[POLL] "New Features" philosophy by Steinberg

Having tested,I can tell you the answer. The testers -do- complain; often vociferously. SB releases the software according to certain ship dates and with certain feature sets over which testers have no control.

Most of the time this is OK. In my experience, there hasn’t been a really terrible .0 release since SX3 and I think SB -has- learned from that bad experience. (BTW: that was about the time the company stopped communicating with users.)

But when a .0 release causes ‘How was this shipped?’ heartburn, don’t blame the b-testers. They do know. But although they are present on this here forum, they are not allowed to pre-warn users.

But when a .0 release causes ‘How was this shipped?’ heartburn, don’t blame the b-testers. They do know. But although they are present on this here forum, they are not allowed to pre-warn users.

It’s those pesky NDA’s.

Polls mean more if votes are based on individual opinion. Party democracy makes for a lumpy soup.

Hooray!

Though these claims may be true, what is the connection to the poll? My vote is my own, even with “no idea”. :wink:

The pope claims to be the voice of morality, from an invisible entity no one can possibly understand. His institution has a large number of individuals, of authority, committing immoral crimes and many getting away with it. He also confirms that he takes the situation very seriously. :unamused:

I am pretty confident that such lists would have been easier to derive from this forum many times over, for years.

Again, I see little relevance in regards to the poll.

As for the “constant updates … each year compared to”, yeah well, this used to be the case with Steinberg, not so much anymore. E.g. I’ve used BitWig (since July) and had more updates in that time than C8 in it’s entire year.

Consider the OP’s questions and how you would like to cast your vote accordingly.

I’ve voted with yes, as I consider that 8.5 is just a minor update for just 49,- bucks. Several improvements in this version are requested by users.

Here are just a few examples:

• cycle color indicates an active cycle
  • drawing an automation point automatically activates the read button
  • punch in cycle independent from play cycle!!!
  • import tracks from other projects
  • send pre/post button in mix console
  • create several effect channels at once
  • save and export preference profiles
  • zplane elastique algorithm V3
  • switch off hover buttons for inserts and sends
  • insert group tracks on individual positions
  • name effect channels in creation dialog
  • fold notes without data in drum editor
  • improvement of drag and drop and creating new tracks from media bay

If you take a look at the amount of feature requests in this forum, you will realize that it is only possible to implement just a small percentage of this requests. So I think 27% votes for “yes” is not to bad.

I voted No, and I actually reckon that any self respecting business should take their forum with a pinch of salt because (IMHO) it really only represents a minority of users, usually those who have problems.

Even voting No, I still believe they read most of the posts and compile their list of tasks from our suggestions but then they have to consider the business of selling software and making money so they probably largely (IMHO!) disregard our suggestions to achieve that.

I also think we can definitely sway them with our force of numbers, which we have done in this case!

Anyway, I’d just like to say that I’m here for altruistic reasons, I rarely complain about the software not working, I like to help people and this is a great place to pick up tips :slight_smile: I wouldn’t be where I am in the music industry without companies like Steinberg giving me fantastic new features to help me make good music cheaply, so, good job I say.

Mind you it really is time to sort out the issues :open_mouth:

Mike.

I’ve updated and it was not worth either.
The punch in/out implementation is a buggy mess already fucked up a session.
I’ve ended up getting Ableton for just 99, which way more value than this update for 49.
Who are they kidding.

Cubase got a looooong way to go to catch up with the DAW industry.

Even if I used Live, I would always use Cubase. It’s not the same thing at all.

I voted no - and my argument is

Steinberg has lost touch with electronic musician completely. IMAO this is where Cubase use to have its core userbase from back in the days. You can clearly tell by the focus they’ve had last few iteration of the program. Its an overweight of features to support acoustic based music in a recording environment and try to recreate a traditional studio workflow. You can tell this also by the sample packs and sounds they put out, they are completely outdated in sound. GUI in the porject window is losing touch with developement in rest of DAW world as they are moving way to slowly. They totally unsuerfirendly way they’ve implemented automation on VSTi - you have to scroll to somewhere completely different place in the project to find the automation! Features like REX support, more innovative plugins, tighter project to sampler integration (you cannot even drag a sample from the project window into Kontakt), overly focus on the mixer so much that they keep forgetting the project window (most new features added to the the mixer like “Add group to channel” are not duplicated into the project window). Media Bay does not support major VSTi from eg Native Instruments and is totally not in touch with real world where users often have a terra of their own samples.

… I could go on.

I say all this because I want Steinberg to become better I grew up using Cubase, and I dont want to let go after all the hrs of learning it. So pls Cubase/ Steinberg - go out there and see how modern producers work with Ableton and take notes.

Like Minimalist has already said, Cubase and Ableton Live are totally different DAW concepts! They are not compareable and I think they never will be. If your workflow fits better in the ableton concept, then stick with it and get happy.

Well, after having been invited to the survey of prioritization by Steinberg, I am grateful that we were privileged to participate. I hope we will see more of this. Bring forth a better way. There is already too much business bull around, and nobody is fooling anyone. Money needs to be made, so let us help, let us pay for what we want instead of something someone else think we want. There is a lot of fantastic forum ideas (both technical and aesthetic) that could help make better products. One can dream, right on! :slight_smile:

Yeah this is a pretty comprehensive list of feature requests that Steinberg has implemented. I was sold on the profiles, the hover buttons, the pre/post button, the independent punch in/out, man I like all these new features. Not to mention there’s also the ability to duplicate events by using the mouse by dragging the middle square tab at the end of the event instead of ctrl + d. Also, I could definitely see myself using the collaboration cloud thing. I make electronic music in a pretty small city and know few people to collab with, so maybe this thing will open up new possibilities.

There are still some bugs and features that I would like fixed and implemented, respectively. I find a lot of people’s requests are quite reasonable, but sometimes you get these people asking for really complex features that probably 2% of users would actually use because they’re completely random, or the feature they want implemented is so strange or complicated. Other “features” they want may include keyboard shortcuts for absolutely every single feature of Cubase… One person was complaining that they had to transpose his event by moving his mouse to the top of the screen where the event transpose section is… he wanted some kind of pop up wheel menu instead… like what the zoinc dude.

Maybe it is you that just cannot appreciate the ideas?

“What is strange to one, is common to another.”