"poco" marking above dynamics

New Finale Migrant here.

What is the best method for placing a “poco” marking above a dynamic?

Using the dynamics tool, “poco” appears before the dynamic and on the same line in the default. The only way I could figure out how to place it above and save some space was to create “poco” as a text or even better as a playing technique and then move it above the dynamic in Engrave mode.

ALSO, I don’t see a way to change the font size of “poco” in either the text or the playing techniques tools. Please let me know is there is a way.

Welcome to the forum @tcrist

I’m not sure that it’s possible to place “poco” above a dynamic.

In any case, you might find this thread useful:

To change the look of Playing Techniques, you will need to go to the Edit Playing Techniques dialog, select the technique, and then edit away. NB I’m not at my computer but I don’t think “poco” is listed as a playing technique.

Thanks Daniel! If there is a font size in the EDIT PLAYNG TECHNIQUES, I’m not seeing it.

I think the only way to get what I want is to put “poco” in using the text tool where I can change the text size. But then I have to manually type it in each time. As that goes against Dorico’s Standards of Design, I thought there might be a better method.

Here are the three methods I have found:

Screenshot 2024-08-28 at 4.44.08 PM

The last one is what I am after. But it is also the most cumbersome.

I knew that this was going to happen as soon as I hit “Reply”, sorry!

In the dialog you screenshot, you’ll see Playing Technique Font. This is the font that will be used by default in all Playing Techniques displayed as text.

You can either change it (and it will also automatically change in all Playing Techniques), or you can create your own similar font (e.g. italic) and select it to use instead.

To change it or create one for yourself go to Library > Edit Font Styles.

Hi @tcrist , sorry but I never seen the poco placed above the dynamic as in your examples. I would be curious to see an example in some existing scores, if you could share it here.

Thanks Christian. It’s a common marking in more modernist scores. Here is an example done both ways:

1 Like

Thanks again Daniel. I saw that but there doesn’t seem to be any prompt for font, font style, or font size. Is the font used by playing techniques configurable elsewhere?

Just follow the steps in my final paragraph about change the default font, or duplicating and editing a new one.

Does that make sense?

1 Like

It’s in here:

1 Like

Please don’t take this the wrong way, but your examples are (to my eye) examples of everything that is wrong with so-called modernist scores. Totally unnecessary overcomplication.

1 Like

Well - they may have no choice in the matter! Somebody might want it like that.

I think at the moment it’s going to have to be a text item.

I was just howling at the moon.

Got it!

OH! It’s Library: Font Styles.

I’m in Dorico 5.1. Sorry if that confused you.

That’s good to know, but I’d like to change just a few markings to be smaller. Looks like text tool is the way to go.

1 Like

No, I’m just an idiot.

If you want just a few of the Playing Techniques with smaller text, I would strongly advise you to create your own font and then use it for those techniques. It will likely make your life easier in the long run.

(Assuming that you want them to appear the same in every project!)

Thanks! I’ll keep playing around with it.

Being new I’m trying to discover the best, most economical workflow. Contrary to the criticism/advice above in other posters, I’ll be using a lot of nuance in dynamics as they are critical in communicating intent to the performer.

1 Like

@tcrist, you may sometimes get some unwanted and unasked-for opinions about your notational needs (those posters know who they are!) but please know that we in the Dorico team read every thread, even if we can’t reply in every one. Your need for a different kind of positioning for these kinds of modifiers on immediate dynamics is noted, and although I can’t promise when we might be able to implement it, please consider it officially on our radar.

1 Like

Thanks so much. That is very kind of you, dspreadbury. :slightly_smiling_face:

Also, the modifiers poco and molto should really be available somewhere to assign in other capacities as well, such as over an accent.

Seems like the text tool should have a palette like dynamics and articulations, and a place where a user can make their own markings and store them in the default to be used in other engravings.