POLL: Is C6 hanging on exit for you?

My 6.02 crashed on exit, upgraded to 6.05 and it stopped. Now I’ve upgraded to 6.5, and it crashes on exit again. I can save my work and haven’t lost anything, so no drama there, but it’s slightly annoying nonetheless.

6.02 worked perfectly and never hung up. With version 6.03, I almost always had to force quit, so I reverted to 6.02. So, now I’ve upgraded to 6.5 and am back to having to force quit most of the time. I can’t figure out any pattern, except that it seems to hang up after a project has been open for quite a while. If I open a project briefly, make a few edits, and then close it, everything works fine. However, if a leave a project open, which is usually the case, and come back to it later, I have to use force quit to close it. Has anyone been able to figure out what the conflict is? Help.

The recommendations by the support team turned out to be a disaster. After trashing my preferences Cubase crashed right from the start. Now I realised that I can’t move the handles of the DJ-EQ with my mouse as being described here. All I can do is change the values.
The same applies to the MorphFilter. Though I can move the handle in the inside area, I am not able to move the silver knobs, just change the values.

Anybody else having this problem?

Best wishes

Joan

mine has been hanging on exit EVERY TIME since I think second update into c6.

without a doubt, it comes up not responding EVERY time i close cubase.

bizzare, yes?

6.5 crashes on exit for me every time.

xp pro 32 bit
4GB DDR2
intel quad core
intel mobo

On Windows, there should be a file called CUBASE.LOG created in %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Steinberg\CrashDumps, however I haven’t seen any created since 6.0.4 even though crashes have happened.

I’m using the Waves Gold Bundle.

I just recently began having a hanging issue in projects with BFD Eco 64bit. Posted this in another thread…maybe it can be of help:

Just to update here: I tested all last night and this morning. Fresh Cubase install, Eco install, registry cleaning and all sorts of other things.

Microsoft Runtime C++ 2005 Redistributable version 8.0.56336

It was installed with the m-audio usb/midi driver for my controller. I tried uninstalling the m-audio driver and the Cubase project did not hang. Tried to reinstall the driver, but it would not reinstall without this version of C++. Got it installed and project hangs again. So:

(1) Removed just the driver, leaving the C++ version there = Project hangs
(2) Reinstalled driver, uninstalled the C++ version = Project closes properly

So as far as the project hanging, for whatever reason, Eco + Cubase 6 + this version of C++ cannot coexist. What I don’t understand is that Eco would not hang every project it was instantiated in. Only 75% of them…

Also, I’m not sure that this explains why Eco would not pass the initial Cubase vst scan and gets blacklisted. In any case, looks like I’m back in business…

As told, since 6.5 I am having the hanging on exit problem again on some projects.

I’ve found out that the problem (for me) must be plugin releated but the plugin itself is not problem.

For example in one project there is an instance of Massive as the 1st vst-instrument with 5 other instruments as vst-instrument, but Massive is the plugin which is have having the problem and prevents cubase from shutting down correctly (Every other instruments I can remove from vst-instruments, but if I remove massive the project and cubase his hanging). So I thought massive must be the problem - deleted the dll so that cubase can’t load the plugin and massive is marked as not found in vst. If Massive itself is the problem it should be no problem the remove that vst-instrument, but even if massive is not loaded the project and cubase is hanging if I want to remove that 1st vst-instrument.
Any ideas how to solve this?

I’ve been toying a little with C6.5 64 but it is too unpredictable, too fragile to use.
It crashes for no obvious reasons and sometimes I have to CTRL+Esc it to get it to exit, and then restart it.
I’ve not seen any clear repeatable patterns but I don’t want to trust it too much.

I just keep using C6.5 32 for the time being :sunglasses:

[edit]

I should probably adjust my radar a little …
then it would have detected that I mainly used 32bit plugins.
so the jury is still out.
later after some projects I’ll try again with 64/64

I’ve been using Cubase 6 x64 (didn’t even install the 32-bit version) since its release and the main thing I think is essential is to delete (“trash”) the preferences folder on each upgrade. I think this forces a re-scan of all VSTs and perhaps with each new version, the handling, particularly of 32-bit VSTs in a 64-bit host, is improving – I don’t know, it just seems that way.

A recent update to HALion 4 has removed one source of crashes on 64-bit systems, however that might be a bit off-topic as this is about Cubase hanging (as opposed to crashing) on exit. I found two utilities which may offer some clues, BlueScreenView and WhoCrashed, and have enabled crash dumps, but of course, since then, my system has been rock solid … :unamused: (or maybe: :smiley: ).

My specific use case is very simple though, I have about 5 third-party VSTis, all but one of which are 64-bit, I don’t work with video (much) or have an exotic setup. If I try out a VST, when I’m done with testing I remove it … I’ve seen people with 100’s of VSTs, most of which they tried once, but never use … and unless I really, really want or need a particular VST, if it doesn’t come in a 64-bit version, I move on.

I still have a feeling the problem has something to do with closing ASIO or MIDI devices, and this is why the symptoms are so varied, because everyone has a different audio/MIDI interface. It may be compounded by the fact that some VSTis have MIDI inputs and outputs, but that’s just my gut feeling.

You could be on to something here, well spotted! I have no less than five versions of this thing installed, and I don’t know any way to determine whether it’s safe to uninstall (via Control Panel) any of them. This is a complete Microsoft mess.

I dont think the log file gets created if Cubase freezes completely (since its not able to save the log anymore), only when Cubase is aware that something went wrong.

Just a recap: 333 posts here and STILL no single reaction from Steinberg?!?!?! SHAME ON YOU!!! :angry:

this is normal, as explained here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproappcompat/thread/e55213da-c158-4d6f-9977-d56ac2a848fc

I think Steinberg doesnt care cause they know this is not a single problem, its more dependent on various configurations we all have. In their test labs everything probably runs well.

This is why it would at least be useful if they gave us a way of finding out what’s causing the problem…to see what Cubase is doing on shutdown. like:

unloading Halion sonic
unloading Battery
unloading Kontakt (freeze)…AHA!!!

Nonsense. On page 1 there already is one, and page 9, maybe more. But probably you weren’t interested in facts but needed to shout in frustration. Hope it helped.

cubase crashes on exit for me,even if i just start cubase and dont load any projects. just shut down after startup,and i get the crash. in last 2 updates .0.6 and .0.7 64bit windows.

Not very helpful responses, unfortunately. We’re supposed to deactivate all VSTs before closing a project? Other sequencers don’t have this problem. Seems like a Cubase issue to me.

Hello
I’ve many crashes on audio mixdown not on exit
Ganax