POLL: Are you using 7.03?

@ D.B. Well - I do use 7.0.3. I simply use a work-around for the mixer resizing problem.

For older projects where at loading in the mixer is completely “out of range” (too tall, parts not showing) I simply activate/de-actvate the control room/meter strip, and everything re-sizes to normal proportions. Note - I only have to do that once, and only with some older projects. After saving the (now updated) project as C7 project, I can load the project without any problem.

For the problem with widening/narrowing strips every time the mixer window is opened (using F3) I also use a work-around. I just do not use the maximized window, but drag the top-left of the window to the top-left of the screen, and the bottom-right of the window to the right and the desired height. After that I just only use F3 to close/open the window and all strip- resizing is gone.

I admit I do not use multipe monitors (just one big one) , so I cannot say anything about that. And for your information: I use Windows 7 on a i3-540, 8Gb and a 8400GS video card, and everything is working smooth enough for my purposes. For me those work-arounds do their job (although it would be better if you should not have to use them of course).

So - as you can see, not everybody has that big hurdles to overcome. Oh - and I admit I do not use Cubase 7 very intensely, because it is only used for my, and several of my friends, projects. I do use it about 2 to 6 hours on a daily base, but I am glad I do not (longer) work under heavy time pressure.

I guess there are more people like me, so it is not too far-fetched to say that the number of 7.0.3 users presented here is not that strange.

This is exactly the reason why I went back to 7.02. Everything else would be manageable, but this bug was keeping me from working.

I use 7.03 and would never go back. The mixer issuer must not be the same for everyone. I tested one day after all
The chatter. I hit F3 five time before I noticed anything and even then the resizing was barely noticeable . This is hardly a show stopper for me and my customers sit right behind me. Be clear that I’m saying its different for different users and I no intention of defending the mixer to those who are upset

Haven’t noticed the mixer channel resize bug yet, it’s such an easy fix that it’s not a major problem in my case. 7.0.2 and 7.0.3 were both major improvements, with far fewer crashes and mixer bugs. Before 7.0.2, I was having to launch v5 a few times cause v7 was unbearably jittery and crash happy, but all in all the current version is perfectly usable and as stable as can be expected being that it was just released a few months ago.

Can’t wait to see what the next update has in store.

Still 6.5.4 for client’s projects.

Have explored 7.03 as well for my own stuff and slowly start to like some of the new features - while missing some that are gone but hopefully re-implemented soon (… please!). The greatest pain = anything that makes 7 slower than 6, clicking orgies to get simple stuff done etc. Some bugs are annyoing of course.

Mixer resizing is no problem here. I simply don’t close it, it’s right there on my second monitor.

Thanks! I try to be as balanced as possible whenever I can.

BTW, I do agree with most of what you’ve said, especially the part about your expectations for the new mixer. I too thought it only needed minor tweaks added to the Cubase 6 mixer, but not an entire rewrite. Yet, at the same time, I also like some of the changes made to the new mixer. With a bit of work, it could be really awesome. Hopefully, we don’t have to wait until Cubase 8 to see it at it’s perfected form. Maybe by Cubase 7.5? I guess we’ll find out eventually.

The resizing bug doesn’t affect me as much as others since I dedicate a second monitor to it. Still, it gets annoying when it happens, so I’m glad it will get fixed in the next update. Can’t wait to get Cubase 7.0.4.

I don’t know if my vote really counts. I started a project in the demo which is 7.0.2, so after 3 week of working daily with the product for several hours a day, I decided to buy the product I downloaded the 7.0.2 update instead of the 7.0.3 update just to keep things consistent. I don’t update in the middle of a project. So I voted “rolled back to 7.0.2.” There should have been one other choice. “I stayed at 7.0.2.”

Well, the poll was supposed to be an evaluation of 7.03 and not pure stats on who’s using which version. To have an option for people who haven’t even tried 7.03 would not make much sense.

Anyways. The result seems to be something like:

74% of the users who installed 7.03 are using it without major problems.
26% of the users who installed 7.03 stopped using it because they experienced major problems.

This tells us… huh… dunno.

i dipped my toes in and now i’m back on 6.07…

the bug that stops me being able to use 7.03 is that projects that I have made in 6.07, when opened in 7.03, the audio, when processed becomes destructively processed (there is no offline process history). This didn’t happen in 7.02, but then that version wasn’t usable because of video issues…

one day… one day a usable version 7 for me!

Same here. I use two 22" monitors all the time, for everything, and have done for ages. Couldn’t imagine working with only one monitor now, especially since small/medium size monitors are so cheap now.

Not that that excuses the resizing issue.

2 :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: holy shite I couldn’t imagine working with just 2

+1
{‘-’}

It is interesting to note that 74% (as of now) are using 7.03. The impression a casual observer reading this forum might get is that Cubase 7 is unusable due to bugs where as in actuality there are a lot of us using it just fine

You’re right, more is usually better. But I’m a bit restricted space-wise here. I could fix up a shelf above the two I have but that might interfere with my bass traps arrangement, or I could bolt one to the wall, which means drilling holes and making a mess, and generally just a pain-in-the-A55. Then again, I could build or buy some sort of frame perhaps :ugeek:

On balance I reckon two is good, but only one… nah!

2 is the very least I must admit but it is handy having that third screen just full of plugin’s constantly open.

Considering that there are 22435 members the posters are just a fraction of the real figure so there are a lot of happy people that don’t feel the need to post issues :wink:

curteye wrote:
DaDa wrote:
Hmmm I would really like to know, who of those 45+ 7.0.3 users, make a living with the product. )

There’s nothing wrong with you wanting to know this information.

On the other hand, it really shouldn’t matter. We all pay good money to have a working, functional product. While I don’t “make a living” with the product, my time is just as valuable as yours (who knows, maybe even more valuable!) so time spent working around bugs or missing features means just as much to me as it does to you.

I do feel your pain if you are having trouble (I am having trouble too). Just saying I don’t think you are more important than others.

Cheers,
Mike

This is a bit weird as I feel like the guy stuck in the kitchen at a party with all the action happening elsewhere. I am happy with 7.0.3.
Cubase 6.5 froze with me nearly every time I used it. Luckily, if I was quick I could save, if not I had to use the task manager, then re-boot the computer, as I often could not re-load the project unless I did so. I tried a whole load of remedies that did not work.
Cubase 7.0.3 works fine. It does not freeze and does not crash. The issues with the mixer don’t seem to affect me either. I have got back to making music.
I will be a little wary of moving up to 7.0.4 until others have reported back.
I can understand how people feel as I felt the same with 6.5. However, I can’t understand this disparity of experience between users.

1-And how many pollsters are really lying.
(I was taught to always BS on polls because this screws with ‘The Man’)
2-Have 4 users really stopped using Cubase?
3-What are they now using?
4-Have they totally given up on music making?
5-And how do I make my vox do that? :slight_smile:

Ah! polling. gotta luv it; :slight_smile:
[‘-’}

Curteye, you have a great talent for the alternative view. I for one really appreciate that

My 3rd monitor is now reserved for the mixer only but even though I am sure I’m not pushing as hard as some, I do not see the troubles on the mixers other have brought up.

My biggest trouble in the last several weeks is the message that " Internet Explorer has stopped working". But that’s not for the forum discussion

Sorry Mike, didn’t want to step on anyones toes !
You missed the point a bit, though.

I’m just trying to make the poll result more clear.
I asked the question to draw the attention to the fact, that there are different user profiles.
Obviously, ‘pro’ users are an ever ‘growing’ minority.
If You read around the forum, You can easily see :
the few remaining, still have pretty high demands on Cubase (our everyday working tool).
Thus we stay with Cubase 6.5.
Other user profiles are much more forgiving, relaxed, take broken software as todays standard
or are simply not affected by the current issues, as they don’t touch the broken parts.

These are the majority and thus the poll result makes sens.
( I will still subtract about 25 Steinberg employee votes :wink: )

Now … what does this tell us ?
+/- Steinberg can keep on releasing early betas and will keep on earning money, nevertheless.
+/- Steinberg can keep on enhancing the workslow and take away features and will survive, nevertheless.

• Us more demanding users will have to keep on paying for these test versions and report issues,
    if we want to make sure, we’ll have a usable version at some point.
  • We will have to spend time, constantly monitoring the competition.
  • We may be forced to learn a new DAW inside out ( which is quite a big undertaking ).
  • Fixes for ‘minority’ issues can be postponed or can as well be ignored.

All in all a ‘slightly’ negative outlook … but currently still the best working tool, available !
:sunglasses: ( at least for my user profile )

Jan