Popover Shift-I suggestions

What about a# and ab, d# or db…

… except that it doesn’t translate well. Some languages use dis and des or diss and dess for d sharp and d flat (and sometimes as and es are special cases instead of aes and ees). Other languages use do re mi etc for c d e, with d sharp being either rek, red, or res depending on the language.

(And all those complications only cover the main European languages, not the rest of the world.)

Not to mention quarter tones…

But everybody thinks 8 means an octave :slight_smile:

… well, all of Doricos popovers are already infiltrated by english/american terms, so why not use another realbooky expression…?

I am native german and use all of my music programs in english; and in case of Dorico, almost all youtube videos and vivid communities on steinberg and facebook are in english and if you want to follow along you have to learn it. Although it would be much more easy for me in german :wink:

Although I use Dorico in english, many times I failed to add the correct intervals because I was thinking in portuguese. Because Dorico is translated, I thought that changing the language could make the program to understand it correctly, but that wasn’t the case.
So, I would like to suggest, if it is possible to add the portuguese words for intervals (and other languages as well):

perfect = justa
minor = menor
major = maior
augmented = aumentada

At the moment, none of Dorico’s popovers accept translated input. Allowing input in any language would greatly complicate the parsing code and probably require an altogether different approach. I wouldn’t rule it out for the future but I also wouldn’t expect us to work on this very soon.

Another nice idea would be to be able to select a chord and for shift-i to only add above the top note (or possibly input could be modified to add above top or below bottom). I would use this all the time. Much quicker than trying to select only one note.

I would prefer this as well. I can’t think of a time I’ve ever used Shift-I to add simultaneous intervals to multiple selected notes in a single chord.

The only time is when using Shift-i to transpose - then it’d need to apply to all notes.

You can add “top” to the input to add notes only above the top note of the chord, e.g. “3, 6 top”.

I think this is already possible. Just write “3 top” or “3 bottom” in the popover.

Wow! How did I miss that?

Not true. To insert triplets and tuplets you are actually hard coding!

To specify the unit of the tuplet in the popover, add the letter that corresponds to
the desired duration after the second number in the ratio:
§ Whole note (semibreve): w
§ Half note (minim): h
§ Quarter note (crotchet): q
§ Eighth note (quaver): e
§ 16th note (semiquaver): x
§ 32nd note (demisemiquaver): y
§ 64th note (hemidemisemiquaver): z

I like your idea!

Sorry to bring this thread back — I don’t think it was necessary to create a new one :
I constantly waste time over an inconsistency with the transpose function of the shift-i popover. When I need to transpose down, I need to use the minus sign to make it clear I transpose down. When I transpose up, I need to NOT use the plus sign, otherwise… nothing happens. And then I grumble, and write the whole thing again without any plus sign. Please, make it possible to transpose up with or without the plus sign (as you’ve done with “add bars” in shift-B popover). It will add consistency throughout those popovers and will make the use easier on us.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, Marc. I’ll make a note of this and we’ll see if it’s something that can be simply added.