Plugin Copy Limit

Hello folks…

If I make an instrument track with padshop as the virtual instrument, and then I try to duplicate the track, and duplicate it again, so that I have 3 instruments, and then I duplicate that to make 6 tracks, and then again to make 12, and then again to 24, and then again to what should be 48, it crashes on that last one. It crashes at around 30 instruments, with no midi data and without playing anything. The message box says “A serious problem has occurred: Please try to save your project under another name and then restart Cubase7.exe. If this problem persists please contact Steinberg Technical Support with a description of what you do to create this problem, and the created file C:/User/Bob/Documents/Steinberg/CrashDumps/Cubase 7.0.7.227732bit 2014.6.29 22.11.dmp. Click ‘OK’ to be informed about further occurrences of serious problems, or ‘Cancel’ to suppress these warnings in case of cascading warnings!”
Guys I can’t keep putting up with these problems. I shelled out a good $290 last year to buy Cubase and I’m a student so I don’t have unlimited cash. I’m really considering the Reaper route or Studio One route but I don’t have the money and those daws don’t have the best VSTI’s. Any suggestions? I just want Cubase to work. What I would really like is free upgrades to cubase until the bugs are fixed. I just need something that works and this has too many bugs. Please help :slight_smile:

Thank you for taking your time to help me :slight_smile:

Why on earth do you want a track with 48 padshops in it?

What O/S? Is it 64bit? Are you running Cubase as 64bit

When you have copied the last batch before the crash what are your ASIO meter readings like?
How much RAM is being used by your system at this point?
How much RAM do you have?

My thoughts exactly. At least … why 48 duplicates!?!

Seriously, what are you trying to achieve with such nonsense?

It does.

System specs? Details …

Hello,

This is not a bug, I have just created 256 tracks (could add more but there is no point to it) with PadShop on a 64 bit version of Cubase 7.5 on a MacBook Pro with a 2,3 Intel i7 processor and 8 GB of Ram.
Also, what audio interface do you have and what is the buffer size?

Best regards,
GN

Hello,
I was creating so many tracks because I was trying to do a shootout between Reaper and Cubase on certain plugins that I own, and Cubase was winning hands down…until boom. And then I did it again and again, restarted my machine, and repeated the process and still got the same results. Hmmmm…my specs are Windows 7 32 bit, 3 gb ram, intel pentium dual core laptop, 2.0 ghz processor, and the reading on the windows task manager processes tab was memory=1,013,672. Oddly, though, I started adding the plugins one by one and there were no pops or clicks in the recording just before the crash. And it crashed even when I wasn’t playing anything. Except I did notice in my total memory usage in the task manager that it climbed steadily from 1.29 on idle to 2.44 and then crashed, so it definitely may be a ram overload, even though the cpu can keep up with playback. That’s very possible.

Oh by the way, buffer size is 512 samples and audio interface for this experiment was my internal soundcard with the generic low latency asio driver.

But you seem to have unlimited time, as you waste it on such pointless tests :slight_smile:

On topic – this sounds like a RAM problem, and probably specific to 32-bit version. I recently had to do some work on similar configuration and Cubase 32-bit was crashing when the application’s used RAM went beyond 1 Gb.

was my internal soundcard with the generic low latency asio driver.

Generic driver on internal audio card is NOT a stable solution for Cubase…if you can’t afford a decent interface try using the ASIO4all driver.

Hello - safe to say you will need to upgrade . just look around the forum and see what the heavy hitters are using, then it may guide you and give you a better idea. Some do scoring for various stuff.

FWIW I have a few projects of 256 tracks of RAM hungry Virtual instruments (NI stuff , spitfire stuff etc and EW Play using Symphonic Choirs, Toontrack SD2), also set as a template, definitely not experiencing what you are experiencing, mind you my PC specs are below, which are not top notch specs!

must say though, blaming cubase is not the way forward. as said above there are a lot of people doing waaaaaay more complex stuff on their rig and getting by.

all the best in your studies.

But you seem to have unlimited time, as you waste it on such pointless tests > :slight_smile: >

Well I do have a full time job, but I was curious to see the outcome as many people seem to think Reaper is more efficient than Cubase. But that’s another debate that many people do not want to hear right now. I do not intend to start the daw wars :slight_smile:

On topic – this sounds like a RAM problem, and probably specific to 32-bit version. I recently had to do some work on similar configuration and Cubase 32-bit was crashing when the application’s used RAM went beyond 1 Gb.

Yes, I concluded it was a RAM problem, because I added a few more tracks in Reaper and it crashed too at around 2.71/3.00 gb system RAM usage.

Generic driver on internal audio card is NOT a stable solution for Cubase…if you can’t afford a decent interface try using the ASIO4all driver.

Yes, I own a decent interface. But sometimes powering up your interface when you’re on your laptop just isn’t the way to go. But I will take your advice and use the ASIO4all driver that I have instead of the stock Cubase driver. I’m talking about the driver that acutally comes with Cubase, by the way.