Possible iOS version

I think a cool idea (though I dont know how difficult would be to implement :slight_smile: would be some kind of complementary app for iPad, like the logic remote app for logic Pro. It could have the possibility to write the music manually with the apple pencil and that be translated more or less in real time to Dorico on the computer. I dont know if any other notation program has a function like that.

While such an app that exported acceptable XML might be a worthy effort, I would prefer the Dorico Team continue to devote its energies to its original roadmap to develop the desktop application and postpone any diversions until that primary task is farther down the road(map).

On a somewhat related note to this conversation, IK Multimedia just announced its Hammond B3X app for the iPad today. The cost for it is $100, the highest price I can remember seeing for an iPad music app. IK Multimedia announced the PC version of B3X back in September at a cost of $300.

The market for serious music apps on iOS is continuing to expand…

I see also that Steinberg’s own just-announced Cubasis 3 costs $50 in the US.

Cubase 3 for iOS is out.

Cubasis. The decision not to offer an upgrade price is … bold.

There’s no way to sell at an upgrade price in the App Store.

There’s no way to sell a product for an upgrade price and a full price at the same time. The way some companies get around this is to inform current users via in-app notifications that the new app will be launched and made available for a short time at a special discount price . This encourages immediate purchasing and rewards loyalty.

There’s actually a way: the discount bundle price. Pack both apps, the old and the new one, in a bundle. Goodnotes has just done this, with the Goodnotes 5 upgrade. I’ve got it discounted this way.

It’s possible to offer upgrade paths for existing users who have an older version of the app on an iOS device using In-App Purchases. Omni Group does this, and also offers trial and educational versions. Here are some examples:

https://support.omnigroup.com/omnioutliner-3-upgrades/#with-discount
https://support.omnigroup.com/of3-ios-iap/#with-discount

It’s likely that you can even have a “free” version of the app with limited functionality that everyone can “buy,” then have different pricing levels of IAPs based on whatever criteria you set- existing user, education user, etc.

The problem with all of these approaches is that none of them is officially sanctioned by Apple, and there are many, many documented cases of the App Store review process arbitrarily ruling that an approach that was OK yesterday is not OK today.

The Omni Group is the poster child of well-behaved, admired Apple developers. Anything they are doing is well thought out and not going to get on Apple’s bad side. Several of their developers are active in the iOS developer social media world. You could reach out to them, and Apple for more guidance on the issues.

Coming back to this …

There was a thread a while back with some support for increasing the level of information around the carat. If I recall correctly, that wasn’t something that the development team wanted to do - and personally I think that’s right. However, it doesn’t get around the fact that on large screens, the relevant information for Note Input is often a sum and headturn away from where the action is.

So - how about making all relevant Note Input information available on an Android/IOS screen and having it updated in real time? Ridiculous on Tablets, but perfect on a mobile phone parked below and centre of the screen.

Just food for thought as and when mobile apps start to be considered…

My two cents…

I think there is the potential of having a strong market an iOS app for Dorico, but I may be in the minority of how I see it showing up.

While it would be a bonus to have some sort of handwriting input or even annotating on an iOS version, I don’t think it’s strictly necessary, especially at the start. With the addition of mouse and keyboard support in the iOS 13 updates, and the ability for those that are interested to connect a midi controller into an iPad, a straight over port for writing and platform-specific sounds (similar to StaffPad) would make for a compelling answer to the iPad Pro’s search for professional-level notation software. (Obviously, I understand it’s far more complicated than just pushing a button.)

I believe an app in that wheel-house, rather than trying to be an alternative to StaffPad, would give Dorico access to a larger market share and would be the first professional notation software ala mouse/keyboard to enter the iPad Pro iOS arena.

Personally, I am far more efficient with a mouse and keyboard than I could ever be drawing stuff in.

Some features from the StaffPad universe I think would be worth exploring quickly is a reader app - in that case with annotations available - that can receive push updates in real-time. Also the ability to save and see the annotations of musicians reading the music is invaluable.

Obviously for the time being it is important for Dorico to continue its development in the Mac arena. The updates from Version 1 to 3 are absolutely amazing and Dorico is already at a place where I have convinced many of my fellow musicians and composers to make the jump from their other tried and true software.

I am sure Daniel and the team have some amazing things planned for us and will develop extras like an iOS reader app or iOS Dorico app as it makes sense in the development plan of the software.

Ultimately, if it was out today, I would pay upwards of $100-$150 dollars to have a viable Dorico iOS application and I hope that comes out sooner than later!

From what I’ve seen on their product videos, this is a really great extension to the whole StaffPad experience.

What I would say here is, I’ve been thinking that maybe Steinberg/Yamaha corporate could do more.

Dorico needs a presence in the iOS sphere. Why not take a leap and consider making real efforts to form a ‘Strategic Alliance’ with an already established third party tool…? What value could be had if both companies shared and deeply strengthened specifically MusicXML exchange between the two…? Make it really robust (and a pleasure) moving files/projects around.

The very fact that MusicXML isn’t a hard and fast technology (i.e. open to a degree of interpretaion), means this would be the raison d’etre of the collaboration - to find ways of making it a joy working with Dorico and a yet to be defined ‘Product xxxx’ on your iPad/iPhone.

Call it a ‘Product Partnership’, ‘Steinberg Recommends’, ‘Technology Partner’ or whatever you will… If two companies could work tightly together, sharing, collaborating and ensuring a really ace workflow from desktop to portable platforms, this would be the goal. Its win, win… At any point in the future, companies could part ways amicably - since neither is ‘beholden’ to the other necessarily…

Xenon Labs Inc ‘Symphony Pro’ springs to mind… (even has a handwriting recognition extension, as a one time in-app purchase). Soon to be releasing v6.0 of the software. There are others to look at of course. I have no affiliation.

Some ‘Sunday food for thought’… :wink:
Bob

Considering the current disputes between Apple and Epic Games, I wouldn’t expect them to consider any special treatment for some minority-interest special-purpose app like Dorico :slight_smile:

Given the investment Steinberg has made to bring Dorico into being, does anyone seriously doubt that the company does extensive market research and has evaluated the pros and cons of iOS apps and alliances with other companies?

Agreed Rob - I wasn’t thinking about any sort of Dorico/Apple tie-up.

Oh my god.! Sorry, do you think that was just a bunch of me trying to tell them their job - is that what it came across like…? Am I being that naive…?

I have no idea what others are thinking, so please do not think I am singling you out; and I have no objection to people making suggestions: that is one of the reasons this forum exists. Still, with surprising frequency I read comments from many sources that suggest (perhaps unintentionally) that Dorico and Steinberg are groping blindly in the dark and need business advice to increase their sales. The thought is amusing, but it also does a disservice to those who work so hard to bring us this software and have carefully crafted long-term plans for the software (“the roadmap”). I finally decided to say something, so (again) please don’t feel I was singling you out.