POLL: Is C6 hanging on exit for you?

Then you have a problem somewhere. On your Vista32 machine, when you are booted into Windows, and you press (or press and hold) the power button, if the computer just shuts off as if you had pulled the power cable, there is a problem. Or does it immediately go into shut off mode, and take 2-3 seconds to shut off?
What is supposed to happen when you press (or press and hold) the power button, is the computer should immediately go into shut off mode, display a “shutting down” screen (or something similiar, depending on the OS version), and then physically shut off about 2-3 seconds after that. That is not the same thing as what dirkpiano wrote, when he said, “when you press&hold the power button for 5 seconds, a PC shuts down immediately, just like pulling the AC cable.” Again, if that happens, there is a problem somwehere.

Cheers.

No, apparently it is you who have a problem.
You said “In 100% incorrect”, I say: hundreds cases, dozens computers = always correct.
As I said it is ATX feature and AFAIK it cannot be disabled in any way - not even in BIOS.
Again, pressing the power button OR pressing & holding it are 2 completely different things - this first you can manage by BIOS / Windows, the second you cannot manage at all. If you set (in Windows) Power button behaviour to “Do nothing”, even then if you press & hold it for several seconds (contrary to just press & release, which in this case does indeed “nothing”), the computer will shut down immediately (e.g. no SW “shut down mode”) just like if you would unplug the power cable the hard way.

To try & get this thread away from power button squabbles & back on topic. :wink:

My C6 was originally crashing on exit 100% of the time…it turned out that removing Frontier Alphatrack driver lessened if not completely stopped the problem.

However I chose to live with the crash & use Alphatrack anyway & bizzarely my crashes are much less frequent now…maybe just 5%.

Steinberg please note that the frequency is not dropping any further so unfortunately it’s not likely to completely fix itself given more time :frowning:

As others have posted…I can’t spot any pattern to when it happens.

holding the power button in is the same as pulling the plug, it’s the same on all my computers including laptops and a netbook.

Agreed.

Same view here - always been like this as far as I recall. And I 100% don’t agree with Jeff Hayat that this means I have a problem ‘elsewhere’.

(Apologies to Grim and others - please, back to your topic; sorry, sorry…)

Ah, ok - Apologies - I stand corrected. Well, partially.

Under Ctrl Panel > Choose What The Power buttons Do > When I Press The Power Button

If you have ‘Shut Down’ selected, then you should see the the “Logging Off” or “Shutting Down” or or some other similiar log off screen; the computer should not just shut down immediately - if it does, you have a problem.

If you have ‘Do Nothing’ selected, simply pressing the power button does nothing; pressing and holding it for about 5 sec. shuts the computer down, and in this case, you should not see the Windows log off screen; the computer should shut down as if you yanked the power cable.

Clear?

Ok, now back on topic…

In my capacity as grand master of nothing I officially declare this thread to be free from discussions of what your power button does or doesn’t do from this moment forward.

PLEASE.

To me - all the time :ugeek:
[this was the last one, I swear]

BFD2 through JBridge fixes my hang FYI

I also installed the JBridge and put in it all my 32bit plugins and it solved the problem!
No more hanging on exit and no more crashes and even my Waves plugins (NPP bundle)
recognized by my Cubase 6 64bit - and work fine!
Seems the built in VstBridge is not doing his job…

I’m the OP and have been using jBridge from the start. I don’t always crash/hang on exit. But I do occasionally and it’s nor VSTbridge-related.

Well this does not explain why 32-bit version of Cubase is hanging as well, does it…

I’m using Waves SSL Stereo Channel, V Comp, VEQ4, Chris Lord Stereo Channel, Q10, L316, PSP Max pressure, Ozone 4 & BBE Sonic Maximizer. Cubase 6 hangs after exporting audio files and if I take a break for more than 20 minutes it hangs all requiring reboot.

If Cubase is hanging after audio export and not exit, you should post a new topic with BUG: at the beginning of the subject line. That sounds serious, but maybe unrelated.

Don’t forget that the 32bit version is inside Windows 64bit…the JBridge can also bridge 32 to 32, as written in J’s page: "Using inter-process communication mechanisms, it aims to make it possible to run 32bit plugins in 64bit hosts, 64bit plugins in 32bit hosts, or even bridging 32bit plugins to 32bit hosts, allowing to overcome the memory limitations of a single 32bit process"

So maybe installing JBridge also in Cubase 32 will solve the problem of 32…?

That is correct - it does not.

It also does not explain why Cubase hangs on exit when no plugs are used.

Let’s forget for a second about Cubase hanging with no plugs…

If that were true, that would mean that a 3rd party app is required for Cubase to run and shut down properly 100% of the time. Think about that.

Ok, here’s an example:

http://www.jeffreyhayat.com/C5Hang.mp4

Note that Cubase was using only about 201MB when it quit. This project was audio only - several tracks of 48/24, there were no plugs, no VSTs. This vid was started right after the project GUI closed, when I realized that Cubase was not going to quit. As you can see, a force quit via the TM closes the shell GUI (I think that’s what it’s called, no?) but that there are threads still running. Also still running - even after a force quit of Cubase5.exe - is the vid engine, the elicenser, and the VSTBridge. Those can be force quit, but not the app. Note that it took over five min, for the app to quit (on it’s own).

Cheers.

bump

C6 hangs when I quit the program. Vista HP, Intel, upgrade from C5. Fault is in Cubase.exe module, says the popup. Any solutions from Steinberg yet? :question: