Possible Bug: Notes in other voices

Not sure if this has been seen by anyone, but I have a viola part that occasionally goes between unison and divisi.

It’s behaved well enough up to the last few measures. The first few measures are unison. Then is added the divisi part. All seems to work well. Back to unison. All still good. Then, when I add a new divisi part a few measures later, all of the unison stuff in between is now being notated as if a second part is there (stems up), with a second voice rest being displayed.

In the graphic below, the second stave, 1st measure was showing stems down. As I added the second voice in the 2nd measure, the 1st measure went to stems up and displayed the rest.
Screen Shot 2016-10-29 at 11.11.40 PM.png
Robby

OK, so I found out something else…

I started the multi voice work before I really understood what I was doing. So I have a staff that starts with blue (v1 I am assuming) and red (v2?). I guess I took a break for the night, and the next day, I needed to add another voice in the next few bars, so I hit Shift+V (as I thought I needed to do). So in the first bar, blue and red, in the next bar blue and green. Blue and green last for several bars. After coming back to work on this piece after vacation, where I was reading this site almost daily, I hit just V this time to change to the new voice. However, where I have the blue and green notes, I now have a a bunch of red rests that I cannot seem to go away.
Screen Shot 2016-10-29 at 11.36.21 PM.png
Robby

Hi Robby, you can tell Dorico where a voice should start/end by selecting the note, opening the properties panel, and ticking the starts/ends voice property.

Once you have started a second voice (red), you go back to it not by using SHIFT-V but just be using V again. Otherwise (as you have found) you are creating additional voices (green, etc.) Using that approach, along with the “Ends Voice” property should let you see voices where you want voices and rests only where you want to see them.

Let me look into that.

Robby

Yep, “Ends Voice” did the trick.

Maybe this isn’t a bug after all, but a design feature.

Robby

I think it is a design feature, that enables you to have different voices created inside a bar (not at the beginning of it), end them before the end of the bar… It is actually very different from what we are used to doing in Sibelius… but it is what we do when we play ! No need to hide rests or delete them, if the voice has not begun or has already ended.

You can even have the same voice starting and ending more than once in a single bar - and beam between the two snippets of voice if you want.

Notation like this (used for string players, to show the same pitch note played on alternately different strings) doesn’t need any “faking” in Dorico. The stem up and stem down notes are in different voices and all the rests are hidden…
bariolage.png

revisiting this question, after much has changed in Dorico: I’m trying to recreate something very much like the attached image, from Bach’s E-Major Partita for solo violin (an example of bariolage), and finding it impossible. Starting/stopping voices, and removing rests, doesn’t get me there. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 8.47.02 PM.png

Hi dtrueman.

Here you are, you can study the dorico file (unzip it), use it to copy those bars…

I did exactly what Rob suggested : one upstem voice, one downstem voice, flipped the stems according to the voice (downstem voice down, upstem voice up), removed rests, beamed according to voice…
Bariolage.dorico.zip (802 KB)
Bariolage.png

thanks!

Thanks so much for your help on this Marc. I have a subtle follow up issue. I’m trying another variation on this with slurs, and am not able to get quite what I want, because I can’t do 1) cross-voice slurs or 2) hide stems.

In the attached, the left measure is as close as I can get, but it has a stem and has an additional E in the bottom voice that really shouldn’t be there, but is the only way I can get the slur in. Whereas the right measure looks right in terms of the voices/stems, but I can’t get the second slur in. Apologies if this is obvious, and it’s subtle (I can live with the left one if necessary), but would be nice to get it right!

Thanks, Dan Trueman
Screen Shot 2019-09-26 at 10.44.53 AM.png

You can have cross-voice slurs if you select the first note, then Cmd/Ctrl+click the last note, then hit S. The slur might end up on the wrong side of the stave but you can then hit F (for Flip). Further adjustments can be carried out in Engrave mode.

sure enough! thanks for the info and quick response!