[POLL] FAO: people annoyed about 8 inserts limitation

In my experience a well constructed index is vastly superior to a general search. I will use the search function of, say, a Windows help file or a PDF document if that’s all I’ve got to work with. But it frequently brings back way too many hits to efficiently find what I’m looking for. With a good index, I can often find what I’m after the very first time. But I suspect there’s an art to writing a good index and a lot of writers of documentation don’t know that art unfortunately.

Anyway, I’ll shut up about this now - we’ve gotten way off topic - sorry about that.

8 inserts is usually doable for me, but others might need more. The biggest issue with Cubase is that you only have 6 pre-fader inserts, which is a major problem compared to other DAWs. If you could simply switch the two post-fader inserts to pre-fader (individually, as needed), that would be such a giant very common-sense improvement.

[quoteThe biggest issue with Cubase is that you only have 6 pre-fader inserts, which is a major problem compared to other DAWs. If you could simply switch the two post-fader inserts to pre-fader (individually, as needed), that would be such a giant very common-sense improvement.][/quote]

Totaly agree… :sunglasses:

There are very few real-world instances for me in which I would want post-fader inserts – I never understood why a Cubendo user is forced to sacrifice two out of eight for that with no option otherwise; there’s no flexible real-world logic to that decision by Steinberg.

Yes, yes and yes - the 6+2 is the big problem. Reserved two slots for post fader.

Samplitude has a nice solution in an editor for inserts - and you just move up/down where you possibly want post fader stuff.
The fader is grayed part, and your own inserts normal text. Just move fader part so you at least can use all slots for pre if you want, or any way you like. So a simple list if your inserts, and one slot where fader is - and move it to liking.

Also like Digital Performer where you set how many inserts you want to use. Set to 20 if you want.

To extend slot range I use DDMF Metaplugin or BluecatAudio Patchwork. Very handy plugins for many things.

Cubase 9.5 just released:

16 slots it is!

Cheers!

problem solved! next! (wondering who will be the one starting a new topic “16 isn’t enough” ) :mrgreen:

Hear, hear! Very pleased at this. This, plus a couple of other features that have been requested for ages, makes 9.5 first upgrade in a while that I want immediately and will not wait until a summer sale to acquire. Thank you, Steinberg, for listening to your user base this time around.