Popovers: more forgiving (or, "treb" should be enough for a treble clef) and autocompleting

In the Clef popover, it would be really nice if I didn’t need to type the word “treble” to get a treble clef. Certainly “treb” is clear enough that it should create a treble clef.

It would be nice if more popovers behaved like the Cue popover—as I type, it could show me a list of matching commands so I know if I’m going to get anything when I press enter.

However, as far as autocomplete goes in the Cue popover, it’s a little weird that if I type in a complete name of an instrument, I can’t press return to select it. I have to arrow down to select it. If I type in “Viola” and press return, it should work.

“g” will give you a treble clef (and “f” a bass clef). Is that good enough?

“g” is good, sure! Thank you, I didn’t know that one. I still think “treb” should work too.

According to the manual (page 306), typing the full name of the instrument you want to cue from and hitting Enter TWICE should work. Does it not work?

I don’t exactly disagree with you about “treb”, but one character for each of treble and bass and two characters for alto and tenor (ca and ct) is fewer keystrokes than “treb” and that’s more important to me.

Thank you, again, for pointing this out. Obviously I’m working my way through the manual but hadn’t caught this yet. Yes, twice does work. (It is admittedly oddly non-standard.)

Following up on this again: if I type “cello” and the only instrument appearing is “Violoncello,” pressing return twice does nothing. I need to type the whole instrument name and then press double-press return, or type “cello,” down arrow, return. If I type enough to eliminate all instruments but one, there should be a more efficient way of selecting it than needing to arrow down to it. I wouldn’t complain if it were just nonstandard autocomplete behavior — but it’s inefficient, and adding small inefficiencies to processes we need to do hundreds of times in the course of work is unsatisfying.

Following up on this again: it seems that if I type “cello” and the only instrument appearing is “Violoncello,” pressing return twice does nothing. I need to type the whole instrument name and then press double-press return, or type “cello,” down arrow, return.

If I have typed enough to eliminate all instruments but one from the list, and then I press return, this should be enough for the program to accept my choice. There should be a more efficient way of selecting it than needing to arrow down to it or click it with the mouse. I wouldn’t complain if it were just nonstandard autocomplete behavior (which is obviously is) — but it’s inefficient, and adding small inefficiencies to processes we need to do hundreds of times in the course of work is unsatisfying.

I agree that the cue popover’s behaviour is less than ideal, and I would hope that in the future we will be able to smooth off this rough edge.