Pop/Static/Crackle only when track is started or stopped

Hello,

SYSTEM: I have recently installed Cubase Elements 9 using Windows10 Pro (version 1607), 64 Bit, AMD FX-6300 Six-Core Processor, 3.50GHz, 8GB. This a super clean system, recently updated and a fresh install of the OS. Cubase Elements 9 and Sibelius are the only two programs I have installed so far. I use the Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 1st generation.

ISSUE: When I record an audio track, there is a pop of static each time I start the track or stop it during playback. It only happens when play is pressed to start the track and when stop is pressed, never in the middle of playback. The pop/crack increases in volume according to the volume of the track. (louder section, louder pop, a quiet section of the song, a more quiet pop) The happens if I use the space bar or the mouse to control playback. It’s extremely aggravating to hear this when working on a part over and over, the click/pop/crack interferes with listening back to the music.

TROUBLESHOOTING SO FAR: This issue was also happening on the same computer system when I was using Windows 7 Pro and Cubase 7 Artist and also when I tried out Cubase 7 Pro for the trial period. I’ve used both bluetooth and USB mouse and keyboards, thinking that may cause a delay or interference, the issue remains when I use either. I’ve read that turning off the wifi solves similar issues, but it is not the case with this. I’ve tried using a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, same issue.

I’ve used Cubase LE and Cubase 5 in the past with Windows XP and was absolutely thrilled. I was extremely excited to have a new updated system with a newer version of Cubase, but this issue has left me a bit annoyed.

If anyone has experienced this issue with these later versions of Cubase, please let me know what else I could do to resolve this issue. Thank you in advance and I appreciate all time, information and advice concerning this issue.

B

Wondering if you found a resolution to this, as I’m having similar issue but a little less intense. Namely, when individual audio events/blocks play (i.e., from one audio event to another), there is a pop occurring. Also when audio loops back to the beginning of a playback. I have tweaked just about everything thus far in the system (I7 970 x64 Windows 7, with only Cubase 9 and Firefox installed). Latencymon shows all green, and the Cubase test project is totally dry - no effects or processing whatsoever. I’m using has a single VST instrument recorded out - simple sawtooth wave to illustrate the pop occurring at each “audio on” event. Absolutely stymied by this one - wondering if anyone else might have some suggestions or ideas.