Port 51117

Hi,
is the port 51117 still relevant for VST Connect 5 / Performer?

I read at LAN connection not detected by Connect Performer - #30 by musicullum that port 51117 is used for the UDP broadcast. This isn’t mentioned in the manual for VST Connect 5 anymore, but it wasn’t for previous versions or Performer either as far as I can see.

Sorry that I can’t just go and try it out.

In 99% of all cases nobody has to worry about this at all. Problems only arise when you install so called ‘network security’ software which blocks out everything. My personal view is that you don’t need anything like that anymore nowadays.
Apart from that, yes, UDP broadcast via port 51117 is required to work within the local betwork.

1 Like

Thanks for the swift reply! I’m afraid distrustful network security software might be exactly what’s going to come up. :sweat_smile:

Hello,

In 99% of all cases nobody has to worry about this at all. Problems only arise when you install so called ‘network security’ software which blocks out everything. My personal view is that you don’t need anything like that anymore nowadays.

That may have been the case a few years ago but is no longer the case in the large studio networks. It used to be anyone “on the inside”, i.e. within the lan, which includes VPN employees, were considered “safe”. Now unfortunately the current threat model is “everything is unsafe”. Paranoid? Not up for consideration, the studios do as they see fit. Painful at times. All the products we work with - SourceConnect, SessionLinkPro, AudioMovers, Evercast, SoHoNet, Haivision, Unity, RVON, VLink, a bunch of others, and our own WebRTC-based software - have listings of specific ports and needs published just so enterprise users can get them running. It’s challenging sometimes.
Hugh

Ok, right you are. I will try to get it into the knowledgebase as well.
VST Connect uses UDP ports 51111 - 51113, and UDP 51117 for local connections.

We have updated the information in https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/360012899079#udp-ports so to contain port informations.

1 Like

Hello musicullum,
Thank you for adding the information, it will help others. That page had quite a bit of useful setup information. We don’t use vst connect yet but as it matures I expect it will be useful.

Here’s the title of the section where you list the ports used -

Network settings - UPD ports used by VST Connect

Sorry to be pedantic but it should be UDP. Simple typo.

Hugh

Yup, my experience also

corrected, thanks for the hint.

1 Like