Plural for Playing technique

Hi,
I have a suggestion/request if is possible to be implemented in the future : there are quite often playing techniques which has to be slightly different when apply for multiple instruments because they refer to the plural form since it’s more than one instrument.

For example Solo (above one instrument which has a solo voice in the score) becomes Soli when 2 instruments condensed have the leading voice in the score.

Would be amazing to have an option to set a plural version of Playing techniques so this situation becomes much easier to handle.
For now I use the workaround : having 2 differite playing techniques for singular and plural, and hide singular version in the general score, then hide the plural in parts. But it takes some time which could be used in other ways.
Thank you.

In the specific case of Solo vs Soli I’d argue that they have different musical meanings, and that it would be advisable to keep this consistent between score and parts. Still an interesting feature idea. but perhaps you can find a less debatable use case?

2 Likes

the solo/soli dichotomy is pretty much unique to band scores.

in an orchestral score, bringing out material is either not generally indicated (one assumes that the same material in multiple instruments will be noticed by the conductor, and thus taken into account), or is indicated with something like “espr.” or “en dehors” or some variant thereof.

However, this also means that score and parts would contain the exact same markings.

In the case of indicating that a fixed number out of a section are meant to play, again, this would be identical in both score and parts: “3 soli” for example, drawn from the violin section.

Personally, I’ve always been a bit taken aback by this unique way of indicating a call out in band scores.

Well, I tend to disagree with the solo/soli being a band score trademark. There are quite a lot of symphonic music scores where Solo/Soli indicates that an instrument is the main voice at a certain point. Some French composers used en dehors, but it’s a bit subjective and sometimes ignored by musicians.
Mahler, Stravinsky, Ravel, Enescu, Strauss, etc used Solo/Soli in their scores to underline one, two or few particular voices. And I am working with this kind of notation right now and that’s why I proposed it for analyzing.

Another example would be : bell up / bells up , or pavillon en l’air, pavillons en l’air in french
Con sordina/con sordini

I am sure if we think aboute there are quite few examples where this feature cold be useful.

1 Like

It’s clear that some sort of second/alternative text possibility for PTs is needed. I am especially thinking about shortening variants, for example to have „sul pont.“ and „s.p.“ within the same object.

Hear, hear…

that’s a great bonus as well!