POLL: Is C6 hanging on exit for you?

have you tried contacting BFD2’s support?

For me, the Alpha Track was definitely the culprit. Haven’t had any issues with Cubase every since I removed it from my setup. I was using the AT’s 64 bit drivers in Cubase 6.0.5 64 bit at that point in time. I just finished working on a short movie project this week, so I do use a lot of VSTi’s. Not sure if any of this makes any difference, but now Cubase is rock solid and I love it!

Niiice! :sunglasses:

There should be some place to add stuff to a list where all possible error causes can be compiled, no matter what you might think of how silly they may seem. Then when disaster strikes you have at least that list to check error against? Who would dream of all the strange solutions people have dragged in here, but if they work they work … that’s good enough?

just to let you know:

I had Cubase crashing on exit, no matter of a project being loaded or not. Cubase allways crashed on exit.

Just this morning I noticed in the splash on Cubase launch that cubase initializes VST3 plugins. Never noticed this before. Cubase does not initialize VST2.x plugins on launch, but it does initzialize VST3 plugins on startup, whatever that means.

Now, I am an automap user and I have every plugin automapped, be it VST2.x or VST3.

After I noticed that cubase initializes VST3 plugins on launch, I unwrapped all VST3 plugins in automaps software setup, launched Cubase, exited Cubase, and Cubase did NOT crash on exit anymore!

I installed automap 4.4b1 some days ago. As mentioned in the beta release notes, plugins need to be rewrapped again, as it was the case with some other automap releases. I usually do so, but constantly forget to do so with VST3 plugins as well as with VST2.x plugins…

I rewrapped the VST3 plugins with the latest 4.4b1, launched cubase, exited cubase and Cubase did NOT crash on exit.

So, for now, Cubase is exiting fine, finally!

how do i rewarap the plugins? do i go to “software setup” and the setup cubase6?

automap → software setup

left bottom you see the plugin types: VST2, VST3, RTAS etc…

clicking on a type reveals a list of plugins of that type.

mark all (-A) and uncheck any checked plugin → unwraps all wrapped plugins
mark all and check any unchecked plugin → wraps all unwrapped plugins

wrapping means that automap creates a new plugin, which basically is a copy of a so called “automap client” file, which might get updated on new automap releases. So, with a new automap release, sometimes these clients get updated, too, which makes it necessary to “rewrap” the plugins, which is usually stated within the release notes.

ok thanks.ill try that.

ok,done that,and cubase still not closing!

not cubase related,but maybe u know. why does some vstis not appear in the list to be wrapped?

Automap and plugin wrapping have nothing (directly) to do with the hanging on exit issue. Most likely, this worked for the other poster because it changed how quickly Cubase was releasing his Novation USB controller and just happened to be enough to prevent the hanging issue most of the time, or at least that one time. It also may not solve it for every exit.

I would almost bet that if you uninstalled and disconnected every USB midi device, Cubase will shut down everytime. Of course, it would be useless for most of people, but it would probably shut down without fail.

Automap and plugin wrapping have nothing (directly) to do with the hanging on exit issue

not necessarily.

But you have to distinguish between wrapping VST2 and VST3 plugins: VST2 plugins are not, but every VST3 plugin IS “initialized” on Cubase launch. So, initializing means, the VST3 plugin is loaded (and initialized, whatever that means; I guess it’s similar to the “scan” of VST2 plugins, to get VSTID, name, categories and such), and has to be “finalized” and unloaded upon exit. So there might be code of the VST3 plugin called upon exit, which might lead to a crash… And a new VST3 Automap Client wrapper release CAN fix this crash situation.

which it did for me, it seems, up to now.

Of course, a new automap software release can also better MIDI device release time and such. But I worked with 4.4b1 for some days now, including Cubase crashing on exit. Only after using the new VST3 automap clients by rewrapping my VST3 plugs did fix the crash on exit, at least for me.

I did try to find the culprit in the past, by trashing prefs, unplugging every USB device, uninstalling virtual MIDI ports and such, and reinstalling everything step by step. And I could not find a solution.

not closing, or crashing on exit…?

which automap version?
which “plugin organization”? (scan folders, subfolders, platforms x32/x64 etc…)
which plugs don’t show?

here, (nearly) everything works as expected with 4.4b1, finally, after lots of bugs before…

Crashing on exit is a different issue. I stand by my assertion that the hang issue is caused by some problem in Cubase’s exit routine. Other factors might improve or degrade how well it works but those are circumstances, not causes.

I guess a distinction should be made between hanging on project exit and hanging on cubase exit.

if it hangs when closing the project first then its most likely a plugin. if it hangs when closing cubase (without any project being open) then its most likely something with a device driver.

I’ve posted on the FXpansion forums about this and it seems the issue with BFD is affecting nuendo 5.5 users in exactly the same way.

MC

The support rep I reported this to says is now investigating the hang on exit but no word on a fix.

I would advise users to do what I’ve been doing - close the project (ctrl-w), wait until Cubase has closed all channels etc (obvious as you can see it doing so). Then wait a few seconds before closing Cubase and use the “x” instead of ctrl-q. May not matter after waiting, but it works consistently in avoiding a hangup and did with Nuendo as well.

I had the same problem on my machine; C6 was hanging every time on exit. But it seems I solved it today. The eLicenser was put into USB 3.0/2.0/1.1 port on my PC. After I put it into USB 2.0/1.1 port, there is no problem at all. C6 starts and shuts down again and again.

I have this problem when I have Virtual Guitarist 2 (version 2.0.0.422) installed. Both in 32-bit and 64-bit modes. After I removed the Virtual Guitarist 2 from my VST folder the Cubase 6.5 is spinning beautifully.

I only had the VG2 installed on my Mac.

Of course not so good that I can’t use the Virtual Guitarist 2…

For automap users the betadriver 4.41b is improved in wrapping vst3 and never had a crash on exit after installing.

Greetz Bassbase

Just thought you guys would like to know, I opened an official support ticket. It was closed immediately saying this is a known issue. For me personally, I’m on Mac OS, 64-bit, and the “videoengine” is the cause of my crashes.