5 silly quirks about Cubase that have annoyed you for years

With Q-Link activated,

This DOESN’T work:

1. Select a mixer channel. Make sure faders are “in focus.”
  2. Shift-right arrow to select more channels.
  3. Use shortcut key ctrl-shift-up/down arrow to adjust primary parameter (volume).

This DOES work:

2. Shift-right arrow to select more channels.
  3. Use the mouse to move one of the faders a bit.
  4. Use shortcut key ctrl-shift-up/down arrow to adjust primary parameter (volume).

This DOES work (alternative):

2. Shift-click to select more channels.
  3. Use shortcut key ctrl-shift-up/down arrow to adjust primary parameter (volume).

My 5 quirks:

1. Extend a midi event, it crosses the boundary. Do you want to enlarge the part? Or continue anyway?

2. Mixer focus as @kelp said.

3. Pre-post buttons. I still can’t tell them apart, I go by color. Also, mute pre-sends when mute. If it’s a philosophical debate that keeps this from being fixed, just pull it off the preferences and throw it in the mixconsole as an option along with meters etc, so that we are forced to check it per project.

4. Quarters only M.M. Confusing.

5. Folder editing “the tracks are not in sync”… Ugh!

Bonus: Little things like the extending “Main” tab of the control room, that if you don’t sumble upon them, you are left with a wrong impression of the program. If other people were making Cubase they would plaster those features left and right in all screens “YO WE GOT DIS FITTURE”, but Cubase seems to keep silent many times, shooting itself in the foot, undermining its own image. Or offering a very low-key, en passant explanation.

I’d pay 100€ for a .5 update that tackles these, and then on the survey I’d choose “Very happy with the price”. I feel I’d had got my money’s worth. Honest.

1 Like

what is this?

9 posts were split to a new topic: Cubase only understands quarters as the beat value

Ok yes. I get it. I rarely use that feature so I didn’t know the issue. I kept racking my brain thinking what overlaps upon start-up and thought this could be trivial.

For #2, can you give a scenario where you want to create an automation lane as opposed to just clicking the W and automating whatever, and then that lane automatically appears? Assuming you have that preference checked?

About my 2/ about automation >
Actually that was how i was working > shortcut to activate Write automation > knob wiggling > automation track appear > then mouse work to actually write automation the way i wanted.

But i’ve just discovered since 10.5 ( or 10 ? ) the right click as the option "show (parameter) xxxxxx automation track " !
…but it is limited to steinberg plugs and a very few others ( fabfilter )

about scenario > lots of short fx send i draw with the mouse, some gain adjustement ( not volume fader ) between plugins… in fact i worked so long without something else than midi controler which is not precise enought, that i get use to do most automation by drawing points with the mouse… exept for orchestra controllers writing

3/ Pre-post buttons. I still can’t tell them apart
Same !!

About 1, i won’t personnaly describe this as a “quirck”, it is usefull to have this option in my workflow. i’m really in a 50/50 ratio whever i click yes or no.
the thing is, if we click no ( continue), it would be cool to have an additional option cut the notes where they exeed the boundary

5 > “the tracks are not in sync”… Ugh! same !

and 100% with you with the poor user manual / feature “show-off”

What about splitting a MIDI event and the note disappearing - does that annoy anyone like it does me?

midi

I never understood why it’s this way, is there some utility to it being this way that I don’t understand? It seems to have no practical use?

5 Likes

Funny testament to how different people use different areas of the software more but your niggles on the Poll dont bother me so much. The one LoveGames points out about cutting a midi part and losing a note that is early on the barline is more of a daily irk!

2 Likes
  1. Crappy key command focus management between main windows ever since the mixconsole was added.
  2. Any kind of crash results in lost mapping to my audio interface channels. This includes any presets I created.

Shouldn’t be the case with the crashing and audio interface channels… wonder why

have you created input/output presets that are baked into your templates?

yes, my presets are part of the templates. After a crash the labels are still there, but the audio channel assignments are gone. I’ve reported this for years.

Interesting, I’ve maybe had this happen once or twice, but not in a very long time.

Have you had different interfaces over the years and still had the problem?

I’ve had Aurora interfaces for a long time. I have a few 24 channel configurations depending on what I’m doing. So, it’s kind of PITA when it happens. I’ve had it happen with other interfaces as well though.

Have you tried making a backup of the /XMLs to just copy replace them when it does happen?

edit

and also, the connections don’t come back when you reselect the preset?

Yes, I’ve tried using backups of the xml files. And my presets remain, however the interface references/channels are gone.

Weird, macOS or Windows?

I think the only time I’ve had this happen recently, is when I accidentally opened up Cubase 10 and 10.5 at the same time.

It’s possible something maybe the OS is stealing the connections during the crash

+1 for the pre/post buttons. There has to be a better way!

1 Like

That is also really annoying yes!