Plugin Loading Issues

macOS High Sierra - 10.13.6
Mid 2014 MacBook Pro
2.5GHz i7, 16GB RAM

I found some odd behavior with plugin effects yesterday while I was testing. I was loading and unloading plugins and it seemed randomly a plugin would be loaded in the insert strip via the mixer screen and nothing would happen. The window for the plugin wouldn’t appear and removing/adding that particular plugin again wouldn’t do change that. It was happening for 3rd party plugins and for Steinberg plugins (Frequency was one). Adding the same plugin to a neighboring channel - or another slot in the insert chain worked just fine.

Are you able to reproduce this on a new/fresh project?

Another thing to try is to load Cubase in Safe Mode and retest.

Try these (if you haven’t already) and then we can go from there.

Are you able to reproduce this on a new/fresh project?

Another thing to try is to load Cubase in Safe Mode and retest.

Try these (if you haven’t already) and then we can go from there.

I was using a new, blank project with a single audio file to test. I wasn’t very scientific, just placing the effect in the first slot and replacing it with the next one to see if it would load. Eventually the weird behavior happened.

How do I start Cubase in Safe Mode?

Also I can try on my Mac Pro (same OS version) and see if I can recreate the issue there. Over this weekend I can test some more and see if I can isolate what causes it.

Has the safe mode key combination for MacOS not changed? I thought it was just shift now - this article says Shift+Alt+Cmd?