Possible bug? Wrong stem direction when printing piano part

Hello everyone!

I tried printing a piece of music for Trombone and Piano. When printing the full score, everything is printed as entered in Dorico. When printing the piano part, in one bar the stem directions are wrong.

I already tried the “propagate” option, but it did not work. How can I fix this? Or is it a bug that needs fixing?

This is how it looks in Dorico in the full score:
Unfortunately I can attach only one picture…

And this is how the part looks when I try to print it:
Unbenannt2

Welcome to the forum @PeterC !

Stem direction is indeed something that can be set locally, meaning only affecting the layout where you initially made the change. Have you tried propagating properties from Engrave mode as well as Write mode?

That said, if you make sure those notes are in a down-stem voice to begin with, rather than what I suspect is an up-stem voice, you shouldn’t need to flip the stems manually anyway.

Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction!

My error was: I tried propagating properties in write mode, but only for the full score. Not realizing that each part has it’s own layout.

Once I edited the piano layout separately, it worked!

I also try to avoid getting into useless additional voices, because I had to that in Sibelius for decades. Gladly, Dorico offers the elegant solution of just pressing “N” or “M” to cross over to the adjacent staves.

Propagating is intended to remove the need to make the same edit twice, once per layout! It’s simply that it only applies to properties that are available in the mode you are currently in. I.e. propagating from Write mode won’t copy the status of properties that are only accessible in Engrave mode.

Ah yes, some of those notes are crossed from the top staff. However, the principle applies: you might find you more reliably get the stem directions you want if you use voices that correspond to the stem direction you want those notes to have, when multiple voices existing in the same bar.

In the case given, all three notes could have been on the same bass-clef stem with just a guide line to show the melodic direction (and perhaps the upper staff rests hidden.)