POLL : What is actually the best system for Cubase 8?

What is actually ( 28 January 2015) the best system for Cubase 8, for you?

• 1. Windows 7 Service Pack 1 32 bits
  • 2. Windows 7 Service Pack 1 64 bits
  • 3. Windows 8.1 32 bits
  • 4. Windows 8.1 64 bits
  • 5. OS X Yosemite
  • 6. OS X Mavericks
  • 7. Other system
  • 8. None

0 voters

What is actually ( 28 January 2015) the best system for Cubase 8, for you?
Please, if your(s) system(s) is(are) very ok ( a few minor bugs are normal and acceptable), please select it, otherwise please select none.
You can select 2 systems.
Thanks and be honest! :slight_smile:
Itā€™s not a Windows/Mac battleā€¦
Itā€™s a battle FOR Cubase to be better!!!

As there are more PCā€™s than MACs around and more win 7 than win 8 (so far), and the fact the 64 bit fully came with win 7, I would be surprised if that is not what generates most clicks. People tend to defend their own choice and will click on whatever they have. Very few have experience from multiple platforms. Thus this poll will not yield what it is asking for.

I am a PC man but I run Cubase 8 on a MAC (everything else on a PC). There are both advantages and disadvantages of running Cubase on a MAC. There will be the same situation on a PC, but with different pros and cons. To me the advantages of MAC outnumbered the advantages of the PC, but another person may judge it the opposite way. The only thing I can say for sure is that Mavericks addresses your whole memory installation as the first OS for MAC to do that, and Yosemite still have compatibility problems with many plugins. Upgrading an OS, MAC and PC both, will yield compatibility problems. I ā€œFreezeā€ my installation for many years until a newer OS is reported stable, thus I use Mountain Lion for Cubase on my MACs and donā€™t bother if the system sets 1/3 of the memory aside for ā€œunforeseenā€ tasks. (As you can see from the information below I still use a PC with XP for Cubase 4.5!). In some years I might upgrade hardware and OS. This strategy, and to really know optimal disc management for the different plugins, is what keeps my system very stable. Much more than the PC or MAC question.

Yeah, in this day and age, if a DAW canā€™t run well and reliably on a modern CPU and OS, then maybe itā€™s time to re-evaluateā€¦

:confused:

No offense, but the problem with this poll is that I think very few people will have been able to personally compare the performance on multiple OS. So i think people will just post what they use, without any scientific and useful comparison.

Windows 7 x64 and Windows 8.1 x64.

Iā€™m with Getalife2 as far as the best system goes. A better question is which version of Cubase works without having to go through beta testing on release on your system.

The None option is rather ambiguous, as, on first glance, it could mean either:
a) No systems are good for Cubase, OR
b) No system is better than any other.

That is, two almost opposite interpretations, though technically, the latter is the correct interpretation, given the question.

However, as others have pointed out, the poll is fatally flawed due to the inadequacy of the question to produce meaningful results.

Just highlights that if polls are to produce meaningful statistics, they need careful thinking as to the:
a) Questions => Defines the scope.
b) Options => Defines the coverage.

The options need to cover all scenarios, otherwise the data may be skewed.

Of course, the non-compulsory nature of polls may produce substantial skewing anyway.

Reminds me of the film, The Rise and Rise of Michael Rimmer, staring Peter Cook as a chief of a polling and prediction company:
a) When asked how he could guarantee his boast of being 100% accurate in a forthcoming local election, he replied ā€˜Weā€™ll ask everybody.ā€™
b) To show up one of his competitors as incompetent, he arranged that the otherā€™s pollsters would be intercepted by his own plants that would answer the ā€˜What religion are you?ā€™ question with ā€˜Buddlistā€™, which would erroneously indicate that the English town was 100% so.

Interesting stats so far, indicating that, of those few C8 users who have responded:
a) Most opt for the latest OS, which might indicate just that those using the latest version are most likely to use the latest OS version as well.
b) Win users outnumber OSX users 4 to 1, but that could just mean one or more of:
_ a) Reflects the true overall ratio
_ b) OSX users are more conservative regarding speed of Cubase upgrade (or Win users are more foolhardy!)
_ c) Anything else, given the meagre stats!

If someone are foolish and upgrade their OS to a new version almost every day that comes with new tons of issue are Apple - OSX. And you need to continue pay for it to be able to use your computer?

Thatā€™s foolish if you ask me! :wink:

Just wonder where you get your information from that serves as a base for your statement?

If you havenā€™t notice yet every year, sometime less then a year a new pay OSX version get released by Apple again.

Version 10.7: ā€œLionā€ July 20, 2011.
Version 10.8: ā€œMountain Lionā€ July 25, 2012
Version 10.9: ā€œMavericksā€ October 22, 2013
and now Version 10.10: ā€œYosemiteā€ October 16, 2014.

Why?
Because Apple wants your money and as always the new OSX system adds new bugs that all the software manufactories that support OSX need to take time of from development cycle and try to fix. Instead of adding new features to Cubase they need to address all the issues that comes in new OSX system until the song repeats itself again, and again always a year later. Thatā€™s foolish!

Does Microsoft ā€œWindows-platformā€ update every year to a complete new OS like Apple Does?
Answer is no.

Does Windows 8.1 update cost any money if you had bought Windows 8 already? Answer is no.

That model improves reliability and stability to a work platform. Now Microsoft Windows 10 going to be released this year and are a pay update. Iā€™m sure there will problems and issue on Windows 10 like same as OSX has but it doesnā€™t happen every year like as with Apple. Preview, ā€œrelease candidate - Windows 10ā€ users already reports that Cubase PRO 8 perform great and works already fine on Windows 10 x64. So that is great news.

Best Regards
Freddie

Actually, it will be free if upgrading within a year of release.

If you havenā€™t notice yet every year, sometime less then a year a new pay OSX version get released by Apple again.
macOS - Wikipedia

Version 10.7: ā€œLionā€ July 20, 2011.
Version 10.8: ā€œMountain Lionā€ July 25, 2012
Version 10.9: ā€œMavericksā€ October 22, 2013
and now Version 10.10: ā€œYosemiteā€ October 16, 2014.

Why?
Because Apple wants your money and as always the new OSX system adds new bugs that all the software manufactories that support OSX need to take time of from development cycle and try to fix. Instead of adding new features to Cubase they need to address all the issues that comes in new OSX system until the song repeats itself again, and again always a year later. Thatā€™s foolish!

Does Microsoft ā€œWindows-platformā€ update every year to a complete new OS like Apple Does?
Answer is no.

Does Windows 8.1 update cost any money if you had bought Windows 8 already? Answer is no.

That model improves reliability and stability to a work platform. Now Microsoft Windows 10 going to be released this year and are a pay update. Iā€™m sure there will problems and issue on Windows 10 like same as OSX has but it doesnā€™t happen every year like as with Apple. Preview, ā€œrelease candidate - Windows 10ā€ users already reports that Cubase PRO 8 perform great and works already fine on Windows 10 x64. So that is great news.

Best Regards
Freddie

I have never had as much trouble with Cubase and plugins as when upgrading to Win7 - 64 bit. Approx 40% of my pluggs stopped working. Switching to MAC 64 bit then was just heaven. Everything worked on first try! Since then I have upgraded ā€œimideatelyā€ the OS twice on my MAC. From Leopard to Snow Leopard and directly to Mountain Lion, jumping Lion. Almost trouble free. Lost one plugg (Broomstick) on the latest upgrade, that is all. I hear that Broomstick is gone on PCā€™s too. Cubase has always performed perfectly on my MACs - no matter what Apple OS of the mentioned. I have not taken the step to Mavericks, but the reason is not Cubase. Every OS upgrade from Apple has improved workflow. But I think it is important to know what the OS does to the existing installation. I am reluctant to Maverick and wonā€™t touch Yosemite. As previously stated I use PC for almost everything else than Cubase, and I can not say that upgrading from Win7 to Win8 was even close to trouble free, and to me at least, it was a step backwards when it come to workflow. I am hoping that Win 10 will be better. I do however find your stament about Apple releasing OS rapidly to earn money very true, but I am not one who experiences previous upgrades troublesome. I do however see Yosemite as a ā€œdangerousā€ OS to move into. A lot of frustrated people around. Logic X seem to be operating ok and that is perhaps the only DAW Apple care about. Apple deleting MAC Pro from the range makes me furious. (The new little black box is just a toy). It will eventually force me back to PC. I am not looking forward to that.

Iā€™m running a Mac pro with OSX 10.8.5 an RME Raydat PCIe and UAD Quad card.

and everything (!!) seems to run beautifully.
:slight_smile:

Maybe I could comment to some posts here that the last two Mac OS updates were freeā€¦

I should also say that I never run the latest system - let others have all the problems,
I donā€™t need the latest social networking gimmick Just a working studio.

I have run Cubase since SX and currently 7.5 on a Windows XP then Windows 7 (both 32 & 64 bit). Ever since going to Windows 7 I had nothing but trouble with noise, drop outs, etc. Steinberg support even dialed in remotely after failing to get things running smoothly for well over a year. A few months ago I gave up and switched to a Mac Pro running OSX 10.8 initially. It was the smoothest transition Iā€™ve ever experienced. I was horrified at the potential learning curve but absolutely astounded at how easy setup was. Cubase (and Wavelab) just installed and worked, perfectly. No noise, no drop outs - just smooth as silk. All my audio hardware (MR816CSX (x2) & MR816x, CC121, Analog Factory keyboard) just almost installed themselves with no glitches, no crashes - I was impressed. With some trepidation I recently upgraded to OSX 10.9.5 Mavericks and was very worried about compatibility issues with Cubase 7.5 & Wavelab 7.2. Reading the posts online I decided to go ahead and chance it. For me at least there was not a single problem. Again, smooth as silk. In fact I think its even better now since the upgrade. I have fought Windows ever since 7 came out - and believe me, I am not a Mac fan by any shot. At least I wasnā€™t. Iā€™m still confused by where things are located in OSX and scared to death to try to modify anything. BUT, so far nothings needed to be modified. It just simply works. My next hurdle is to try to see if Virtual Guitarist 2 and Virtual Bassist will work in OSX 10.9.5 and Cubase 7.5. Iā€™ve found one Russian YouTube video that shows a way to make it work in OSX 10.10 but nothing about 10.9.5, plus I need to learn to read Russian (Cryllic or however you spell that). Anyway, just my two cents worth. As for me and my studio, we will serve the Mac from here on out. At least until something better comes along. PS - I for one love Steinberg support. They have been incredible help and I always looked forward to speaking to them at NAMM.

Yosemite is cool. I havenā€™t run into any issues with it. whether on an older MacBook pro or a 2008/9 era pro tower. But I also have not had issues with windows 7 to 10 TP now.

I count myself lucky, but I understand the frustrations from both sides. Like file management. Itā€™s not the same and I prefer Windows there. User simplicity, I prefer Mac. for getting into operations I prefer Windows. For consistent look / flow, I prefer Mac.

Just imagine if BeOS took off and never got sold to Palm.

Windows 7 SP1 64 bit. Iā€™ve been using it for at least 3 years and never had a problem, very stable. In fact, Iā€™m kinda scared to changeā€¦