Pono [UPDATED]

Aloha guys and IMHO soooooo true.

I brought this up almost a year ago.
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=198&t=44247&hilit=+fast+food
Sign of the times?

{’-’}

Funny when Neil Young wrote “(I got it home it was a) Loada Crap”. :mrgreen:

And some of the most popular songs of the last century were less than pristine recordings. Office by day, studio by night affairs. Some I wouldn’t have any other way though.
Needles on plastic. Who’d have thought it? Name for a band?

Anybody actually tried and listened to it ?

Interesting development.

+1

If music is your top passion in life, better sound quality is obviously appealing, but I concur with the rest of the herd regarding the apathy of the general public on that front.

And I can’t say that they’re wrong. When I heard stuff on the radio that came off of a scratchy, crappy 45 RPM piece of vinyl and was transmitted over even crappier AM airwaves, I didn’t think, “Wow, it’s a shame the sound quality is so bad.” I thought, “Holy crap. That’s Aretha Franklin!”

UPDATE

dont buy what neil young is selling

do consumers really care about digital quality

Great articles.

Good to know. Sony manufactures (according their own words) poor digital audio gear which create “stair-step” waves unlike any other manufacturer. From now on I rather buy Behringer than Sony. At least they build D/A converters without any “stair-steps”.

I’m surprised he hasn’t jumped on the new, trendy vinyl bandwagon. Or maybe he’s concerned about the needle and the damage done? :wink:

HA! touché

The first comment in that Gizmodo article caused me to laugh out loud: “f* it, now I have to have a toblerone”.

Also enjoyed Jarno’s and Swamptone’s comments!

I have a couple of nephews who are going big into vinyl, and I have a lot of good ones to give them. I’ve been recording them into my computer first, and now I can put them on my old iPod. It’s funny because the tunes actually sound better after recording into the computer because the software automatically reduces clicks and pops, and normalizes (at album level). Best they ever sounded!

Although adding in those sharp corners would probably drive Neil Young crazy!

Yeah, I don’t get the whole vinyl trend other than it being a hipster thing. I always hated the pops, hiss, rumble and other artifacts on LPs and rejoiced when CDs came out. But then, I was never hip.

Just a few thoughts about Pono:
– I’d love to have Neil Young’s hearing measured by an audiologist and see the results
– if the sound is that much better, why don’t they allow us to download a few sample files, seeing as we all have gear more than capable of reproducing them faithfully?
– where else can I pay $400 for a triangular yellow plastic block to hang around my neck?

Mostly hogwash, as said “snake oil” but in audio form …IMO

What we all need is to bring back the good old big speakers cabinets, multi-band graphic equalizers and stereo amps of yesteryear!

All that attention spent on sound quality, but how stable can the stereo image be when the device is constantly shifting position as it hangs around your neck?

Clever marketing though … the next hipster must-have device … at least we’ll still be able to spot them when they shave their beards off: they’ll be the ones with bright yellow plastic bricks hanging around their necks.

Snake audio?

SnakeNado

Has a nice ‘ring’ to it :laughing:

At the heart of the circuitry is a Serpentium Processor.

:smiley: