Possible nasty video bug and workaround (Mac)

Hi. I’m running C6 32 bit on a Mac Pro with Snow Leopard. One of the projects I have in is a tv series and the editors had sent the latest episode as an mp4 quicktime. When I loaded it into Cubase the playback was terrible, very jerky, dropping frames all over the place so I thought I’d just convert the video to an H264 quicktime, using Apple’s Quicktime Pro to do the export. When I imported that file into Cubase 6 it caused a serious crash every time you tried to move the video file on the arrange window or even when trying to play it. The crash would mean that you’d have to restart the Mac before you could attempt to launch Cubase again. What I’ve now done to get it working is to convert the original video using mpegstreamclip, again to a H264 quicktime but there must be something different in the file format because this plays back fine and doesn’t crash. I didn’t have this problem in Cubase 5 so I presume it’s a bug but at least there seems to be a way round it for now. Wasted quite a bit of time finding a solution so hope this will be helpful to somebody.

Rob

Yes there’s definitely something going on with this. Today I exported another H264 quicktime from Final Cut Pro using the Quicktime Conversion export feature and once again when I imported it into C6 playback was very choppy and uneven. Took the same file and reconverted it to H264 using Mpegstreamclip and that runs really well in C6, very smoothly as it should. Has anybody else seen this or is it just me? Would somebody from support like me to send a couple of small example h264 quicktimes for testing, one made with Quicktime Pro and another with Mpegstreamclip? This is the same through my Decklink Card and with the Onscreen video window btw.

Rob