Possible to assign modulator to any plug-in parameter?

Duplicate.

Hi - I thought at one time I knew how to do this, but now I’m not so sure …

Is it possible to assign Cubase’s Mod Machine plug-in to modulate any parameter of any other plug-in? For example a length of a reverb tail of a 3rd party plug-in, or an EQ node, etc.?

Actually what I’m trying to do is gentle modulation of the pitch of the reverb tail, and also its length. Anyone know how to do that from 1st principles using Cubase’s stock modulation plugins?

Thanks for any thoughts -

Mod machine… no. It is a vst effect. You need something that you can use midi control.

Have a look here:

I think that is what you want, or something like that.

Alexis,

You do electronic music? I can’t remember…

You can also hand modulate/adjust things which is what I do, but I feel for electronic music and for sync that is common to E.M., you would need the assist of something you can lock to tempo for sync. Like what I posted above…

Hi, thanks TEEF.

No EDM creation here, I’m trying to add some variation to reverb tails, for example pitch, length, etc. In this case I wouldn’t even need them tempo-synced, but I would want them automated.

I have a few Melda plug-ins, you never know what they have when you look deep inside, I’ll see if I can use them for this. If not, maybe the cable guys one.

Thx for the info. :slight_smile:

Gotcha. Well, the short story is you can do it the old-fashioned way. Insert a plugin after the Reverb for your modulation , and work with the wet dry mix as well as the depth and then just hand automate the length of your Reverb tails from within the plugin. Do you use Quick controls? That could really make things easy for you.

Thx TEEF! Although I’d prefer automated automation using an LFO, I can see doing it that way. But for pitch modulation of the tail? Shy of putting a plug-in like Pitch Shift and automating that I’m stumped, but that chain seems complex enough to make me question whether there’s a better way …

Check that out. It seems to have all the parameters you’re looking for in one plug in. So there’s your all-in-one Reverb. Now you just have to control it.

For that:
http://www.kvraudio.com/product/midi-shape-shifter-by-midi-shape-shifter.

Speaking off the top of my head, you’ll have to take the parameters in the Reverb plugin and assign them to Quick controls. Then you’ll have to use that midi plugin and map it to the quick controls. This is really theoretical for me as I’ve never done what you’re asking, but I think this will work! Set up a blank project with a static audio file and do some testing. After a few kill brain cells I think you’ll get it all up and running. Then you can apply it to your project that you’d like to add it to.

Two very interesting links, thanks TEEF!

I’m also looking at Melda MVibrato and MAutoPitch. I think just about all the Melda plugs have LFO controls (?), so if I send the reverb there, it might be another way to get the job done, and I can keep my own reverbs (they have a free version to try, a nice plus as well). PS - “MIDI Shape Shifter” only for MIDI input it seems? … not sure how I would send my audio reverb tail to it …

Valhalla does look very nice … it’s in my hip pocket to try if the Melda don’t pan out.

With midi shape shifter, it says you can generate midi data. That midi data could control a quick control. The quick control controls the plugin parameter you assign to it. …

At least that was my thinking of that whole thing that I just sent to you.

Ah, got it! Thanks -

as long as the right track is selected, as Quick Controls are assigned to A TRACK, and not to a specific plugin instance :wink:

I once wrote a tutorial on controlling plugin automation parameters using MIDI via realtime conversion: MIDI CC zu Automation und Automation zu MIDI CC - Auf Deutsch - Steinberg Forums (german)

Thanks for chiming in and for the specifics and your tutorial. Like I wrote earlier, most of what I wrote was based on theory, not on anything actual. It’s awesome to see your Technique and that something like this is possible.

Thank you for that, TabSel!

I thought I was home free last night, found a pitch shifter that had LFO control (Melda’s MVibrato), but unfortunately it imparted a phasy sound when the reverb was sent to it. I also noticed that on Cubase’s stock vibrato plug :frowning: