POLL: Is C6 hanging on exit for you?

I submitted a support ticket, but the rep hadn’t heard about this issue. I haven’t heard back since imploring the rep to push this issue with Steinberg development.

It’s been there for 3 versions as far as I know. I recall seeing it in Nuendo 4, and another user here says it’s been in 3 versions of Cubase now (since v4).

My educated guess is that Steinberg hasn’t looked into this bug and won’t until some “lucky” customer figures out a perfect reproducible scenario (which likely doesn’t exist), or figures out how to hack the code, fix it, and sends the fix to Steinberg development to recompile.

I’ve never seen a company so reluctant to address stability issues in all my years in this industry.

Gee, that’s funny. A rep here in the US told me some time ago that this issue was fixed w v6. I think we all know it isn’t, but the fact that the rep said it was, means that he was aware of it.

Where are you located, and which support team did you use?

US - tech support via the support request form. Was this a field rep or tech support?

I doubt tech support and field reps would necessarily have the same info. In my experience,
tech support is often almost as much in the dark as customers are.

I know a field rep I might contact though. No idea if it will do any good, but worth a shot.

Hmmm - what’s the difference between a field rep and tech support?

seems like anyone above first level support doesnt really give a crap in Steinberg.

I opened a ticket for another issue a while back, and while the first level support were responsive after the problem was escalated cause the issues was more to do with the code I didnt hear from anyone. after a while I asked for an update and first level got back to me, but suggesting just basic things to try which already didnt help before.

Nice US tech support discussion, wrong place for it.

yes, sorry about that. though I’m not quite sure what the purpose of this thread is. I think its been established that there isnt a single problem which causes Cubase to hang on exit.

based on the fixes people post it seems like in most cases its related to external factors, like Silverlight or drivers (which would most likely cause blue screens).

also based on the poll almost half of the users have no issues. maybe the fix is more fundamental in how Cubase reacts when it encounters “unusual” situations. which might require major changes in its design, something other software might already have implemented. though I’m not a programmer so I’m just guessing.

anyways, for me things have been stable for a while. hope that doesnt change. lol

Disagree. Nothing at all wrong with what has been said here.

I strongly disagree as well.

Let’s all disagree a bit more and get this topic to page 16! And then moan on a bit about this thread not being picked up by Steinberg support… :laughing:

I agree :sunglasses:

I am using 32bit 6.5 with the latest patch installed.

Had the problem using Cubase 6 and currently suffer the problem on occasion. It isn’t a consistent issue and seems to happen without any sort of pattern. Even when working in audio only (i.e. recording) it still doesn’t like to shut down properly.

It’s pretty irratating really. I’ve just moved across from the extremly stable Cubase 4 and now seem to be stuck with this niggling problem!

its weird how software reacts to sometimes seemingly unrelated things.

I had a problem with NI’s Battery 3. whenever I opened the program and clicked on the browser tab for the first time, it took about 3 to 5 minutes to finally show the contents while program became unresponsive. I tried various settings, even checked the registry. one day I decided to remove a pci controller card which had two DVD drives connected to it and now the tab in Battery opens in ~10 seconds. this happened even if I didnt have any DVD’s in the drives…

also I think I’ve noticed if I leave my USB webcam connected sometimes Cubase will stop when opening.

for anyone having shutdown problems, it might be worth trying different hardware/software configuration.

Is anyone willing to share their .crash files from Mac OS? Mine always seem to start the same:

Process:         Cubase 6 [25828]
Path:            /Applications/Cubase 6.app/Contents/MacOS/Cubase 6
Identifier:      com.steinberg.cubase
Version:         6.0.5.357 (6.0.5.357)
Code Type:       X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:  launchd [363]

Date/Time:       2012-05-13 22:59:03.226 -0500
OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.7.3 (11D50)
Report Version:  9

Crashed Thread:  0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: 0x000000000000000d, 0x0000000000000000

And in thread 0, the last step in the backtrace before crash is com.steinberg.videoengine. Anyone else seeing this?

Someone had posted in another thread that after analizing why Cubase wouldn’t quit he saw that it was stuck in a loop trying to write to something. Can’t recall the specifics you have to do a search.

Just updated to 6.5. Updated Windows 7 (64 bit, using Cubase 32 bit) Tried every compatibility mode. STill hanging on exit. I am very tired of this. Log:

Log Name: Application
Source: Windows Error Reporting
Date: 15/05/2012 10:30:58 AM
Event ID: 1001
Task Category: None
Level: Information
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: xxxxxxx
Description:
Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: PCA2
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Cubase6.exe
P2: 6.5.1.117
P3: Cubase 6
P4: Cubase 6 for Windows
P5: Steinberg Media Technologies
P6: 200
P7: -1
P8:
P9:
P10:

Attached files:

These files may be available here:
C:\Users\pk\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\NonCritical_Cubase6.exe_d4a0f6c242bb798b8eb79ddb8c359ec5217a6eb_0fc846a0

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 3d52c9cc-9e25-11e1-a97e-00241d7d238e
Report Status: 4
Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application
xxxxxxxx

PCA2
Not available
Cubase6.exe
Cubase 6
Cubase 6 for Windows
Steinberg Media Technologies

C:\Users\pk\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\NonCritical_Cubase6.exe_d4a0f6c242bb798b8eb79ddb8c359ec5217a6eb_0fc846a0
3d52c9cc-9e25-11e1-a97e-00241d7d238e

My issue is as follows.

Cubase 6.5.164bit with instance of BFD2.3.0.38 64bit hanging on close of project or exit program when project open.

Test Procedures

Test 1 :
Open cubase
Create empty project
Insert Instrument Track with BFD2 as Instrument
Close Project
= Hang

Test 2 :
Open cubase
Create empty project
Remove BFD2 from the instrument track ie. go over to the inspector and change it to no device in the instrument track
Close Project
= No Problem

Test 3 :
Open cubase
Create empty project
Close Cubase with project still open
= Hang

Test 4 :
Open cubase
Create empty project
Remove BFD2 from the instrument track ie. go over to the inspector and change it to no device in the instrument track
Close Cubase with project still open
= No Problem

Any ideas for me would be appreciated

Thanks

Greg

Seems to have been solved with the renaming of the videoengine.dll file

cheers

This issue has nothing to do with the videoengine.dll file.

Cheers.

Beg to disagree Jeff,

My issue was directly related to it…

I am a tech support person here in Brisbane Australia and I could replicate the hang 100% of the time…

As soon as I renamed the videoengine.dll file the hangs are now gone…

So your issue may not be related and I can’t explain why the videoengine.dll file was related all I can say is it was…

BFD2 and Cubase 6.5.1 64bit are 100% stable and no more hangs…