Plug in Manager

When I go to insert an effect or look for a synth, my list of plugins is a mess. Mostly because developers (including cubase) refuse to allow the user to choose directrory locations 100% of the time. So, I end up with 2 different x64 versions of Fab Filter’s VSTs and the vst3 versions in my list. Yuck!

I saw that cubase has the plug-in manager. However, when I tried it, it didn’t seem to save my “organized collection” that I created. Does this save with the project or globally or what? What action do I need to take to make it save?

Can I organize the default or collections I create only?

The plug in manager is global, it’s best not to change the default as that will always show everything,

So create a new collection, perhaps call it MAIN and organize that one.

Ending up with VST2 and VST3 plug ins of the same plug can be avoided only by making sure you only put one version in your new collection, in the case of FabFilter, I only put the VST3 versions in.

it’s best not to change the default as that will always show everything

It’s actually not possible to make any change to the default as far as I can see.

how is everyone else finding the Plugin Manager? works logically and as expected? not crashing?

i ask because it is probably 90% of the reason for my desire to upgrade…

cheers
Blackout

It’s OK…I did find Cubase seemed a bit crashy after using it and then all changes were lost, so now I always close cubase and reopen after editing any plugin collection.

Takes a bit of getting used to the fact that when installing a new plug it won’t be available until added to the collection you are using. Shame new installs don’t automatically get added to all collections rather than default only.

One other annoyance is that you can only see the full info with ASIO guard and plug in active/inactive options for one plug at a time. Pre manager these options were easily accessed in the list view.

+1

I love the new plugin manager. This and render-in-place are the first new features that have mattered to me for a long time. It is true, though, that when you install a new VSTi you will need to open up the manager and add it to your collection before you see it.

I used to create elaborate folder hierarchies to achieve a similar result, but it was frustrating that VST3 plugins could not be placed within my own scheme. Now every VSTi and be organized however you want.

So, on balance, given all the GUI problems and other issues, I still would have adopted 8.0.5 if I had to do it all over again, because of the manager and render. These are the most significant upgrades for what I do for a long, long time, although going to 64-bit was another big milestone.

I too like the new Plugin Manager - it was often asked (pleaded…!) for by many users and SB have delivered.

I’m happy with adding newly installed plugs to my collections, as and when I’ve had a chance to play with them and find out what job/task they may be best suited for (to my taste…!).

I’d hope, that the columns of available info (metadata/detail) about each plugin could be expanded upon in future releases (ASIO Guard and active/inactive status, etc…).

Bob

+1 nightmusic. i feel exactly the same way.

its good to hear that overall it does what is expected of it. So often Steinberg include a shiny new feature, but there is one crucial flaw that cripples it making it a nice addition on the tin list for their marketing department but a useless addition in reality to users.

it sounds like well done Steinberg this time.

Maybe its me or what but everytime i add a new plugin and i use a custom plugin organization, the new plugin is not included in the organized root. I always need to add it by creating a new organization setup…is it normal? Any way to get rid of this?

Maybe its me or what but everytime i add a new plugin and i use a custom plugin organization, the new plugin is not included in the organized root. I always need to add it by creating a new organization setup…is it normal?

Yeah…Maybe it’s just you :laughing:

Takes a bit of getting used to the fact that when installing a new plug it won’t be available until added to the collection you are using. Shame new installs don’t automatically get added to all collections rather than default only.

It is true, though, that when you install a new VSTi you will need to open up the manager and add it to your collection before you see it.

I’m happy with adding newly installed plugs to my collections, as and when I’ve had a chance to play with them and find out what job/task they may be best suited for (to my taste…!).

heheheh…would be nice to have an option to automatically add a new plug or not…

steinberg plz! :wink:

Take an afternoon and sort out Plugin Manager to your hearts content.

I guarantee you it will slice hours away from your sessions overall.
It feels like someone hired a maid to re-organize and re-patch the studio.