Plug in playing techniques

Hi,

Overall, other than random crashes, none that I have been able to replicate and which will hopefully disappear with updates I am enjoying using Dorico.

One thing that is frustrating me though is that I have right clicked on VST instrument on the play screen and have got to ‘plug in playing techniques’ as I am trying to set up articulations for instruments in kontakt but nothing seems to happen - I also don’t seem to be able to find anything in the ‘manual’ about it or about the play section.

Apologies if this has already been covered in the forum or I am missing something obvious.

Thanks

I’m glad you’re generally enjoying Dorico but sorry you’re frustrated trying to get playing techniques in Kontakt to work. Basically there’s no support for this just yet but this is something that we are working on right now, so that playing techniques in the score can give rise to changes in Expression Map and thus trigger different sounds in your VST plug-ins. So hold tight for a future update!

Is there a list anywhere of features that appear (like plug in playing techniques) but are not live yet so that I can avoid further searching.

Thanks

I’m afraid there’s no more comprehensive list than the one shown at the bottom of this page:

under the heading “Features in depth”, but that list is very high-level and we didn’t want to list every possible feature that every other scoring software has that Dorico does not yet have, as it would seem that Dorico can’t do anything, when in fact it’s already highly capable, although the nature of the beast is that so many customers have so many different use cases in mind that the breadth of needed functionality is mind-boggling.

As long as those playing techniques are triggered by key switches you can add a second staff to the instrument staff. Assign it to the same midi channel and add the key switch notes there. Please note: You will have to copy the dynamics into this (ks)staff as well and you will have to go to the track and adjust the start point to make sure those are played before the note.