POLL: Would you like "old" style lane editing, as an option?

Yes I see your point. The real “yes” count could actually be a bit higher than it is !

But 70% is already a large majority…

Almost three quarters of users want this changing back !! Any SB comment on that?

You seriously want the old mousclick-intensive muting/unmuting mess back? I considered that to be the single most frustrating aspect of working in Cubase. Multitake comping is a nearly inescapable part of modern music production, and the old system made the process twice as painful and tedious as it needed to be.

I suppose keeping options available is a good thing…but REALLY?

With respect Vari I dont think you understand the issue. It is with midi data that we want the old method back. I used lanes cut and mute etc. all the time in my workflow very effectively but now that has gone and there is no easy way now to do what I did

I’ve only used lanes for audio, so I retract my disbelief. Best of luck in your quest to resore lost functionality.

Yes, really !!

Why treat midi lanes the same as audio? They are not audio, they have different characteristics!

ONE SIZE WILL NEVER FIT ALL - WE NEED OPTIONS !!!

Yeah a choice would suit all.

Personally, I will not be purchasing any future versions of Cubase, if this functionality is not restored!

Bump!

Could it be an option in PREFERENCES?

Roger

Bump!

Steinberg you need to LISTEN TO US and sort this out ASAP

Oh my …

So, I’m sitting here trying to do some ADR work (dialogue replacement) in Cubase 6, and the new comping method is a DISASTER for this. The old lanes worked PERFECTLY … and I was quite happy to mute the stuff I didn’t need/want on the lanes (I have the top left key ` bound to MUTE). Now this “click to activate” stuff is making me lose my mind, since I can’t work as I did before. I want to select that other take, and … whoops, now that event is completely solo’d, and since it’s a different length than the events above/below it, I don’t hear the correct take anymore for the stuff it overlaps. Even when I mute the event itself (with the actual mute command), when I click on it again it un-mutes!

I’m sure the new lanes were a feature the development team thought would increase workflow speed. And while that may be true for certain situations (choosing different takes of the SAME material) … it’s a disaster for everything else. Literally I’m losing my mind trying to do dialogue sync. I moved to C6 specifically for the zPlane Elastique tools which should make dialogue editing even better-sounding (especially for warping things to picture, which is what I’m doing), but the comping is … well, it’s terrible.

I also use CTRL-Click & Drag to constrain horizontal movement when I move events, but in the new lane system it gives me an audition of that material instead, so I can’t actually work nearly as precisely as before. Unless there’s another key-command I’m missing?

PLEASE bring back the old lanes as an option! Please!!

~Stu

I agree for an option to revert to C5’s way of lane comping, this would be the perfect solution.

i did like to see to make a choice in every track for the new or old behavier. not in the preferences.
jan

This “new” method is a nightmare. I’m all for reverting back to the old method…or making it a choice in prefs.

This is a complicated issue. It is hard to please all the people all the time.

There are some excellent idea in the new system - being able to select one take from many within a folder containing multiple tracks - brilliant.

Selecting the active take by clicking, good. But we need a modifier/disabler when we need to select a take WITHOUT activating it.

Cutting/trimming parts in different lanes in different places - essential.

And there are quirks to the way lanes behave. Sometimes a new take goes into an existing lane, over the top of an existing part, sometimes it goes on a new/empty lane. I can’t see any reason why this happens intermittently.

And today, a new take simply did not play back - the waveform was there, active, but no sound, no meter action. I moved the part to a new lane, suddenly it played back.

And the shades of grey are just not clear enough.

Please continue the creative thinking, SB, it will be great eventually, but it’s not finished yet.

Perhaps you could either copy and paste ( or drag and drop) the overlapping Midi or Audio into a new track or dissolve the multi take track.

Using multiple tracks as a substitute for multiple lanes IS possible, but there are many disadvantages.
For example, if you have insert FX on your track, and you create lots of duplicates of it, then you suddenly have lots of extra FX being created too (otherwise it won’t sound right) So you must also route the new tracks correctly, with correct sends and output and input routing. Very messy, and a workflow killer! It all worked fine in SX3 / C4 / C5! now it’s gone without a trace :frowning:

Just thought i’d bump this to get Steiny to do something… Still can’t use 6!!!

All I can say is…WOW! Oh and SAD! BRING BACK INDEPENDENT LANES!! WTF

Wow. I am utterly and completely baffled. Steinberg completely broke… no destroyed… a behavior. If this is not rectified, bye-bye Cubase for me. I bought the upgrade to 6, but now it will sit unused. I am baffled as to how this passed beta without a huge fight. IMO, they took the worst of Pro Tools’ awful attempt at providing a comp feature, and since that was not awful enough, they grabbed the worst of Logic’s awful, restrictive comp feature set.

Steinberg: Your Lanes were just fine through C5. It was one of my primary reasons for using Cubase. Variaudio made C5 worth it, and then some. This renders C6 completely useless for composing. I rarely posted in the old forums, as I was happy with most things.

Guess I will start looking for a new DAW. I have this horrible feeling this will never be changed. (sigh) I would rather go back to PT. Ugh.