Plus sign before the number in figured bass

Hell all,

Is it possible in any way to write the +6 or any number with a + before the actual number in Dorico?
Figured bass

Many thanks in advance for any help,

Max

I canā€™t remember off the top of my head, but check in Engrave > Engraving Options > Figured Bass for various ways of presenting different intervals in figured bass.

Hi Lillie,

Unfortunately there is nothing there when it comes to recreate what I have attached :frowning:
I had a look at the Figurato font that some users have recommended but then I would have to draw all the various horizontal lines manually and combining Doricoā€™s native figured bass with the Figurato font will cause some numbers to look different due to the different font used.

A compromise is to add the + sign manually as a separate text, at the moment I donā€™t see any other wayā€¦

Maximvs, you might be able to use my MusAnalysis font to plug the gaps.

I donā€™t recommend it over Doricoā€™s native figured bass function, but itā€™s a helpful tool to have on hand as well. It can do most everything Iā€™m seeing in that picture. It can also do backtracking lines, which work quite well once you get used to them. Just a thought.

Dear Dan,

Thanks a lot for your kind reply and suggestionā€¦ I had a look at your excellent MusAnalysis font, is it possible to write for example the slashed number 5? I have a client that likes to have figured bass numbers as in my pictureā€¦ Many thanks and best regards,

Max

Hi Maximus.
Just wonderingā€¦ are you French? Because I certainly am, and indeed Iā€™ve learned figured bass in the Conservatoire in a way that does not exist (yet?) in Dorico, where the sensible is marked with a + sign. My God, why is is sooooooo difficult to find the translation of sensible in English? It looks as though all the analysis theory is different from what we learn hereā€¦ The ā€œsensibleā€ is the note below the ā€œtoniqueā€, what would be the root of the tonic chord in English.
Well, if itā€™s possible, this would be a Feature request : allow us to input figured bass in the French style. Thereā€™s quite some litterature written like thatā€¦

2 Likes

Hi Max, Iā€™m working on this particular one right now, after I realized itā€™s not yet possible.

It sounds to me like the best English translation of sensible would be subtonic or leading tone.

2 Likes

You can set Figurato to be the font for Figured Bass, so that it will match, whether itā€™s Figure Bass, or Lyrics.

Font Styles > Figure Bass Font

1 Like

I had great difficulty when I lived in Paris understanding all of the musical (and especially pipe organ) terms. They never teach you music lingo in generic language classesā€¦

I was once helping the ā€œtitulaireā€ tune a pipe organ in paris and he was shouting at me from within the organ case and it took me a good long while to decipher what he actually meant. lol.

2 Likes

It is called the leading note because in the most common cadence (V - I) it leads to the tonic.

David

Thanks! I only found leading note in a Wikipedia article that put it along with a B chord (while in C). Nice to know the english term. In France, we learn to write the + sign in the figured bass before the number (or the hidden 3rd) that is the leading note.
It would be nice if the litteral input (with ā€œ!ā€ at the beginning of the popover entry) allowed to have that plus sign.

Hello Marc,

I am Swiss -Italian and completely understand what you are saying in term of the ā€˜sensibleā€™ which in italian is called ā€˜sensibileā€™, both are coming from the same Latin word ā€˜desinereā€™ meaning ā€˜to endā€™ and in English, like people have already mentioned, is called the ā€˜leading toneā€™ or ā€˜subtonicā€™.

Dorico at present doesnā€™t allow to add a + sign before the number not even when you insert at the very beginning the override symbols (i.e. o O !). Maybe they will add this option in the future but at present I just created a staff text with Shift + X and created the + sign that wayā€¦ it is fiddling and it takes manual adjustment but in the end I was able to reproduce the score and my client is very happyā€¦ :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Max

1 Like

Hi Dan,

Thanks a lot for the feedback and I hope in a future update you will add perhaps the possibility to write slashed numbersā€¦ In any case your font looks very useful indeed.

Best,

Max

Hi Ben,

I did test the Figurato font and it works pretty well but I could only make it work by substituting the Dorico Lyrics fonts, for some reason that I cannot understand when I substituted the Dorico Figured Bass font with the Figurato nothing happened ā€¦

Best,

Max

Make sure you change the ā€œFigured Bass Fontā€, not ā€œFigured Bass Text Fontā€ Style.

Hello,
Iā€™m considering to switch from Finale to Dorico and I need to type all the signs of the baroque figured bass like ā€œ+ā€ under the 7 or +6 and things like that. Is it possible ?
Thank you
FrƩdƩric

1 Like

Welcome to the forum, @Frederic_Platzer. I believe youā€™ll find Doricoā€™s support for figured bass to be pretty comprehensive. Check out this video for an introduction:

In Dorico 4, weā€™ve additionally added comprehensive support for bracketing figured bass, including bracketing individual figures, accidentals, or whole stacks.

2 Likes

Iā€™m sorry Daniel, but this leading tone notation is still expected. At least anyone who has studied in France or under Lili Boulangerā€™s teaching still need this. I submitted the request quite some time ago and no new option for this has been implemented yet.
[Edit] I checked with the Notation Option set to Follow input litterally and it does not change. We still need the ability to use the + sign as in French convention.

3 Likes

I guess you meant big sister Nadia :wink:

1 Like