.0.30.

Here’s me trying to reproduce this:

Am I doing anything wrong? Are you on Mac?

djw - thank you very much for taking the time to do this. It’s very good to see that it’s working correctly on your system, although: Could you try the same test with multiple folders at the same hierarchical level, as in my demonstration below?

No Mac here; I’m using Windows 10 Pro with Cubase 9.0.30.

Here’s the behavior on my machine:

Oh, that’s what you meant. In that case I get the same behavior as well.

This issue continues in Cubase 9.5.0.

This issue continues in Cubase 9.5.1.

While it’s an issue for sure, the simple work around would be to move it just above the bottom most folder and then move the bottom folder one step up.

The plugin manager is a bit fiddly in general. Folders expanding quickly when you drag things around, often turns into a big mess when you try to organize things. I’d also like to see a way to right-click on folders and choose sort by name for example.

One other function/method that I used to use was removed when the plugin manager was released and I’d like to see it come back in some form: Before I would sort plugins by instances in the plugin list. In the same window I could clearly see the latency for each plugin. This was very handy in making sure that I was using only 0-latency plugs during recording. You can still see latency for plugins but you must select them one by one and look in the info box.

This issue continues in Cubase 9.5.30.

This issue continues in Cubase 12.0.70.