Poject File (*.cpr) file size and delete time issue

Dear Forum,
I have two issues, not shure if they are linked together.
I have Cubase 13 Pro 13.0.41 Version. Behaviour was also with older versions.

First:
Just rearranged midi events and organized them. And copied a few midi events.
The file size is rapidly growing.
If I am copy all the midi events into a clean template I start arround the half of the file size. Is there an option or setting that tracks the changes?

Second:
When adding time, this takes a few seconds or <1 second. If I delete time, this takes forever up to 5min and Cubase freezes complete. Already set up a clean template bit it comes back again after some time and projects.

Not sure if during the time delete that takes forever the project file is growing or corupted.

Any ideas, similar problems?

Best regards,

Alain

Hi,

1. The file size grow is very often caused by a faulty plug-in, which stores unwanted data to the project. Please make sure, all your plug-ins up to date.

2. Are you on Windows or Mac, please?

Thanks Martin,
ok I will check that. I am working under Windows 11.

Best regards,

Alain

Hi,

Generate a DMP file and share it via Dropbox or a similar service, please.

Use the Microsoft ProcDump utility to generate a DMP file, please.

1. Please download ProcDump64 from Microsoft (~650kB) and extract the archive to a local folder on your hard disk.

2. Run Command Prompt (cmd) as administrator (right click and select “run as administrator”)

3. Navigate (in the Command Prompt) to the folder with the extracted procdump file.
    For example:
    cd C:\ Users \ \ Downloads \ Procdump
    Note: the dmp file will be written into that folder.

4. Launch Cubase/Nuendo. You can work as usual. At any time, change to the command prompt and start procdump, to monitor Cubase/Nuendo for unexpected behaviour (see next step).

5. Launch procdump64 via Command Prompt:
    Cubase 13:
    procdump64 -e -h -t Cubase13

Nuendo 13:
procdump64 -e -h -t Nuendo13

The -h option will write a dmp file in case of an application hang. This might kick in too early sometimes, in case some action takes a little longer. Feel free to skip the “-h” option, if you are only up for fetching crashes.
The option -e will catch exceptions and the option -t terminations of the application.

1. Prodump is now monitoring the Cubase/Nuendo process and will write a crash log, in case Cubase/Nuendo crashes or hangs. Perform the action that causes Cubase/Nuendo to crash and send us the generated crash dmp.

ZIP and share the DMP file via Dropbox or a similar service, please.

Dear Martin,
thank you for the detail proceedure for the creating the dump file.

I have created 2 dump files now.
The first one Cubase13.exe_240616_093308 catched with deleting time.
The second one Cubase13.exe_240616_102542 when saving the project file.

During deleting time, the project file growth 149Mb up to 204Mb, without adding any midi or other events. Just insert empty time a few bars then delete them again with delete time function. Cubase then is hanging for minutes.
Also the proceedure to save the project 204Mb takes a long time up to minutes, despite that I have a 10Gbit/s line to NAS storage with 500Mb/s in average.

I also uploaded the Project File for investigation

Thanks and best regards,
Alain

Hi,

All the crashes are in Kontakt 7. Do you use Beta version of NI Kontakt 7?

Hi Martin,

ok thanks for the investigation.
I use Kontakt 7 with release version 3.2.1 ( 2024-03-25).
I don’t use a beta one or so.

Best regards,

Alain

Hi,

As all crashes are in Kontakt, please get in touch with NI.

Dear Martin,
Cubase Team,

I had opened a support case by Native Instruments for the Kontakt crash. They confirmed that it is linked to a bug in the system. The bug is currently in review and fix proccess. Should be gone in the next update hopefully.

So this case can be closed.

Best regards,
Alain

1 Like