Poll about the CC Automation lanes to appear over the audio and midi tracks when editing in the Timeline

Quick question- Do those who are plus-one-ing know about the Automation pref, “Show Data on Track”?

This doesn’t show the automation on the main track, you still have to see another track. Am I missing something? The main idea is to have less space invaded by automation.

1 Like

I’m asking a question, nothing else.

Ok, I thought this was the solution.

Good suggestion

+1 as option… I think…

I think Track Automation should stay where it is/how it is, but with MIDI Part CC Data… Having to always access MIDI Part CC Data in the MIDI Editor is sometimes a waste of time and not efficient.

I think this FR should differentiate between the two… Because combining them is sort of messy. This should be for Event based automation, not track automation.

Hi @sonic74,

Yes, most of us know about this Automation preference. :slight_smile:
As you can see, on the screenshot one has to open a lane below the original track, which takes vertical space of two tracks.
The Pro Tools way saves vertical space because one can keep Automation directly on the main Event.
If one needs to keep 3 Automation lanes opened all the time in Cubase it will take space for 4 tracks, while in Pro Tools only 3 tracks.
Imagine you are having 100 + tracks and most of them need multiple Automation… and you need to keep few automations per track visible… how much vertical space could be saved with such option to invoke the Automations directly over the main Event?! :wink:

Best wishes,
Thurisaz :slight_smile:

yes always wanted this, for over a decade +1

1 Like

Hi @Ben303,
Cubase and Nuendo are ones of the very few DAWs that still don’t have Pro Tools - like Event Volume Envelope, nor option to invoke Automation lane directly over the main Event.

1. The missing of Pro Tools-like Volume envelope makes the pre-fader event gain editing very uncomfortable.
  2. We can invoke Automation lanes only below the main Event, which makes Cubase and Nuendo very vertical space greedy
  • Very often we need to keep some automation lanes constantly visible.
  1. The missing of centralized powerful Tool as Beat Detective should also be integrated.
  • Currently Cubase and Nuendo are a bit chaotic in this area because there are separate instruments that can be used.

It’s not by accident that no other DAW is able to dethrone Pro Tools from it’s position of music industry standard for decades. No matter that Cubase has better MIDI editing side than Pro Tools.
Since the appearance of Dorico I became less and less interested in using Cubase as composing, arranging and orchestrating tool. I feel more comfortable using Dorico. I need Cubase only for recording, editing, mixing and mastering tool.

I really do hope that we won’t wait another decade for the integration of these important features! :slight_smile:

Best wishes,
Thurisaz

Hello @Matthias_Quellmann and others behind Cubase,
I would like to pop-up once again this feature request on your attention.
Cubase 13 needs to have the following:

1. Event Volume Envelope automation line at 0db in the middle of the event, with option to Hide/Show.

2. Option to invoke any Automation Lane over the event in order to save vertical screen space, when we need some automation to remain constantly opened.

3. A centralized powerful tool as Beat Detective, where everything related to quantization, hit point detection, event slicing (at hit point with offset percentage option), filling gaps, crossfading… etc. can be found. Currently all those features are separated and located at different places in both Cubase/Nuendo.

• These functions are available in Pro Tools a make the audio editing far more comfortable.
  • The Event Volume Envelope is available in Studio One, too…

I made this request almost 6 years ago, but still none of the requested features is in there… The requested features will vastly improve the audio editing workflow… I’m even curious why they weren’t implemented decades ago?!

Best regards,
Thurisaz :slight_smile:

Hmmm… is the middle a good place or would it make sense to have the line at, let’s say 2/3 from the bottom? The thought is that one usually attenuates more dB than when using gain. But maybe that’s just me.
To avoid misunderstanding: I strongly agree on requesting a better variant of the event based volume envelope. The current one is cumbersome and displays information poorly additionally to not allowing gain.

Hi @Johnny_Moneto,
The middle of the track event is perfectly fine. Do not forget that you are having 2 other possibilities to increase the gain on pre-fader stage.

1. You have control over the input gain needed for the recording.

2. You have an existing pre-fader gain slider, which can be used to increase, or decrease the channel volume.

• In case of multiple events within a single track a pre-fader gain automation can be applied.

After all the Event Volume Envelope is mainly used as “manual compressor”, or to make the work of the compressor smoother and unnoticeable in case of high wave amplitude differentiation. So, the middle position at 0dB is the correct one . :slight_smile:

Best wishes,
Thurisaz